LegacyGT.com

Rim0Wned - Potholes In Chicagoland FTL

gfxdave99

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be happy this happened on low speed. Imagine hitting a pot hole and getting wheel crack like this at 80+ mph on highway.

Forged rims FTW.

Probably. The City has a program to re-imburse people for just such an incident. There should be a link to it on the City of Chicago page. You will need to document where it happened - a picture of the pothole would be very helpful to have.

I would also talk to the wheel manufacturer to see what they have to say about this.

You have very bad luck with wheels.

Good luck collecting on that :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Chromes are back on... man thats a lot of (*@&(*& work when you dont have an impact wrench...

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/chromeswap1.jpg

Look at that Primer grille... its SOOO SEXY!

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/chromeswap2.jpg

My poor car is confused..

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/chromeswap3.jpg

Look at that aggressive stance!!!

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/chromeswap4.jpg

You know black rims wouldnt look bad on this car...

http://www.stimpco.com/carpix/chromeswap5.jpg

Archie helping out showing the love with the shocker pose...

Anyway it was dark by the time we were done so i'll be scoping the pothole tomorrow after work.

Updates to come..

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

1) Good thing you didnt sell the chrome :lol:

2) This is why I run cheap 17" :icon_tong

3) You put the spare on the rear when all the others are 18" :icon_conf Hope you didnt drive far :(

We weren't too far from my house so using the spare wasnt too big an issue, that pothole was like a landmine!

1) Good thing you didnt sell the chrome :lol:

2) This is why I run cheap 17" :icon_tong

3) You put the spare on the rear when all the others are 18" :icon_conf Hope you didnt drive far :(

You know theres a couple posts on that, nobody has been able to come up with a straight answer on it..

Some people say it's okay some people say it will fry your diff (shrug) ?

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Whoa!

I've had a rim crack like that in one spot, but not all the way around. I *railed* something in the road that I didn't see in time on my old nissan (17" stock rims). The part of the rim that hit the thing was cracked and bulged up, but the rest of the rim was fine. I'd definitely say that that isn't normal

Email to PIAA customer service sent. I was completly honest and told them they were purchased 2nd hand and I wouldnt be contacting them if it wasnt for the fact that this isnt any ordinary failure.

Hopefully i can get out and get an actual pic of the crater tonight. :)

[quote name=rclark0032)

3) You put the spare on the rear when all the others are 18" :icon_conf Hope you didnt drive far :([/quote]

some ppl like to preach without actual first hand experiance. i agree its porbably not the best thing in the world but when using the temp spare as designed (for temparary transportation) i think there is nothing to worry about. pluse u gota do what u gota do

Good luck getting the city to reimbruse you for the wheel. How do the others look? Any stress cracks? Are you going to buy a replacement?

1. It doesnt hurt to try

2. I looked at the other rims now that they are off the car and they look okay but now it really has me thinking if the other three are just time bombs waiting to happen (sigh)

3. I sent a nice lil letter to piaa customer service today explaining how i know because they are 2nd hand this isnt covered under what their normal warranty is but explained that I feel they have some liability given that if this rim would have given out on something at higher speed it could have been more serious and i could have even had a serious incident and been injured

So i am going to first explore if PIAA or The town in which it happened (which i need to figure out exactly what city it is because all the towns along mannheim kinda blend together) and then make a decision from there.

The best thing is that I have my bling rims still so I have plenty of time to figure out what I'm going to do.. but I must say going back to the PooTenzas after having the Proxes4 that the pootenzas are just that. The car feels less planted and much less planted in corners.

Because if you dont remember I bought the PIAA's 2nd hand with curb rash and had them refinished and then the 2 they refinished didnt match the other two so then i had to have them re-do all four.. So then if i cant get re-imbursed im looking at spending 350 for a new piaa rim, and then having them strip a perfectly good new rim and re powdercoat it to make it match the other three.

I think i may just go have a nice cry LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Updates, PIAA moved their corp office over the last 2 weeks and i emailed them today from my work account saying "emm hello does ANYBODY read this email box" and got a response back right away explaining they had some issues where a bunch of mails got lost during the move (hosting mail server at your site = bad idea) anyway so I re-forwarded them the message today and will hopefully hear back from them tomorrow.

Here is the Long/Lat of the pothole

N 41°55.650'

W087°53.085'

Pics of the 'hole' attached

DSC_4712.jpg.b699c7458b5e0d8c9ead9c3d51d45783.jpg

DSC_4716.jpg.11b64c945f6f4cd8aa0f4ba67ac9bc79.jpg

Weak Sauce. I was expecting more of a crator. That's what a new sewer cover looks like downtown. You should see the bad ones...

Anyway, I hope you squeeze a little cashola out of somebody for this mishap.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Archived