LegacyGT.com

Differential Gaskets?

I see mention of replacing metal gaskets on the front and rear differentials when replacing fluids in them from the vacation pix, but I can't seem to find some part numbers. Anyone know offhand? I assume I'll need one for the front drain plug and 2 for the drain and fill plugs on the rear?

On the MT transaxle, the drain plug gasket is either copper or fiber based. I have changed my front transaxle fluid about 5 times without changing it. I just keep reusing it.

On the rear diff, you just need a bit of "Blue" threadlocker for the drain bolt only. The fill bolt gets nothing.

actually the rear plugs dont even need any thread lock i have been changing diff fluid for a year at my subie dealer and have never seen one leak

and as for the front diff it is larger than the oil drainplug gasket it is made of copper and does not really crush much but you should still change it every time just like the oil drain plug and tranny plug gaskets

I kinda figured I could just reuse them with a bit of threadlocker .. now, to ponder on how to fill that rear diff without investing in a pump :lol: Guess I'll try a bunch of tubing and gravity.

I kinda figured I could just reuse them with a bit of threadlocker .. now, to ponder on how to fill that rear diff without investing in a pump :lol: Guess I'll try a bunch of tubing and gravity.

Don't bother wasting time & oil on trying to pour the oil in, unless you have a 6ft piece of hose, and pour from above, while someone holds & watches underneath.

Or, do as I did, just go to your local autoparts store and pick up a gear oil transfer pump. They are cheap, $7-8 bucks, and they look like an oversized pump for hand soap, but with a 12-18" clear vinyl hose attached. You can fill the rear diff in just a minute or two, without a mess, and by yourself!

The front diff washer is made out off copper and they dont really leak. It takes a long time for that washer to wear out. On the rear you dont need anything. You just have to tighten up the plugs. However you should always replace the washer for the drain plug on the oil pan.

Archived