LegacyGT.com

1 hour at Road America Race Track

garvin

:icon_mrgr Just wanted to let everyone know about a crazy time at the track today.

I hit 119mph before clamping on the binders at turn 5. It was a tour of sorts where they let 50 to 100 cars out on the track to take some laps at a maximum speed of 60mph. I have no idea where the pace car went. We were driving as hard as I would dare for about an hour. The highlight was trailing a porsche. He would pull slowly on the straits. I was proud as hell of my little toy. Bmw's audi's fire birds I could pull away from a all of them.

It was a the most fun I have ever had driving a car.

TDC thanks for the rocket.......!:icon_mrgr

odd, many touring laps are limited to 60 mph and no passing allowed.. which club was this?

All the touring laps or lapping days we have in this area have no speed restrictions. I attended one at Dunnville Autodrome this very evening, "only passing on the straights and when signalled by the guy in front of you" is the normal rules.

:icon_mrgr Just wanted to let everyone know about a crazy time at the track today.

I hit 119mph before clamping on the binders at turn 5. It was a tour of sorts where they let 50 to 100 cars out on the track to take some laps at a maximum speed of 60mph. I have no idea where the pace car went. We were driving as hard as I would dare for about an hour. The highlight was trailing a porsche. He would pull slowly on the straits. I was proud as hell of my little toy. Bmw's audi's fire birds I could pull away from a all of them.

It was a the most fun I have ever had driving a car.

TDC thanks for the rocket.......!:icon_mrgr

I always loved the RA track. Glad to see you had a blast!:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

60mph speed limit:) shhhh!

Only handling uprgrade so far rims:( Really need some sways. The rest of the work is on the way. Now after a taste, I can see the slope that I have stepped on. Damn thing slippery....!

Speeding around during touring laps is pretty phenomenally stupid. Please join the real driving school and get some instruction before you ruin things for that car club and others by getting into an accident.

Warren

Wangspeed is serious, and that's why I asked earlier about the track day thing. You dont want to do something that you dont know what the consequences are.. you could have been easily black marked and never participate the event ever again.. if there are rules to stay 60 mph or below, you should follow them. Going out there driving balls to the walls without proper instruction or knowledge of the track is really asking for a lot of trouble, either you know that or not.

you're right, this slope is slippery, just dont do anything that can make you fall, cuz when you fall and your head hits the pavement, it's gonna be a bitch.

Keefe

I have been racing various toys my entire life fellas.

I know the consequences of my actions and except them. There was no one anywhere near me when I was driving that fast. I was all by myself on the track. As I stated I have no idea where the pace car went. I have been on the track several times before with other vehicles. If I knew that this was going to disturb you guys I guess maybe I should keep my fun to myself. Thanks for your concern....

I have been racing various toys my entire life fellas.

I know the consequences of my actions and except them. There was no one anywhere near me when I was driving that fast. I was all by myself on the track. As I stated I have no idea where the pace car went. I have been on the track several times before with other vehicles. If I knew that this was going to disturb you guys I guess maybe I should keep my fun to myself. Thanks for your concern....

We're just here to give you a heads up so that you can continue coming to the track.. there are just certain rules that you should know by now and abide by, otherwise someone will kick you out of the event and they dont expect you to return.

I see you're not that much older than me and I certainly do not know how much track time you have actually seen or how many cars you have driven, but just giving you a heads up that you need to understand the track ettiquettes, regardless of how many times you been to the track and regardless of which club that runs it. If you want to go that fast, sign up for an HPDE or get that race license or time trial license.

It's not disturbing if you were doing just touring laps and following the speed limit, regardless of the pace car, not like the pace car is going to be out there the whole session of 1 hour anyways. It is disturbing when you are driving balls to the walls during just touring laps. Different clubs will run things differently, normally for majority of the clubs, touring laps require no helmet and no passing and the speed limits are no more than 60mph. Anything more than that would be and should be an HPDE event.

Keefe

Nice. Sounds like you had a good time nonetheless.

At the last performance driving event I went to, I also had 1 hour of track time. There were lead & follow sessions, followed by hot lap sessions. It was a blast, and that's the way to do it because everyone there was thoroughly briefed on track etiquette, passing rules, driving lines, etc. And during the hot laps you can drive as fast as you feel comfortable. The only thing that sucked was that I was driving my Elantra at the time which was one of the slowest cars out there. I gave those Mustangs and GTO's hell though, lol. I'm going again next month, this time with an STI. :)

^ sounds like the west coast way of running things I assume.

most east coast HPDE events is broken down to basically 3 groups:

Beginner = requires an instructor in the passenger seat throught the entire day

Intermediate = requires an instructor, after evaluations and instructor's discretion, you may drive 'solo' on the track

Advanced = passenger instructor not required

So with anywhere from 3 to 4 sessions a day ranging at 20 to 30 minutes each, this gives you real-time feed back from the instructor from the passenger seat, to make sure you are learning properly and keeping you consistent more often.

Of course there's class time as well (about 1 hour each ranging from 2, 3 or even 4 class sessions) that the head instructor will teach track ettiquette, briefing of the flags, and all the other formalities.

The one good thing about west coast is that you guys get to run pretty relaxed and pretty much give you the benefit of driving solo pretty early in your driving career.. east coast (from my participation) is more focused in getting the students to be better drivers quickly and by supplying a required instructor in the passenger seat to point out all the things you can improve on.. IMO, nothing is better than real-time correction/feedback.

I think it's a lot harder to learn on your own because as a driver, most of the time you can be out there making the same bad habits and mistakes all this time while you drive, especially bringing bad street habits.. and usually, as a young high performance type of driver, you're too busy having fun and driving the way you feel comfortable. Is it safe? That can vary as I have seen some VERY bad habits that will cause a lot of trouble in the future if you dont get it corrected.

Keefe

^ That's the one thing I thought was missing from this event. I would've liked an instructor to give me some tips as I drove. Fortunately though, the next event will have in-car instruction. We'll have Apex Driving Academy providing the instruction so it should be a different experience. Although we'll still have solo seat time as well.

This was at Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX by the way.

having in-car instruction IMO is a faster way to improve.. or have some instructor watch your in-car videos.. but seriously, an in-car instructor is soo much better to have. There's some things that the camera doesnt catch.
Keefe

Archived