LegacyGT.com

2007 Canadian spec.B Test Drive Report

Jon in CT

This is from http://www.auto123.com/en/info/news/roadtest,view,SUBARU.spy?artid=67525. Note that prices mentioned are Canadian dollars and I presume the "interesting numbers" at the end of the article were supplied by SCI and represent the Canadian market.

August 17, 2006

2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Spec.B: First Impressions

Getting closer to perfection

MONTREAL, Quebec - We were invited by Subaru to drive the new 2007 Legacy, which is adding a new model to its already substantial lineup, the 2.5GT Spec.B.

Powered by the same engine as the 2.5GT model, the Spec.B gets an excellent 6-speed manual transmission, a modified version of the one found in the Impreza WRX STI. An automatic is not offered. For 2007, the turbo engine gets a slight decrease in horsepower, from 250 to 243, due to the SAE's new J1349 power calculations.

The new SI-DRIVE (for Subaru Intelligent Drive) is standard fare on all turbocharged 2007 Legacy and Outback models. According to Subaru, it was conceived to increase driving pleasure as well as improve fuel economy.

The SI-DRIVE system is complex to explain, but easy to use. In short, the system has three levels for mapping the electronic management of the engine, controlled by the driver (or a curious passenger) via a console-mounted knob. The INTELLIGENT mode gives the engine a more relaxed character, reducing usable torque and giving it a more fluid behaviour, while reducing fuel consumption. According to tests orchestrated by Subaru, you can save up to 10% in fuel. The Intelligent mode is to be used while driving during rush-hour traffic or on congested roadways.

The SPORT mode quickens the response time of the engine while providing more linear accelerations. This mode is best used on the highway, in the suburbs or on mountain roads, Subaru says.

Thirdly, the SPORT SHARP mode hacks the throttle valve management to allow instantaneous response and even quicker acceleration. This mode is ideal for twisty back roads.

While accelerating hard in Intelligent mode, you'll feel the extra punch when you switch to the Sport setting, as the engine temper gets meaner. The difference between Sport and Sport Sharp is minimal.

Since we didn't have enough time behind the wheel to calculate the car's fuel consumption in the SI-DRIVE's three settings, the more relaxed pace of the engine in Intelligent mode makes me believe that the fuel savings flaunted by Subaru is realistic.

The Spec.B model also receives Bilstein shocks that accomplish a remarkable job of providing excellent handling as well as a compliant ride over bad roads. I immediately noticed the difference between the 2.5GT and the 2.5GT Spec.B, which we had the opportunity to drive back-to-back. The Spec.B better absorbs road imperfections.

Other features exclusive to the Legacy 2.5GT Spec.B include modifications to the front suspension control arms, 18-inch wheels with Brigestone Potenza 215/45R18 summer tires, grippy grey leather and blue alcantara seats, eight power adjustments for the driver's seat, a touch-screen navigation system, aluminum pedals, a MOMO three-spoke steering wheel, and your choice from a wide selection of one colour: Metallic Grey.

Also, all 2007 Legacy models get a new audio system with a 6-CD changer, MP3 and WMA playback, prewiring for XM satellite radio, and mechanical improvements in the shift linkage as well as in the turbocharger. In addition, we're glad to learn that all Legacy sedans will finally be equipped with a 40/20/40-split rear seat.

The 2007 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Spec.B is a blast to drive and represents an improved version of one of the Auto123.com staff's favourite cars. Pricing for this sedan should be available in a few weeks, but it should normally cost several thousand dollars more than a $40,295 2006 2.5GT Limited.

Some interesting numbers :

Subaru buyers: 62% men, 38% women, average age 48

Impreza WRX STI buyers 96% men, 4% women, average age 38

Legacy 2.5GT buyers: 69% men, 31% women, average age 48

Legacy 2.5GT Spec.B buyers (projected): 80% men, 20% women, average age 44

Pricing for this sedan should be available in a few weeks, but it should normally cost several thousand dollars more than a $40,295 2006 2.5GT Limited.

Don't know if the estimate is true but I can't imagine them having great sales. The $40,295 price of an 5MT LGT limited is already putting it in relatively the same price ball park of the new twin turbo direct injection BMW 335i!

A $47k CDN Spec B??

I would say that SOC has some really excellent drugs if they choose that kind of price.

Although, if they find suckers to buy them, they will be raking $14k more then a USDM Spec B.

Impreza WRX STI buyers 96% men, 4% women, average age 38

There must be a ton of 90 y/o men driving STi's to pull these numbers up so much :lol:

The more likely reason is that few Canadians under 30 can afford the nearly C$50K neccessary to buy a new one.

Not sure where you get that info from, go take a look on the Toronto Subaru Club Forums, most STi owners I know are around 25.

but are the people on the board representative of the buying public? I think Jon is probably right.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not sure where you get that info from, go take a look on the Toronto Subaru Club Forums, most STi owners I know are around 25.
But how many actually bought a new STI outright, under their own names? Frequently the true owner of an STI for drivers that age is one of their parents because they tend to have far higher credit scores than a 25 year old. Of course such STI drivers arent likely to brag about that aspect of "ownership."

;722105']But how many actually bought a new STI outright' date=' under their own names? Frequently the true owner of an STI for drivers that age is one of their parents because they tend to have far higher credit scores than a 25 year old. Of course such STI drivers arent likely to brag about that aspect of "ownership."[/quote']

This is very true, and I didn't take that into consideration.

If they are quoting the registered owners only, then I don't figure into the statistics either :confused:

;722105']But how many actually bought a new STI outright' date=' under their own names? Frequently the true owner of an STI for drivers that age is one of their parents because they tend to have far higher credit scores than a 25 year old. Of course such STI drivers arent likely to brag about that aspect of "ownership."[/quote']

True that...im 27 and my dad cosigned (actually I was 26 at the time), so im sure that skews the numbers. I know there are a lots of twenty somethings on this board.

No, most of hte STi *Drivers* you know are around 25. The buyers were probably 20-30 years older (i.e. parents)

-Allen

Hmm........

@ local meets I'd say the avg age for the cars would be

WRX.............22

STI...............27

LGT..............32

Down here there are twice as many STI's as there is even WRX's:rolleyes:

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

this is why I'm getting my next car in the states. The prices SOC is setting is RIDICULOUS, especially with the high dollar right now, and the fact that I can save $10K CAD on a new Legacy by driving 1 hour across the border:icon_roll

this is why I'm getting my next car in the states. The prices SOC is setting is RIDICULOUS, especially with the high dollar right now, and the fact that I can save $10K CAD on a new Legacy by driving 1 hour across the border:icon_roll

I'm sure that many Canadian businesses are having to deal with deals made with the formerly cheap loonie. I bet it won't be too long before the C$ is worth more than the greenback.

Archived