LegacyGT.com

future insurance price predictions?

Here's the situation. Yesterday, I nearly purchased a Legacy GT Limited (almost signed the dotted line). I wanted to wait a day, so I could double check with the insurance company to find out if they had any idea what the insurance rate would be on this new model. They quoted me last year's model which is a whole lot less than the insurance on my WRX (around 900 vs. 1200 per year). The agent advised that the old rate would be used until the insurance company had a chance to update the system with info on the new model. Does anyone think that the Legacy GT will carry as high of an insurance rate as the WRX once they update their systems? Oddly enough, the Legacy quote was $60 cheaper than the Forester XT. The insurance is important, as I will be spending more per month on the loan for the legacy vs. the WRX. If insurance is as considerably less as quoted, its probably worth it to trade up. If insurance is the same or higher than my wrx, then its not worth it. Thanks in advance for any advice.

not sure in your scenario, but I switched from Progressive here in NY to Liberty Mutual (since I am a Univ. of Mass. alumni). Discounted me everything, air bags, ABS, DRL's, and alumni disc., plus defensive driving disc. I used to pay 3300 a year for the WRX, and now, am paying 2400/yr for the legacy -- with 100/300/100 limits. The limits that progressive had me at were the 25/50/25 limits...I really dislike progressive. Anyway, hope that helps..but some people here say that their's went down, other's stayed the same...and then, whose went up/down. Try shopping some other companies...maybe that will help the price a little. Later, i.

thanks, I might try that today. I get 100/300/300 with 250 deductibles, plus I have a beater as a primary car, so this one is pleasure use. So far I've tried state farm and progressive for online quotes, and they have all been higher

Insurance was a bonus for me. I traded in a 97 Dodge Intrepid for the LGT 5MT Wagon and am saving $200 a year. Intrepid drivers must be a dangerous lot. Geico coverage, plus they have a fabulous 8 year, 100K warranty extention with a 250 deductable (bumper to bumper) for $34 a YEAR.

My insurance dropped from around 1900 for 6 months to around 1300 for 6 months. I was very happy about that. My old WRX went though its fair share of accidents, it was sad to put it through all that. I really hope the legacy rates stay down though.

I'm sure as more claims are made for the new cars the base rates will be adjusted. I would guess the rates would be similar if not higher than the quotes for the Forester XT but lower than the quotes for the WRX. Just my guess....

If people drive like morons and wrap Legacies around stuff, like they did with the WRX, then the premiums will go up. They will certainly be higher than the previous Legacy. You can't add a turbo and 90hp and not have something happen. But they should be cheaper than the WRX because of the very different loss profile. In a way, the GT's popularity might be something of a bummer for its insurance future, if as many of them get stuffed as WRXes. Kevin

nov26_6 : Give Geico a call and tell them you're interested in the extended warranty. I've had it on my 99 volvo for 5 years and had to use it once. no problems. It covers everthing except wear items like pads, tires, wipers.

The Legacy GT insurance WILL be lower than the WRX. For a couple simple reasons. The WRX is pretty much know as the "rally" sports car from Subaru and that "kids" of mostly under 25 years old and almost exclusively male have bought them. They know they are driven hard and are desired by thieves. The Legacy GT...though faster, is a more grown up car. It will sell a lot less, and therefore have fewer claims. Not every LGT driver will drive the car as hard or as aggressive as the "average" WRX owner. My policy quote went down by over $220 a year when compared to my 2002 Maxima GLE for the brand new 2005 Legacy GT Limited sedan. Oh, and raise those $250 deductibles you have. You are wasting money there. Put them at $500 or even $1,000. You'll save a bunch. And think about it...if you had an accident where the damage was $500 or so bucks, would you REALLY pay your $250 deductible and make an insurance claim for the other $250 or so? Heck NO. Anything under $1,000 in damage, you'd be smart to just pay. Don't let the insurance company even know you had a "fender bender." The price increase on your premium for the next 3-5 years wouldn't even be worth it. Raise those deductibles to $1,000 and worry not about the insurance cost of the LGT.

[quote name='Driver72'] Raise those deductibles to $1,000 and worry not about the insurance cost of the LGT.[/quote] Might want to put a call into your lender before making that mistake, especially if you finance. Leasing is different, but if I were on a lease, I would purchase the 'GAP' insurance...to cover the cost of the depreciation. It might not be you that hits someone, rather someone that hits you, and then you are screwed (especially if that other someone does not have insurance!!!) :evil: I know that 'Chase' will not allow anything except $500.00 or lower, as far as deductibles in NY, when you buy a car that is financed through them. Just a thought. Later, i.

Yeah my insurance company said the same thing.. I'll be paying for insurance based on the previous year and once they have the updated information entered, my rates could change. If they hike them up too much on me, I'll be pissed. I am young with a clean record, but $800 every 6 months with the highest coverage possible and a $1000 deductible is fairly high already.

The Legacy outsells the Impreza line by a significant margin. Brand-specific within the overall line, I would bet that many more LGTs will be sold than WRXes. Further, the interest in the LGT by WRX-age people further enhances the chance that the LGT could develop an undesirable loss profile. As with the WRX, people are talking about modding for more power, etc, etc, things that people don't do to drive a car conservatively. Stock, the LGT is a lot of car, that can get away from the inattentive driver rather quickly. I, like the rest of us, hope this doesn't come to pass. I like paying $600 a year for insurance. Kevin

[quote name='inthedeck'][quote name='Driver72'] Raise those deductibles to $1,000 and worry not about the insurance cost of the LGT.[/quote] Might want to put a call into your lender before making that mistake, especially if you finance. Leasing is different, but if I were on a lease, I would purchase the 'GAP' insurance...to cover the cost of the depreciation. It might not be you that hits someone, rather someone that hits you, and then you are screwed (especially if that other someone does not have insurance!!!) :evil: I know that 'Chase' will not allow anything except $500.00 or lower, as far as deductibles in NY, when you buy a car that is financed through them. Just a thought. Later, i.[/quote] I've leased 4 to 5 cars, and all okayed a $1,000 deductible except VW. But when I contacted VW I bitched and moaned and told them, "what the hell do you care what MY deductible is?" As long as the car is covered for the amounts you require (100/300/50) what I choose to pay in a deductible should NOT be your concern. They first denied me. Then I wrote them a letter telling them if they were going to REQUIRE me to have $500 deductible, they can pay the difference in my policy. I told them, if they did not I would file a claim with the BBB and any governmental agency that has jurisdiction over this. Deductibles should NOT be there's to decide. They didn't want to deal with all that, and approved me having a $1,000 deductible. All my other leased and one bank loaned cars have been fine with the $1,000 deductible. Prior to leasing, I used to carry $500 deductibles...then I wised up. GAP insurance is just another way to make insurance companies rich. And trust me, I know about uninsured motorists. I live in Latin America...I mean Los Angeles...home of the illegal immigrants. (Uninsured and underinsured) just another thing we pretty much MUST have (pay for) because in the many of the predominant Hispanic (Mexican really) neighborhoods of Southern California, there's as much as 98% of the registered cars in those zip codes WITHOUT insurance. Yet like the immigration laws, the government doesn't seem to enforce those either. Soon, in the U.S., if you are illegal, you're going to be better off than if you are a LEGAL citizen. The illegals seem to get all the benefits we citizens do, yet seem to be exempt from many of the laws we citizens have to abide by. That should tick American citizens off...yet nothing changes. Back on topic.... because of the nature between the LGT and WRX, I just don't see it's insurance ever being higher. I could be wrong, but hopefully it will always just be classified as what it is...a near luxury family sedan...it just happens to be fast.

Archived