LegacyGT.com

Ad Fight!: BMW, Audi and Subaru in ad grudge match

LawGT

Hilarious...and don't forget to read through the comments after the link.

Ad Fight!: BMW, Audi and Subaru in ad grudge match - Autoblog

Ad Fight!: BMW, Audi and Subaru in ad grudge match

Posted Aug 8th 2006 12:03PM by Damon Lavrinc

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/08/audibmwsub0.jpg

The International Advertiser Bitch Slapping Awards (IABSA) have been announced this week and the finalists include three of the world's most prestigious automakers.

The trouble began when BMW released an ad for its new 3-series and congratulated Audi for winning the South African car of the Year award. Certainly an esteemed honor in it's own right, but BMW signed the congratulations with the line, "From the winner of the world car of the year award 2006." Ohhhh, snap!

Audi's PR guerrillas, not willing to sit idly by while being assaulted in the print realm, fought back with the ferocity expected from the German carmaker. They parried BMW's thrust with an ad proclaiming that the "world car of the year award" was nice, but we've kicked butt at LeMans for six consecutive years, so put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Then, from the east, comes Subaru, who wanted a piece of this chest-pounding, automotive aggression and jumped in with an ad proclaiming, "Well done to Audi and BMW for winning the beauty contest. From the winner of the 2006 International Engine of the Year Winner." Burn!

The full ads can be viewed in all their egregious glory after the jump.

[Tipage goes to Rsplatpc]

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/08/audibmwsub1.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/08/audibmwsub2.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/08/audibmwsub3.jpg

It's not that well received in Europe...say Romanian auto forums where I also participate. Anyways those retards are too BMW-centric to even consider something else or even take a joke. Sometimes I am ashamed I speak their language

:yawn:

Been discussed and already verified to be fake (though admittedly funny).

My apologies oh great one for making you yawn. What was I thinking, I missed that discussion. I must have been working. Again, my appologies.

The problem with Subaru's ad is that it should include the small print which reads, "for 2-2.5 liter category".

BMW holds the title for overall international engine of the year for 2006 with its 5 liter V10, and also wins in the best performance engine (again the V10), 2.5-3 liter, 3-4 liter and above 4 liter categories.

Not too smart of Subaru's advertising firm to leave the door wide open for BMW to come back with an ad showing the above details. FYI, Subaru placed 7th for the overall engine of the year.

My apologies oh great one for making you yawn. What was I thinking, I missed that discussion. I must have been working. Again, my appologies.

I've been working too. It's been posted a couple times.

How about the magical "search"?

Too bad the latest Subaru Legacy print advert is not fake. Could you design an advert with less passion, less visual interest and less reason for being?

Tag line goes something like, "performance and good gas mileage too". Advert pucture is so bland. It is one thing to cut your advert placement budget, but the artwork is done upfront. Why or how does such a "nothing" advert get approved? The only good thing about the advert is that it is so boring, few will notice it and damage will be limited.:(

You can see SOA self fulfilling prophecy playing out. Spec Bs and Turbo Legacys generate small sales numbers compared to the grocery hauler Legacys. Focus limited resources on bland adverts that promote the granny/grocery hauler image. Drob the sport wagon, drop stick shifts, drop the turbo Legacys. SOA is taking the Legacy back to granny land or maybe they never really gave Legacy the opportunity to escape its granny legacy.

Talk about dull, but a very reliable pair of shoes, "Toyota Camry". Even the new Camry adverrts all boast 268HP/V6, 6AT. No, Subaru doesn't need to boost the HP for its Legacy/GT line or add 6/AT/MT. Giving the Leg/gt more HP or better trans will not help if SOA has decided that Legacy will not or cannot be a sports sales horse.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived