LegacyGT.com

Short Throw Shifter

sframs

this install would be foolish to pay for.

You don't need any special abilities. Simple hand tools and 30 min for even the most novice of people. VERY easy.

My guess is you would get charged almost the cost of the shifter to have it installed. I'm willing to bet someone on the board in your area would do it for a 12 rack or something too...Seriously, don't pay for this install.

if you can find someone in your area to help you, it will save you some $$$. I had someone local help me at an install meet and we probably got it done in 1/2 hour. (didn't have the right tool, otherwise it would have taken less time)
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I'm local and would be glad to help... I did a Kartboy on mine a while back, otherwise I don't know exactly where you're located but lic motorsports does a lot of subaru stuff, usually I think they do stuff like clutch, tranny, motor swaps, etc., but I'm sure they could handle your STS

thanks all for advice and offers. still need to get the sts.

i am in the pennisula.

I like the cobb, but it puts the lever to far back since it's a straight line, whereas the Perrin, Cartboy, SPT, Stock all have a forward bend. Then again it's also the most adjustable...

If you'd like some help, let me know as well, I'm in SF but head to the south bay a lot. I just installed the Cobb one last weekend. Really easy, only issue was the snap ring seems like it's got too small of a gap and a good pair of snap ring pliers makes a big difference.

If you get an adjustable one (Cobb, Perrin) I'd definitely recommend doing it or watching it done since you'll want to spend some time getting the adjustments right for you. If it's a non adjustable (Kartboy or SPT) then it's not as big of as deal.

spin jockey did you install bushings?

what are your initial thoughts on the short shifter?

Didn't have time for the bushings, I was working on the steering wheel controls, clock relocation, and an inital hack at a cubby spot for a GPS (while keeping the door). Bushings I'll probably do in the next few weeks since I need to change a sway bolt back to stock (snapped the head off with a torque wrench!)

Overall a nice mod.

The good: Didn't increase the shift resistance as much as I thought. Uber adjustability. Good feel from 2->3, neutral -> 1. The straight shaft moves the knob further back than normal into a more natural position. Easier install than I thought (some had said about cutting, but I didn't have any problems with metal interference).

The bad: 5th still seems a little bit far. Knob looks a little funny back that far, neutral looks like 4th gear.

The ugly: Clearance issues into 2nd causes a bit a vagueness, increased effort and squeaking with shifts into 2nd. The instructions mention it but for the rubber boot, not the leather one. However I've got issues wit the leather boot which a bend in the shaft would fix. I may need to move the ball to linkage distance up, I think it'll fix this.

Overall a nice mod.

The good: Didn't increase the shift resistance as much as I thought. Uber adjustability. Good feel from 2->3, neutral -> 1. The straight shaft moves the knob further back than normal into a more natural position. Easier install than I thought (some had said about cutting, but I didn't have any problems with metal interference).

The bad: 5th still seems a little bit far. Knob looks a little funny back that far, neutral looks like 4th gear.

The ugly: Clearance issues into 2nd causes a bit a vagueness, increased effort and squeaking with shifts into 2nd. The instructions mention it but for the rubber boot, not the leather one. However I've got issues wit the leather boot which a bend in the shaft would fix. I may need to move the ball to linkage distance up, I think it'll fix this.

I have the Cobb STS and bushings. Great mod. I agree totally with the "good". You only have to do cutting if you make the throw really really short. I adjusted mine to clear the metal plate in first gear by ~1/4". You would have to cut if you went any further. The bushings make shifting much more crisp. I love 'em!

As for "ugly", I have been getting rattling when I shift since the STS, bushings, and Momo knob install; but I believe that it is coming form the Momo knob that I got. I had Garcia Subaru in Albuquerque check it out, and they came to the same conclusion (for free I might add :) ). I'll have to pop the old knob back on to see if that would eliminate the rattling...

Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

I have the Cobb STS and bushings. Great mod. I agree totally with the "good". You only have to do cutting if you make the throw really really short. I adjusted mine to clear the metal plate in first gear by ~1/4". You would have to cut if you went any further. The bushings make shifting much more crisp. I love 'em!

As for "ugly", I have been getting rattling when I shift since the STS, bushings, and Momo knob install; but I believe that it is coming form the Momo knob that I got. I had Garcia Subaru in Albuquerque check it out, and they came to the same conclusion (for free I might add :) ). I'll have to pop the old knob back on to see if that would eliminate the rattling...

No rattling here with the stock knob, though I may switch to the Momo now that I'm holding it by the top rather than the neck.

Do you have any problems with the leather shroud rubbing?

Do you have any problems with the leather shroud rubbing?

I haven't noticed the leather shroud rubbing against anything. But I'm not entirely sure what it could rub against.

Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

good to know. i am going to get this. spinjockey if you could help me with the install. let me know what type of beer/wine you like or any other compensation you would take.

Sure, I still don't know where I'm going to be the next few days. Possibly in Sac area. Next Saturday or through the week may work.

The I think the rubbing may be the leather against the rubber shift boot, when I have it apart next I'm going to look into it. Maybe some leather moisturizer or petrolium jelly on the boot...

Hi,

Anyone wanna post some pix of the installed Cobb?

I'd like to see what the new position looks like.

Anyone near Mountain View wanna let me have a test drive?

I'm planning to get OBXT 5sp this month and put a shifter in .

Trying to decide which one.

Mike

not sure if this question hs been answered before. if i am using the cigarette lighter and the ashtray is open. (use it to plug in my radar detector). does the open ashtray affect getting into 1st or 5th gear?

not sure if this question hs been answered before. if i am using the cigarette lighter and the ashtray is open. (use it to plug in my radar detector). does the open ashtray affect getting into 1st or 5th gear?

You can plug stuff in without problems with the shifter. I keep my pda plugged in there, or my camera charger, or my vibr...nevermind.:lol:

Archived