LegacyGT.com

Upgrading the Stereo!?

Kuth678

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
I emailed Subaru about the lack of a replacement console like the JDM part...got the standard email reply about how they will take the feedback into consideration and fwd it to the appropriate dept. Figured that it couldn't hurt for them to receive some complaints about not being able to upgrade the head unit...anyone else sent a complaint yet? If not, then please do - maybe it will get their attention.

[quote name='rubberman']I emailed Subaru about the lack of a replacement console like the JDM part...got the standard email reply about how they will take the feedback into consideration and fwd it to the appropriate dept. Figured that it couldn't hurt for them to receive some complaints about not being able to upgrade the head unit...anyone else sent a complaint yet? If not, then please do - maybe it will get their attention.[/quote] I did a few weeks ago. I'll probably send another one.. and another one after that. I can do so much more with a better head unit. Agh.

[quote name='Th3Franz'][quote name='Kuth678']Anyone have a part number for that replacement for the console to accept DIN slot head units???[/quote] I have not heard of any part number for a US version of the part.. My dealership has heard nothing about it.[/quote] So far the part is only available in the JDM market (the climate control display is in Celcius instead of Fahrenheit and the warning flasher button is on the opposite side). No word on whether a comparable part will be available in the U.S. :(

• 2 weeks later...
It will take some time for aftermarket parts to be available since many of the Legacy/Outback parts are new. I personally don't mind the look and feel of the factory head unit, just the sound. Most stock HUs have decent signal quality, they just need more clean power and better speakers. The MP3 functionality is a different story. I hate the idea of cutting the original bezel and the aftermarket bezels never look or fit quite right. First, I plan to get two wiring harness plugs (one male and one female) to avoid cutting into the factory wiring. Then I will loop the speaker wires off the new harnesses through a high-powered Alpine amplifier. The amp itself will be wired directly to the battery. Next I'll go after the speakers. Component 6.5" up front (Infinity Kappas?) and a matching set of whatever fits in back. We should be able to get some type of auxiliary input wire for our HU's to run MP3 players through, but again I think we'll need to wait a while. Check this site to see all of the other factory units that are supported: [url]http://www.installer.com/ipod/[/url]. Note the lack of any Subarus listed.

[quote name='Goon3r']Further update... The Legacy actually uses a discontinued Kenwood BUS system, hence why nothing modern will link up with it. :( Then, after returning the new MP3 CD changer, I purchased the FM Radio version 'KDC-CMP59FM' that fits '99%' of new cars.... This also doesn't fit the Legacy because for some strange reason the headunit isn't fitted with the usual iso radio aerial male/female connector ! [img]http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/images/products/e118.jpg[/img] Unfortunately you will have to chop/solder the connector, really not very satisfactory, very poor upgrade path indeed, 1 out of 10 Subaru ! :( :!:[/quote] Hmm, are you sure it's not the connector that's just different? It's hard to see kenwood producing these and intentionally breaking the protocol. How else could they sell us a cheap adapter for $50-100, like some other cars.

It may just be the BUS connector that's different, afterall the signal/voltage/data would be much the same from brand to brand. After numerous calls to Subaru UK and Kenwood UK they both confirmed that only older Kenwood changers and Subaru's own changer will mate with the factory head unit. There is no converter cable/interface available as far as anybody over here knows. It's very frustrating, but that's how it is for now. :roll:

[quote name='Goon3r']It may just be the BUS connector that's different, afterall the signal/voltage/data would be much the same from brand to brand. After numerous calls to Subaru UK and Kenwood UK they both confirmed that only older Kenwood changers and Subaru's own changer will mate with the factory head unit. There is no converter cable/interface available as far as anybody over here knows. It's very frustrating, but that's how it is for now. :roll:[/quote] Yeah, well they assume you're not about to make your own connector. Did they mention how to identify "older" changers?

Archived