LegacyGT.com

HELP!!! With My Polish Lip!!!

What's Your Opinion?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Opinion?

• You're f*cked...
    • Live with it...
    • Get it refinished... (less desirable option, becuz $$$)
    • There is something you can do to fix it...(cheap and effective if it exist)

Please help me with this one, guys!!!

I went to a dealership to see my friends, when they got off work we had time to wash our cars and we did.

I used the something they called "Degreaser" as they said that sprays on the wheel and the brake dust will wash away easier, so i did. But after i wash it away with water and saw the polish lip on my wheels look like sh*t :( I think the degreaser was too harsh and corrosive and made my rims looks like this...

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/000_0262.jpg

Even the center cap

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/000_0264.jpg

My friend had no idea what to do and told me to use wax on them, I don't think the wax did any better, made the lip shiny but the marking is still there...

Please can anyone help me? Is there anything in the market can clear this off? My friend just told me to get it professionally polished...

All i wanted was a quick wash on a Friday afternoon... and now i get is this :nono: Please tell me what to do, i tried wiping them off, and even buff it with microfiber cloth, but nothing works...

Thank you...

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

I feel for you.

Looks like you etched the clear coat.

:icon_cry:

It's only going to get worse from here. The brake dust will now be able to really stick to your wheels. It will just get more and more difficult to clean your wheels.

I've never done it, but there are plenty of places where you can get your wheels refinished. Let us know how much it costs.

oh man... time to save up for new rims...

i really like this set too..

:icon_surp

why don't you see about getting them Powdercoated/refinished??

by the way, that emoticon that you used looks like he's got a light-bulb in his mouth :lol:

:munch:

You should probably try some metal polish first. NXT makes a good one. Eagle One makes another really good one. Give that a shot first before you do anything else. Your next step after that if it doesn't work, is to find a wheel repair guy to take a look at it.

Note to everybody.. never use degreaser on your wheels. Ever. Not even Simple Green. No degreasers at all.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

You should probably try some metal polish first. NXT makes a good one. Eagle One makes another really good one. Give that a shot first before you do anything else. Your next step after that if it doesn't work, is to find a wheel repair guy to take a look at it.

Note to everybody.. never use degreaser on your wheels. Ever. Not even Simple Green. No degreasers at all.

oh, I didn't know that simple green could do that too :eek: Thanks for the heads up :)

:munch:

Unless it says it is safe for polished or clear coated wheels, I would stay away from it. Degreaser has a nasty habit of hosing aluminum and other metals that they make wheels out of. Using Simple Green on your wheels is dangerous.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Thanks!! I hope it will work, but i lost all hope now, since the damage seem pretty extensive... but Thanks OCD i was hoping you would chime in here :)

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

I agree, try using some paint cleaner first. If that doesn't work, do you know how to polish metal? Most wheel shops will polish your rims for around $50 a rim.

I made this mistake before on my previous rims and had a professional polish them back to new. Good luck.

My wife's balls are delicious.

I got into a similar mess. Not by using a harsh cleaner, but because the rims' previous owner neglected them and the filth penetrated the clearcoat. I've spent many hours (and many dollars on buying various polishing/buffing products) trying to get them right and they're still not perfect. In hindsight I would have spent $50/rim gladly if that would have restored them perfectly. Unfortunately I've invested so much time in them at this point that I'm reluctant to pull the plug.

If you try DIY, then the first step is the most brutal. You have to completely remove the clearcoat using ~550 grit sandpaper (wetsand in criss-cross pattern). If you don't do this then when you polish you'll only get at the portions of the wheel where the clearcoat was removed and it will look different then the other spots. If you have portions of the lip which have curb damage then you can remove that pretty easily at this step by working those areas with a lower grit.

The rest of the process is detailed here:

http://www.gmtips.com/3rd-degree/dox/tips/buff/info/info.htm

After much research on the net this was the best writeup I could.

hmm i think $50/rim i can live with that... so after that it'll look like new?

It depends on the rim. Take them to a shop and have them looked at first, they should know if they can buff them out or not.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Ya, stay away from those wheel cleaners. They are very good at getting rid of brake dust but they will also strip the clear coat from your wheels.

quote]

+10

Very sorry to see that Hanger! Bad stuff happens to good guys sometimes...

I had an issue with a local wash bay spraying on high-potency cleaner on set of mags on my old Acura.

The cleaner actually bleached the anodized black finish on my very expensive Japanese lug nuts and turned them a spotted rust colour. I was pissed...

Minor, but small details like that are what I'm all about.

From that day on, I either hand wash wheels myself with soap and water, or stand right beside the guy in any bay that is about to wash my car, making sure no strong spray is used!

Archived