LegacyGT.com

max acceleration from my lgt?

any tips? im thinking of going drag racing soon, i want to get some base line numbers beforethe modding begins. im hoping for high 13's, with some practice. f

from playing with the car on the street, i think the best launch rpm is 2800-3000 with slipping the clutch amd then going full throtle? any suggestions?

brian

AWD launches are a thing of beauty, but if agressively launch it on the stock clutch, the clutch will need replacement soon.

I used to launch my last 'big power' AWD between 6000-7000& pretty much just step off the clutch.

Yes....take brother johnAWD's word for it, he should know :) - don't get too, too aggressive with the stock clutch. That 6K to 7K drop he spoke of was on a different vehicle, and a much modded and highly regarded one at that, too!

I typically moderately "launch" my LGT about two to three times per week, rapidly feeding the clutch at anywhere between 3K to 4K RPM for decently aggressive street launches. It's fast enough to have fun, but while it certainly does wear, I have yet - knock on wood - to notice any trouble. Granted, I *never* do such launches "twice in a row."

If I launch at 5K+ RPM using the same method, I do get a small whiff of "clutch stink." Note, too, that my LGT pretty much *never* suffer from this otherwise often-noted problem which plagues the '05s.

Like brother johnAWD mentioned, though, there's at least two other LGTers here who have favored 5K to 6K RPM clutch drops, and have gotten excellent time-slips to prove that that particular technique does indeed work. However, this is definitely a shorter route to needing a replacement. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

If I launch at 5K+ RPM using the same method, I do get a small whiff of "clutch stink." Note, too, that my LGT pretty much *never* suffer from this otherwise often-noted problem which plagues the '05s.

:)

what is tis you speak of? d you guys think a 13.7 is possible with a stock car full weight?

People have hit high 13's stock before -- not sure if 13.7 has been hit or not, but i know people have come close... You might need to at least swap out tires or something.

i do consider myself a good racer, i have 300+ launches at the strip, but none were in a awd car. im not concerned with r/t. just e/t. i saw a camparo with the spec b ran 13.7 stock. thats my goal, to match the spec b wit ha lgt ltd.

what is tis you speak of?

I assume you are addressing the "clutch stink" issue I posted?

Some '05 owners have complained that their clutches, literally, stink - as emitting a foul odor.

This, I believe, is *NOT* driver-input or even "improper-operation" related, solely, as there are simply too many experienced stick-drivers who have complained about this issue to make it such a case. Similarly, the circumstances under which such smells occur, as well as the extent to which the smells proliferate throughout the cabin, is more indicative of something being actually mechanically awry with the vehicle.

Imagine that small whiff of burning clutch that you get from a 5K to 6K "slipped" launch - but magnified many times, and happening simply as you try to back your vehicle into a slightly sloped garage space. That's what many complain of as "clutch stink."

The true proportion of '05 5MT owners who experience this issue is unknown - our own Forum introduces, itself, bias, and is additionally an otherwise unpredictable as well as unreliable method of gathering such stats.

Also, some '06 owners have reported this issue, but it's much more rare than reports from '05s.

Finally, definitely, NOT ALL '05 LGTs suffer from "clutch stink." My early-build '05, for instance, is one of the lucky ones which seem to have no such troubles

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Finally, definitely, NOT ALL '05 LGTs suffer from "clutch stink." My early-build '05, for instance, is one of the lucky ones which seem to have no such troubles

i have a build date of 2004 as well. i guess its a early build date. i did get a little clutch stink when i was launching it.

^ I think that some of the '04-build '05s, like ours, lucked out and got a "good batch" of components.

I only smell clutch - and it's to a point where I consider it to be "normal" due to how hard I'm launching her - when I do a 5K+ RPM slip'ed launch..... :)

The problem is if you launch too well, you put too much weight on the back and the front wheels spin. What should be a nice 1.7x 60ft launch turns into a front spinfest and a 1.8x at best. I could do a 1.7x in any DSM for 15+ years and I was surprised when I couldn't do as well in the Legacy.

The SpecB launches better thanks to its firmer suspension. In my Stealth, the stock "firm" suspension setting was good for a .05 sec improvement in 60ft compared to the default "tour" mode.

On the WRX forums, the general consensus is that if you smell your clutch burning, you are launching wrong - delaying letting out the clutch too long. You should be feathering out the clutch and increasing the throttle fairly quickly. When you do it right, you know it. Let out the clutch too fast, and you bog down, too slow, and you burn the clutch.

And the general consensus with the WRXs is that 5k+ clutch dumps will ruin the transmission, as unlike a 2WD car, the tires will not break loose if there is too much power, something else in the drivetrain is likely to, instead - clutch, transmission, whatever it may be. Dropping the clutch is strongly discouraged. Now granted, maybe the LGT has a much beefier tranny than the WRX, but I doubt it is by much.

AWD launches are hard to perfect, and take time (and possibly a clutch or two :p). Anyways, good luck, and be nice to your tranny, they are expensive. :p

2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ PP (6MT)

2006 LGT Ltd 5MT OBP Cobb Short Throw Shifter | GS Catless Up Pipe Gone

With a better clutch you will be able to break the tires loose, I got down to a 13.5 from a 13.7 after fitting the RPS clutch.

I get wheelspin most of the way through 1st gear, although on a better track I probably wouldn't.

Jeez what setup are you running? New tires anyone? :lol:

The problem is if you launch too well, you put too much weight on the back and the front wheels spin. What should be a nice 1.7x 60ft launch turns into a front spinfest and a 1.8x at best. I could do a 1.7x in any DSM for 15+ years and I was surprised when I couldn't do as well in the Legacy.

This explains a lot. I've been wondering why people are having hard times launching the Legacy. I come from DSM's too, and they are easy to get 1.7's out of. My Talon ran mid 13's back when it was at a similar power-weight ratio as the LGT (mid 90's mph trap speeds. ) With the DSM, I launched around 5500-6000rpm. It was easy on the clutch, since I didn't have to slip it. No drivetrain problems either, even with the "weak" '90 rearend. I always made sure I took the slack out of the drivetrain before launch, and felt that helped prevent breakage. The DSM would spin the fronts too, but only about a half to one turn before the rears slipped a little. Like a rubber band effect. My best runs were when I could slightly break all four loose. Is the center VC looser then the one in the DSM?

Does anyone have launch control (stutterbox) on their Legacy yet? That was a lot of fun on my DSM. Never got the chance to launch my car at the track lwith it though. I drove another car and it worked great.

FWIW, just consider, when you are putting enough power through the transmission to break FOUR tires loose, how much strain you are putting on it. Again, maybe LGT's are different, but it is very much recommended against dropping the clutch/breaking the tires loose on WRXs. *shrug*

2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium w/ PP (6MT)

2006 LGT Ltd 5MT OBP Cobb Short Throw Shifter | GS Catless Up Pipe Gone

Archived