LegacyGT.com

Components vs. Coaxial Front Speakers

obxt

I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and upgrade my stereo. I'm planning on using all JL stuff:

500/5 amp

cleansweep

10W3v2 in custom stealth box.

I have a pair of XR650-CXI coaxials for the rear, and I was planning on XR650-CSI components in the front. My question is, am I really going to be able to tell any difference between components and coaxials in the front? From everything I've read, with components, it's best to mount the tweeters near the woofers low on the door. If I do this, what's the advantage of components? The CXI and CSI seem to have the same drivers and crossovers. I'm not concerned with spending a bit more for the components, but I'd prefer the stock look I'd get with the coaxials, unless it will make a significant difference in the sound quality.

I've heard both coax's and comp's, the imaging may be a little better with seperate components, but coax's can save $$$ on parts and labor and they are more stealthy. If the speakers (and crossovers) are good, I'd say it comes down moreso to personal preference.
:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

Put the coaxes in the front... you will get much better imaging than with comps w/tweeters in the stock tweeter location. Trust me. You will also want to run one of the front speakers in reverse polarity (flip the pos. and neg. input connections on the crossovers). Again, trust me. :)

Buy another pair of coaxes for the rear (don't have to be expensive because you will probably want to turn them down quite a bit). Or, try the stock rears to start, which are probably more than adequate for rear-fill duty.

Manville Smith

JL Audio, Inc.

Manville -

I tried your trick about reversing polarity to a front channel - several different configurations, actually - and found the sound pretty wierd...and annoying after a little time. I'm not using JL speakers which may have an impact. Net result, I have better sound & image using correct polarity.

I'm not saying it's a bad choice, but others should experiment to find what they like best.

arrgggg! i had mad shit written and i hit back heres the cliff notes......

Sometimes, when speakers are not mounted close to each other (i.e., mids on the doors and tweeters up in the dash), reversing the polarity on tweeters or mids makes the system sound better because it makes up for phase differences due to distance. Try different combinations and see what sounds better.

Archived