LegacyGT.com

AP racing calipers, anybody?

LittleBlueGT

I have been looking, and looking for a really good set of brakes for the front of my LGT.

So far I think iON's BBK is the best. It gives me more bias towards the rear and closer to the "ideal static bias" that I want.

iON uses AP calipers (according to iON they are slightly different internal valving and other stuff that make them different then off the shelf AP stuff) with a 42mm and a 38mm pistons, staggered size for more even pad wear.

These will fit under the stock LGT wheels with a 3mm spacer.

Does anybody even have AP calipers? I know that stillen sells them for the LGT as well.

I had a set of AP brakes on my WRX and they were fantastic. This was a whole AP setup though and I don't have any experience with the ION AP setups.

AP discs too?

What pads?

Did they have the differentially sized pistons too?

Need more info, please.

Yup AP discs. I believe the pads were Mintex 1148s. I would have rather had Ferrodo DS2500s (I had those on the stock WRX brakes) but the Mintex pads came with the brakes. The pistons were differentially sized. I believe ~38mm and ~44mm. If I hadn't had the small setup (304x28mm rotors) for 16" wheels I probably would have moved them over to the Legacy.

Dangit, I'm no help, I know, bro.... sorry. :redface:

Just wanted to say that I'm 100% certain that there's SOMEONE here with the APs on their LGT - I'm absolutely positive that I've seen pictures of it here on this very Forum.

I've tried a search or two to dig it up, but have been unsuccessful. :(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 7 months later...
Yup AP discs. I believe the pads were Mintex 1148s. I would have rather had Ferrodo DS2500s (I had those on the stock WRX brakes) but the Mintex pads came with the brakes. The pistons were differentially sized. I believe ~38mm and ~44mm. If I hadn't had the small setup (304x28mm rotors) for 16" wheels I probably would have moved them over to the Legacy.

I know I am digging up old stuff, but I am getting realy close to buying a BBK.

What did you think of the Mintex pads that came with your AP set-up for your rex?

There are many different AP and Alcon calipers out there.

My favorite, if I ever had the $ to splurge, would be PFC calipers.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=476,367,49,363_3934&action=product

Free Sonax Cleaner Deal

http://www.brakeswap.com

Carbotech, Hawk, PFC, DBA Rotors, Motul, Wilwood, Castrol...

Great service. No bumping required :icon_tong!

Do the AP Racing have seals in the pistons for street use? The Rallitek car had 6 pistons AP calipers. Can the LGT master handle it? In the SubieSport magazine, the S4 had better stopping distances. This was probably more a function of tire unless they did lots of stops and averaged, but might it have been a mismatch of caliper/master cylinder or (Praedet) wonked brake bias?

I believe at one point Prodrive uses Alcon based parts for their brakes.. (I'll have to check up the history of it to get my facts straight).

The baddest brakes would be a version of water-cooled WRC brakes with a 15" carbon rotor.. now if only i can drive the brakes to the point whre they stay at 300+F at all times.

Keefe

You saying I should just stick with the 2500s that come with them for street use?

you have to evaluate your needs and driving.. the 2500s arent much to be proud of either, but they are still brake pads that are better than stock by a tiny bit..

Keefe

Do the AP Racing have seals in the pistons for street use? The Rallitek car had 6 pistons AP calipers. Can the LGT master handle it? In the SubieSport magazine, the S4 had better stopping distances. This was probably more a function of tire unless they did lots of stops and averaged, but might it have been a mismatch of caliper/master cylinder or (Praedet) wonked brake bias?

They have seals. I actually talked to a guy from Ontario that just rebuilt his AP calipers after 9 years!

I am fairly certain Sean's car has the 4-pot brakes from AP (they sell both the 4 & 6 pot versions). I am bringing down some 3 mm spacers when I go down there to ensure that our OEM wheels will clear them.

you have to evaluate your needs and driving.. the 2500s arent much to be proud of either, but they are still brake pads that are better than stock by a tiny bit..

I have talked to a few people that have used them (not as many as you I am sure) and from what I understand they can handle temps above 900F and will still work when it is -30.

What pads would you recommend for a DD vehicle that needs the cold weather performance too, that are better then the 2500s?

They have seals. I actually talked to a guy from Ontario that just rebuilt his AP calipers after 9 years!

I am fairly certain Sean's car has the 4-pot brakes from AP (they sell both the 4 & 6 pot versions). I am bringing down some 3 mm spacers when I go down there to ensure that our OEM wheels will clear them.

I can't believe I still had that magazine here at work:

It does say 6-pot AP in the magazine, but it also said 17 inch wheels. I am not sure if the 6-pot ones even work with 17s. Also that article made a few mistakes, ie: 'this LGT puts down 290 horses to the wheels' (VF40)

If it did have 6-pot calipers (I know he has OEM rear set-up, maybe even OEM pads!) then the brake bias is why the Audi out-braked him.

That's the magazine that led me to this site, I believe. I wrote a long winded letter to the editor published several issues later telling them to be a little less trusting of tuner claims and to give a more objective review. They thought they were objective. But the braking comparisons between the Audi and Rallitek LGT were informative. Keefe, chime in, but I think the benefit of BBK systems is less fade in hard use. Unless you really tune the system beyond just throwing on big calipers, your braking distances for a few stops in a row aren't going to be shortened much (if at all) and may go up. It's when you really heat the brakes up that the BBKs help out. Of course, they may be worth it anyway just for BLING.

Archived