LegacyGT.com

Subaru engine problems about to come into the spotlight?

[quote name='BernardP']Today, I went shopping, to try to unload my 2001 Accord to a used car dealer...When discussing what I was thinking of getting as my next car, I mentionned the Legacy. This dealer told me that there are important, but still not fully-public, reliability problems with all Subaru engines. The engines have almost always to be rebuilt before 50,000 milles...According to him, these problems are just about to explode in the open. He also told me that the WRX STI is going to be taken off the market by Subaru because of its poor engine/transmission reliability. It is the first time I hear about this. Does anybody have any indication about where this might be coming from?[/quote] "With all Subaru engines," was the funniest part of this guy's story. He probably thought he could get away with saying something like that because a large segment of the buying public has little experience with Subaru. Thanks for the post though; the best laugh I've had all day.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='RobY']Dont take our word for it. Check consumer reports. And JD powers. Your salesman is feeding you a line of crap.[/quote] Absolutely a reel full of line with a ton of hooey on the end! Thanks for providing some humor to what has become a long day. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Favorable comments on Subaru reliability do not surprise me, as I have been reading them on this forum for some time. As for my original post being humorous, I must admit it was not intended :oops: I only wanted to find out if anyone here knew where he could have taken his info. My father talked to him last week on another matter and told me that the guy had bad-mouthed Subaru when he told him his son (me) was looking to buy a new Legacy. As for the salesman being full of BS, I have to agree. After singing and dancing for 45 minutes about what he would pay for my Accord, negotiating with himself to lower the price 3000$ from his original ballpark estimate, he ended up telling me he would call me back in the afternoon... ...and of course, he never did !

[quote name='BernardP']I only wanted to find out if anyone here knew where he could have taken his info. My father talked to him last week on another matter and told me that the guy had bad-mouthed Subaru when he told him his son (me) was looking to buy a new Legacy. As for the salesman being full of BS, I have to agree. After singing and dancing for 45 minutes about what he would pay for my Accord, negotiating with himself to lower the price 3000$ from his original ballpark estimate, he ended up telling me he would call me back in the afternoon... ...and of course, he never did ![/quote] Well, it looks like this is his mantra where Subaru's are concerned. It was bad enough he bashed Subes with you, but peddling stuff to your Dad too prompted me to post again. So pardon my following rant lines. I typically ask someone what their sources are behind their comments. If it's an opinion, then I talk to the opinion. If they base it on some known source, then I research the source to see if they really are expressing the source's intent or just spooling their opinion of what the source intended. And I'll usually find time to go back to "correct" any mis-representation of the source(s). Guys like this dealer (yeah I know we are dealing with a used car dealer which in many people's estimation, is lower than pond spunk), really need to get their facts straight. Hanging out with Subarus since 1973, still owning five, and getting ready to buy another new one, I find this guy's comments so far in the high weeds off the reality trail that he needs corrected. I'd be apply to oblige. Wouldn't it be ironic though if someday, he ends up with a bullet proof Subaru (any vintage, model, etc.) and someone walks onto his lot and looks at the Subaru and then turns to the dealer and says: "I don't know why you've got a Subaru on your lot, don't you know that Subaru has major, undisclosed engine problems and that the WRX STI is going off the market for reliability issues." BTW - for all casual readers who read this post, this last "quote" is absolutely not true. Very one-dimensional person who probably can't see the forest for the trees and wouldn't be able to put one coherent thought ahead of the other about customer service and building a client base for the long haul. Grab what you can now and who cares about tomorrow. Even if he got into a Subaru, he still wouldn't "get it". All he wants is your money and he doesn't care how or what he does to get it. So, what goes around, comes around, nuff said. Okay - rant off. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Here's another used car dealer comment. A few years ago I was shopping for an AWD car and ended up buying a used 99 A6 quattro. I was talking to a dealer about AWD and Subaru and he tells me Subaru make FWD cars that are only shipped to the southern states and the AWD cars get shipped to the northern states. :lol: I got a kick out of that.

A new and highly toxic virus affecting all Subarus was discovered yesterday by Motor Trend. The virus spreads via FM radio transmissions if you tune to the wrong station. Subaru engineers put a back door in the stock receiver which will allow the engine EEPROMs to be re-flashed via radio. Currently, the only work around is to listen to CDs or to turn off the radio. Forward to everyone you know who drives a Subaru and accesses the internet (and listens to FM). A recall is coming. For each person you alert to the recall via forwarding this message, you will receive 100 Subaru bucks good towards your next Subaru purchase. PS - Although it should go without saying, the above is fictitious.

Maybe we should start a new thread called, Bull$ht things the car salesman said..... It would make a nice archive! You have to name the location and car dealership (at least). Here's mine... 'The silver WRX STI is made only with Gold Wheels, you can't get sivler wheels on a silver STI- they just don't make them that way.' Casey Subaru- Newport News VA

[quote name='axis008']There's this statistic out there that 98% of all Subarus ever made are still running.[/quote] I work at a institution of higher learning. -er a state university. The parking lot that I park in will probably hold about 150-200 cars. There are typically 3-6 subaru legacy/outback wagons parked in that lot alone (one lot, not the whole university) it's like a subaru history lesson, a late 80's, an early/mid 90s, late 90's, and one that is a year or two old. I saw a two tone green 05 Outback on campus the other day. Probably an LLBean. The kicker is, they all look like they have 50k miles or less. Even the old 80's legacy wagon is in remarkably good shape, no rust, no damage, decent paint for the age. Remarkable. They probably have 150k miles on them, for as old as some of them are. For a company that sells 1% of the market, there is a whole lot of them still on the road. much more than 1 percent of current vehicle registrations, probably closer to 5%-10%. It is very encouraging for those of us looking to eventually (or shortly) buy our first subarus. They are like panzer tanks!

Back in mi country (Dominican Republic) Subaru’s are know as the indestructible more fun to drive inexpensive cars (Toyotas are also know as indestructible, but lame and slow), they are know to go over 175,000 miles with out any major problems. Subies are know to be the brand to boy to your kid on his last year of high school so he can go to college and start his won independent life (rich people) with out having to worry much about his car, and also because those rich spoiled brats want BMW's and Audi’s and other expensive brands, their parents tri to get the best and toughest brand out there so no matter how bad they treat them and beat them they won’t give up on them and they wont have to buy another car. The only other brand that beats Subaru in toughness for a low price and reasonable power is Skoda a Czechoslovakian company that I believe it’s in part owned by Audi and VW. And boy are they tough, horrible clutches and no power steering and the manual transmissions are truck like, ho!! Just awful

One of my older friends (graduated 3 years earlier than me) got a used Subaru as a graduation present well I spoke with him on msn the other day and told him I wanted to buy a Subaru, and he said that his younger brother that graduated one year later than me still drives his old subie and last time he cheeked had almost 200,000 miles all that haves been changed other that regular wear and tare it’s the clutch (several times) because it haves been really abused, the cooling system and some other minor things. And with the hurricane flooding lots of the streets and mud all over the place this past few days he’s glad he owns a Forester, and not some other flashier brand like Lexus or Toyota.

[quote name='speedrock'] The only other brand that beats Subaru in toughness for a low price and reasonable power is Skoda a Czechoslovakian company that I believe it’s in part owned by Audi and VW. And boy are they tough, horrible clutches and no power steering and the manual transmissions are truck like, ho!! Just awful[/quote] I am very surprised that somebody mentions Skoda :lol: Forget about the old Skodas before VW took this company. Now the Skoda is just a not so pricey VW. A lot of the parts of the interior are the same. The engines are basically the same. The platform and the basic tech under the metal is just the same. Only a little changed metal sheet to give it another look. And way cheaper (because they are built in Czech republik - lower wages than in Wolfsburg). The new Octavia is based on the technical platform of the new VW Golf. Another brand of VW is Seat. It is really the same thing going on like with Skoda, only the look is different - and last but not least - the price is lower, too. They are built in Spain (lower wages ...)

Ok, that was a little offtopic. This beloved salesman really needs to take a brain wash! How could somebody tell the fairy story of EVERY engine blowing? Maybe he messed up with the increasing 2.5 Turbo offerings (more engines are "blowed up") ??? That thing really made me laugh. :lol:

Archived