LegacyGT.com

Subaru engine problems about to come into the spotlight?

hehe I have seen a couple track days with wrx's and STI's and the punishment those STI's can put up with is amazing. I'm talking like high RPM clutch drops that make the whole nose of the STI shake and chop up and down till it finally starts moving....again.....and again....and again...all FREAKING DAY and to see it drive home that night I was sold. Only thing I wondered about was I'm coming from owning a WRX and remember reading how cylinder 3 is the achilles heal of the boxer motor based on that's where the most heat is generated facing the turbo. If this is true does this same weakness carry over to our LGT?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote name='Rogue']that's where the most heat is generated facing the turbo. [/quote] The whole engine bay is too hot for my tastes. I wonder how much it would cost to coat the stock headers. At least they put heat shields over most of it. Must suck for people upgrading uppipes/etc that have none.

I'll still take a Camry over an Accord anyday of the week... 231,000 miles and going strong! And about slow, I would like anybody to come and take on my TRD Supercharged Sequoia :D [quote name='frontrangeSubie'][quote name='GT Ski']Very interesting, Toyota's are considered lame and slow in the US Too :D [size=2]... Just razzing the Toyota guys a bit 8) [/size][/quote] I was an electric trader at a very large Energy Marketing Co. in Houston (guesses?) for the last several years, and all of us traders voted that the last car we would ever own would be a Camry!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

[quote name='EyeFlyIsTheEye']I'll still take a Camry over an Accord anyday of the week... 231,000 miles and going strong! And about slow, I would like anybody to come and take on my TRD Supercharged Sequoia :D [/quote] There are accord guys driving around with 300k and 400k. My accord went to 200k, retired because of rust (resulting from previous owner abuse) Engine/tranny were as strong as day one (not that it was much). I redlined it daily. The biggest internal item that needed to be fixed was a $5 coolant thermostat (which btw corroded also because the previous owner never flushed the coolant)

[quote name='BernardP']The engines have almost always to be rebuilt before 50,000 milles...According to him, these problems are just about to explode in the open. He also told me that the WRX STI is going to be taken off the market by Subaru because of its poor engine/transmission reliability. [/quote] Hmm. All I can say is go back to him and make him either admit he's BSing, or have him write his statements of "facts" down so Subaru can sue him.

although it's off topic, but i couldn't resist :D we also own a toyota Matrix, which has 130HP. we bought it in the late 2003, and it has around 23000 miles on it now. and it starts to break down. 1.Strange engine noise: toyota said they have no idea what's going on with it either 2.The air condition doesnt work properly!!! today is 95'F ,and i dun feel the air condition is working at all: hot air blew out for my 45 min driving!! 3.the brake is wearing off quickly even with 100% non-aggressive driving style. 4. the screws inside the car are falling off for no reason 5. the Map light is not working suddnely 6. plastic edges around the windows popped out, and shape changed. and so on... well, we thouught toyota are reliable.

Regardless of who makes the car, you might want to contact a lemon law lawyer (say that three times fast) :D [quote name='crapy']although it's off topic, but i couldn't resist :D we also own a toyota Matrix, which has 130HP. we bought it in the late 2003, and it has around 23000 miles on it now. and it starts to break down. 1.Strange engine noise: toyota said they have no idea what's going on with it either 2.The air condition doesnt work properly!!! today is 95'F ,and i dun feel the air condition is working at all: hot air blew out for my 45 min driving!! 3.the brake is wearing off quickly even with 100% non-aggressive driving style. 4. the screws inside the car are falling off for no reason 5. the Map light is not working suddnely 6. plastic edges around the windows popped out, and shape changed. and so on... well, we thouught toyota are reliable.[/quote]

Archived