LegacyGT.com

"Rough" paint?

I know there have been some complaints about the paint on these cars, but I haven't seen "rough" as one of them. So I'm wondering if anybody else has paint like this?

I bought my car used, and today is the first day I have washed it. I noticed that the right 3/4 of the trunk lid, most of the right rear quarter panel, and most of the roof has very rough paint, almost like paint overspray.

I'm already questioning the possibility this car was in an unreported accident (nothing on carfax), and this is another thing making me think this.

Could be overspray, might not even be accident/repair related. I'd take it to a body place and have an expert assess the condition. Might just need to be polished or clayed.
ignore him, he'll go away.

Rough paint can be overspray, but the most likely suspect is "fallout" that sticks to the paint. That is, contanimants from the atmosphere that adheres to the paint. Common fixes are to "clay" the paint with a clay bar and thin wax like lube, this and after the use of polishing glazes and after wax, bring the paint back to a smooth finish. Every car can and frequently does get this condition. If this is not the case than your observation maybe correct.

Hope this helps. See exterior/interior care for more details.

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

Yes, my first inclination was the fix the problem rather then worry about the paint being like that for "bad" reasons.

Actually, I thought it was just totally lacking wax. It wasn't until I was cleaning the wax off that I noticed it wasn't getting better, then I felt it more carefully and realized it was very fine bumps.

I know how to make it smooth, and I most definately will one of these days. I'll probably clay it, or take a buffer with some mild abrasive (like a fine or medium cut cleaner) to it.

It was the location that is worrying to me. Basically it covers the right rear of the car, as though that section of the car was damaged and repainted. I know these cars aren't exactly known for good paint though, so I'm not terribly worried about it. I was just wondering if it was common or not :)

The other thing that makes me wonder if the front bumper was pretty clearly re-painted. The other day while I was removing the intake silencer I noticed that there was paper taped to the bottom of the radiator with red paint on it. Also, this car has 30k miles on it and there is not a single rock chip on it anywhere, the paint is immaculate.

this car has 30k miles on it and there is not a single rock chip on it anywhere, the paint is immaculate.

Smoking gun, car had to be repainted!:lol: My bumper was full of rock chips after my first roadtrip around 5K miles.

ignore him, he'll go away.

i don't know.. do you know how long the car has been on the lot? when i got my wagon, the car was sitting on the lot for about 4 months. right next to the sprinklers..

i needed to take the car to a detail shop to remove the hard water spots.. i mean it was bad!!! and all over the car!! normal washing, claying would not remove the darn thing.. i needed machinery to polish the darn things out..

just a suggestion..

i don't know.. do you know how long the car has been on the lot? when i got my wagon, the car was sitting on the lot for about 4 months. right next to the sprinklers..

i needed to take the car to a detail shop to remove the hard water spots.. i mean it was bad!!! and all over the car!! normal washing, claying would not remove the darn thing.. i needed machinery to polish the darn things out..

just a suggestion..

I'm fairly certain the car was on the lot for a bit over a month. There were no spots on in though, but I can see your point for the roughness. Potentially that portion of the car was in an area that caused the paint to become rough, especially if the car never moved while parked.

I think I'm going to call the dealership though, I am curious why at the very least the front bumper was repainted.

I'm fairly certain the car was on the lot for a bit over a month. There were no spots on in though, but I can see your point for the roughness. Potentially that portion of the car was in an area that caused the paint to become rough, especially if the car never moved while parked.

I think I'm going to call the dealership though, I am curious why at the very least the front bumper was repainted.

yeah, you couldn't see the hard water stain straight on.. but could see the hard water stain from an angle. but you could definate feel the 'roughness' when you run the finger over the paint..

anyways, hope the dealer takes care of you..

late,

k

Heard back from the dealer. They're the ones the originally sold it brand new, as well as to me. The guy I bought the car from talked about it with the original person that sold the car and neither are aware of any accidents (and again there's no report of it).

Guess I'll just fix the rough paint myself (doesn't look like orange peel to me) and be thankful I have the only 30k Legacy with no rock chips on the front :lol:

If you only have 30k, then you should still be under the 36k bumper-to-bumper, no?

I am. I plan on going to the local dealership this weekend for the studder issue, possibly the radiator fan (I *think* I have the stuck on fan problem), the side of the seat panel is loose and keeps coming off, and see if they'll replace some missing trim pieces inside the car.

Not sure I'll bother with the rough paint... I kinda like taking care of stuff like that myself.

Archived