LegacyGT.com

2007 LGT Test Drive in Santa Monica

Well I have been dying to try out the first "revision" of the legacy since I heard news of the minute changes so I headed over to Santa Monica Suburu to give it a try.

The good:

MUCH better wood trim on the inside. I wish I could have this trim in my car!

FOLDING rear seats. I cant tell you how much I love it.

The gauges look great too, except I would miss the rings around the temperature and gas gauge.

Power comes on SMOOTH, didn't feel nearly as herky-jerky as my 05.

(Then again it was an automatic, so maybe the automatics were always smoother? I dont really remember.)

Stereo, Although there may be more buttons, it doesnt really look as bad as people say, and I cant wait to hear the SRS WOW system on a digital source.

MPG Gauge: I guess its just me, but I always seem to drive a lot better with one of these gauges around.

The bad:

WHEELS, Definitely a step back in the looks department. To me they are OKAY, but people definitely seem to not like them.

CENTER DISPLAY: The center display is ONLY a clock now. The Fuel range and avg MPG are displayed ONLY in the dashboard display.

There is no more ET display. (This is the display that I would ALWAYS use)

The OKAY:

SI DRIVE: It does make a difference in the way the car goes about. I mode REALLY kills the power, and regular S mode seems to be normal. Super Sharp mode seems to put full boost earlier (As shown by the graphs in the in the speedometer.)

FINAL VERDICT:

Basically, this car just fills in all the little things that were missing since the 05 came out. Hopefully the 08 revision will finally get it perfectly right and ill be trading up!

SIDE NOTE:

Reza just got in a used white WAGON 5-SPEED! My goodness, sometimes I wish I would have gotten that instead of the sedan. Oh well, hopefully someone on these forums snatches it up quick! It needs to be in the hands of the enthusiast!

Great info - thanks! It's a silly little thing, but I use the ET function all the time, as well, and kind of miss it when I drive the other car.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

sounds cool -- i really dont get the SI drive, why would you ever drive around in I mode? (gas mileage?)

I think the MPG gauge in the dash is sort of tacky, it was nice to switch to it in the center console when you wanted to see it --- but I dont think it's worth taking up space to be always visible.

How was the climate control - did it behave any different than ours?

Great info - thanks! It's a silly little thing, but I use the ET function all the time, as well, and kind of miss it when I drive the other car.

i love the ET when i commute in the morning or when i try to get to places in a certain amount of time..hehe

The torque is so good on the turbo boxer that, as one reviewer wrote, 6 gears would be too much and unnecessary. If 6th were a dedicated OD then maybe but it looks as if the new marginally taller 6th gear just replaces 5th.

CENTER DISPLAY: The center display is ONLY a clock now. The Fuel range and avg MPG are displayed ONLY in the dashboard display.

There is no more ET display. (This is the display that I would ALWAYS use)

What??

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

• 1 month later...

Subaru Intelligent Drive

http://subaru.com.au/news/images/sI-drive1.jpg

Subaru Intelligent Drive (SI-Drive) is introduced on turbocharged LibertyGT's and 3.0 litre Libertys and Outbacks, offering three different driving experiences in the same car.

Drivers have the option to refine performance to suit their preferences.

SI-Drive can optimize fuel efficiency and ride comfort in stop-start city traffic, produce a lively response in flowing freeway or town traffic, or a rapid sporty drive on the open road.

It features three modes, each of which is clearly displayed on the instrument panel:

http://subaru.com.au/news/images/sI-drive2.jpg

Intelligent mode ensures gentle, smooth power output. It may contribute to greater economy in congested city driving at low to mid-speed, when teamed with a smooth driving style, or cruising on the freeway. Ideal for those searching for ride comfort and frugal fuel figures.

Sport mode optimizes performance on city and highway drives. Good for routine, day-to-day driving.

Sport # mode boosts engine revolutions for sharp, sporty driving (cannot be used while the engine is cold). Provides dynamic performance for true driving enthusiasts through highly responsive engine and throttle control.

SI-Drive regulates the engine and transmission control units, and fine-tunes the electronic throttle control.

http://subaru.com.au/news/images/sI-drive3.jpg

The control button is installed on the centre console. By pushing the dial, Intelligent mode is set. Sport mode is activated by turning the dial left and Sport # mode by turning it right.

There is also a steering wheel button to activate Sport # mode.

The modes can be changed while the car is moving.

The instrument panel includes an SI-Drive Multi-Function Display (MFD).

This communicates vehicle behaviour in the different modes. It includes an Eco gauge and Shift-up indicator (manual-only).

The needle of the Eco gauge stays in the green zone when fuel consumption is low, for the benefit of economy-minded drivers. Higher fuel consumption is indicated by the needle heading into the yellow zone.

The MFD shows comprehensive information about the power characteristics of the chosen mode via a simplified torque curve.

The Shift-up indicator, located in the tachometer on manual transmission models, uses a blinking indicator to advise the driver to change up a gear and save fuel when engine revolutions reach a certain level.

Internal testing by Fuji Heavy Industries, the maker of Subaru vehicles, indicates a vehicle driven in Intelligent mode can record up to 10 per cent more range.

What a step in the wrong direction. I don't like the new gauges, I don't like what they've done with the trip computer/clock, I don't like the SI-drive knob, I don't like the stereo changes.

I hate to sound so negative, but geez, the few changes that actually needed to be made could have been done so much better!

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

What a step in the wrong direction. I don't like the new gauges, I don't like what they've done with the trip computer/clock, I don't like the SI-drive knob, I don't like the stereo changes.

I hate to sound so negative, but geez, the few changes that actually needed to be made could have been done so much better!

I agree 100%. The only thing that needed fixing on the stock stereo in my opinion was a lack of satellite support and an Aux input (or 2 aux inputs if no satellite support). I like the layout of the 05 instrument cluster, it just needed to be cleaned up a bit (remove a bit of the white - I'll try and photoshop what I'm talking about).

I agree 100%. The only thing that needed fixing on the stock stereo in my opinion was a lack of satellite support and an Aux input (or 2 aux inputs if no satellite support). I like the layout of the 05 instrument cluster, it just needed to be cleaned up a bit (remove a bit of the white - I'll try and photoshop what I'm talking about).

I snapped this pic from my cluster today, and did the speedo the way I think it looks better. Sorry, I used MS Paint, i thought I had photoshop installed on my comp, but aparently I don't. And sorry it's not done very well.

P9100002------2.thumb.jpg.b289bb8aa07cacb2c1849f67e11fe6b5.jpg

Archived