LegacyGT.com

PC vs Swirls

You can get results that way, but it usually takes a few passes. You may have to reapply the product a couple times to get it to work, but I have done it before. A couple times in the past I have been out on a job and the backing came right off my cutting pad. I had to finish the job with a polishing pad. It works, it just takes longer.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Does the WG presealant have any abrasiveness to it to remove swirls.

Also just to go over something would I use the Yellow pad with the Pooboy SSR2, then white pad with Pre sealant and then Black with Sealnt. Thanks

Denial is your best friend

The presealant is chemically abrasive, but it won't touch swirls.

Your order of pads and products is correct. You might want to use SSR1 in between the SSR2 and the pre sealant, but that will be up to you when you see how the paint looks. It may not be necessary, but sometimes there is that hazing that can be cleaned up.

OCDETAILS BLOG

The PC doesn't really remove that much clear. It isn't like you are sanding down the paint or anything. You can polish out the paint with a PC dozens of times before you are in any danger of going through the clear. A rotary is another story though. You can burn clear through to the sheet metal without much effort. That is why I stick to the PC. Low risk and high results. That's what I like. :)

Meguiar's #83 (DACP: Dual Action Cleaner Polish) is probably most like 2.5. The difference is that DACP has diminishing abrasives in it and I'm not sure that SSR2.5 has that. Diminishing abrasives are particles that break down and basically get less abrasive as you go. That is why you don't typically need to polish out haze when finished with DACP, but with the SSRs you sometimes have to step down a level. I'm not sure what I would compare SSR1 to. Probably somewhere in the area of Meguiar's #9 minus the fillers. You get #9 results without the #9 fillers in other words.

Those are just my observations. I really haven't spent much time comparing the products side by side to get real scientific results or anything. It's kind of just a shot in the dark based on what I've experienced.

OCDETAILS BLOG

So does the compound actually "remove" clear coat so that the surrounding area is brought down to the same level as the "bottom" of the scratch or just sort of "shift" the clear coat around and "fill in" the scratch (kind of bending the ridges back into the valley of the scratch)?
It is still ugly.

OC i taut u got abducted...thx for answering my question...will shoot some more later.

I know the pilot is a dull vehicle and the pilot boards are even sadder than anything honda has ever released in the market..LOL

hang around here....we like ur company/advice.

Another $10 question is...why didnt u go for the tribeca over the heavier sloppier driving pilot? did u really need all that pilot room for 2 rugrats..one being limited to a car seat anyways?!!

Because A) the Tribecca is butt ass ugly, and B) the Tribecca is ugly. I got the Pilot for several reasons, but mostly because I like Hondas and this one was a great deal. It is also going to help out a lot as I take my detailing more mobile. Oh, and because the Tribecca is freaking ugly. :D After my experience with the LGT, I think it will be awhile before I trust Subaru to make a new car properly anyway. Who knows what sorts of problems I'd have with the Tribecca.

OCDETAILS BLOG

I still want to see pics of the Pilot, OCD :D

Just as soon as I get the body work done on the dented hood. :) I'm also going to have some great leather repair pictures to post soon. You guys will love those.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Hmm.. too bad you have lost your faith in Subarus... was the Legacy your first one? I am on my 3rd with no Major complaints. I guess if you had to buy the Tribeca brand new you would have saved some going with the Pilot...

I've had Subarus for years, but this was my first Turbo and also the first new car I have bought since 99. I guess a lot has changed.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived