LegacyGT.com

Car and Driver Review. A favor to us?

I just watched the C&D episode comparing the LGT to the TSX, etc. and it ocurred to me that the folks @ Car & Driver may actually be doing us a favor by letting Subaru know that they need to pump a bit more juice into the Legacy. I wonder how calculated their editorial approach is in terms of giving SOA a nudge towards the release of a Legacy Sti. Only time will tell. It's funny that their review of the car turned up the best 1/4 mile and 0-60 times of the group, but their commentary included mention of the "clunky" doors. Whatever floats the editors boat, I suppose.

It's interesting because in my opinion the clunk is more noticeable with the windows rolled completely down, like they showed when they closed the doors on TV. Oh well.. Maybe Subaru will want to get some better tires on the car from the factory, since I think that hurt it the most, and it's so easy to change.

Regarding the windows, I noticed in both of my test drives that the car is quite quiet with the windows up. When I first started shopping Subarus coming from an Acura TL, I was concerned about the frameless window, but I was really impressed with how well it sounded while driving. No complaints here. Regarding the suspension, I'm definitely changing tires on my car when I pick it up next week. Those RE92s, from everything I've read online, sound terrible.

I really think that Subaru should have put the JDM GT suspension into the 2.5GT and thus created more differentiation from the 2.5i as well as the Outback XT. The amount of body roll, although far from severe, is basically inexcusable considering the tuning state of the JDM/EDM models.

[quote name='sti_lust']I just watched the C&D episode comparing the LGT to the TSX, etc. and it ocurred to me that the folks @ Car & Driver may actually be doing us a favor by letting Subaru know that they need to pump a bit more juice into the Legacy[/quote] C&D did say it was over a full second faster 0-60 than every other car in the test, how much more juice do you think it needs? No, the problem is that the message C&D was sending to Subaru is essentially this: 1) We don't care that the LGT handles neutrally, all we care about is that the springs feel soft despite the fact that we like the way it rides. 2) The interior is too dark, we don't like dark interiors, depite the fact that the TSX's interior is just as dark. In fact we just like complaining a lot then contradicting ourselves. We didn't even mention the fact that you can get a tan interior in the LGT, that's how much we don't like Subarus. 3) We don't like the way every Subaru's door sounds the same when you close it - rattly. Despite all the factual evidence to the contrary, and despite the fact that we didn't actually ask around to see if non-press beater LGTs had any kind of rattling problem. 4) We don't like power, I mean 100 lb-ft more torque than the TSX? That's just overkill and we hate it. Make the car slower and we'll rate it higher. Any questions?

[quote name='Xaqtly'][quote name='sti_lust']I just watched the C&D episode comparing the LGT to the TSX, etc. and it ocurred to me that the folks @ Car & Driver may actually be doing us a favor by letting Subaru know that they need to pump a bit more juice into the Legacy[/quote] C&D did say it was over a full second faster 0-60 than every other car in the test, how much more juice do you think it needs? No, the problem is that the message C&D was sending to Subaru is essentially this: 1) We don't care that the LGT handles neutrally, all we care about is that the springs feel soft despite the fact that we like the way it rides. 2) The interior is too dark, we don't like dark interiors, depite the fact that the TSX's interior is just as dark. In fact we just like complaining a lot then contradicting ourselves. We didn't even mention the fact that you can get a tan interior in the LGT, that's how much we don't like Subarus. 3) We don't like the way every Subaru's door sounds the same when you close it - rattly. Despite all the factual evidence to the contrary, and despite the fact that we didn't actually ask around to see if non-press beater LGTs had any kind of rattling problem. 4) We don't like power, I mean 100 lb-ft more torque than the TSX? That's just overkill and we hate it. Make the car slower and we'll rate it higher. Any questions?[/quote] None, sir. Preach on... :lol: Kevin

[quote name='Xaqtly'] 3) We don't like the way every Subaru's door sounds the same when you close it - rattly. Despite all the factual evidence to the contrary, and despite the fact that we didn't actually ask around to see if non-press beater LGTs had any kind of rattling problem. [/quote] Roll your front windows all the way down.

Forgive my coloquial vernacular. When I said, "juice" I was referring to the overall package, including suspension. As far as the engine goes, I'm perfectly happy to have a car that does 0-60 in 5.8 and can still plow through the snow (with something better than RE92s). No complaints here. But, since the media is able to flex muscles and affect opinions and trends, I believe the article may have shed some light on what the car is missing in terms of suspension and overall handling. This can only be good for us as SOA takes note and makes improvements over time. Time will tell. In the meantime, I'll enjoy ripping around town from 0-60 in 5.8. Yummy.

[quote name='Xaqtly']We don't like the way every Subaru's door sounds the same when you close it - rattly. Despite all the factual evidence to the contrary, and despite the fact that we didn't actually ask around to see if non-press beater LGTs had any kind of rattling problem.[/quote] Actually, I have to agree with the C&D journalist on that one. I have noticed this very early on with my LGT (driver and front passenger doors). I believe it's worse when the window is down.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

I disagree with just about the entire article C&D wrote. My only complaint about the car is the tires. I find them noisy and yet their grip isn't good. I had the rear snap loose briefly this past weekend. I traveled the same road and the same speeds in my Kia and never had the car feel like it was gonna break loose, but the Legacy's rear poped out a little. Talk about having your heart stop. - Mike

[quote name='godwhomismike']I disagree with just about the entire article C&D wrote. My only complaint about the car is the tires. I find them noisy and yet their grip isn't good. I had the rear snap loose briefly this past weekend. I traveled the same road and the same speeds in my Kia and never had the car feel like it was gonna break loose, but the Legacy's rear poped out a little. Talk about having your heart stop. - Mike[/quote] Aw come on I love the slight rear-bias of this car. :D

[quote name='godwhomismike'] I had the rear snap loose briefly this past weekend. I traveled the same road and the same speeds in my Kia and never had the car feel like it was gonna break loose, but the Legacy's rear poped out a little. Talk about having your heart stop. - Mike[/quote] That's a complaint right? :D You don't like the rear end coming out? I can spin the rears and fishtail launching into a turn from about 2.5-3k (mild).. heh.. It's surprising when you don't expect it I guess. It's also throttle induced, not like the car is unstable.

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='Xaqtly'] 3) We don't like the way every Subaru's door sounds the same when you close it - rattly. Despite all the factual evidence to the contrary, and despite the fact that we didn't actually ask around to see if non-press beater LGTs had any kind of rattling problem. [/quote] Roll your front windows all the way down.[/quote] I did that very thing, and guess what? With the window rolled all the way down the door closes with a nice satisfying "thunk" - no rattles.

[quote name='Xaqtly'][quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='Xaqtly'] 3) We don't like the way every Subaru's door sounds the same when you close it - rattly. Despite all the factual evidence to the contrary, and despite the fact that we didn't actually ask around to see if non-press beater LGTs had any kind of rattling problem. [/quote] Roll your front windows all the way down.[/quote] I did that very thing, and guess what? With the window rolled all the way down the door closes with a nice satisfying "thunk" - no rattles.[/quote] Maybe you got the extra special limited version... or maybe you mean "thunkunkunkunk"... or maybe, you're just in denial.... I'd describe it best as "thuddddd"

[quote name='godwhomismike']I disagree with just about the entire article C&D wrote. My only complaint about the car is the tires. I find them noisy and yet their grip isn't good. I had the rear snap loose briefly this past weekend. I traveled the same road and the same speeds in my Kia and never had the car feel like it was gonna break loose, but the Legacy's rear poped out a little. Talk about having your heart stop. - Mike[/quote] Yes, your Kia will never have its rear end break loose because it will resolutely plow through corners. This is a good thing for most people. But not for those who like a little more excitement in their driving.

[quote name='Deer Killer']Maybe you got the extra special limited version... or maybe you mean "thunkunkunkunk"... or maybe, you're just in denial.... I'd describe it best as "thuddddd"[/quote] No, I know what a rattly door sounds like. I had a WRX. My Legacy doesn't do that, the door closes nice and solidly even with the window down.

3) We don't like the way every Subaru's door sounds the same when you close it - rattly. Despite all the factual evidence to the contrary, and despite the fact that we didn't actually ask around to see if non-press beater LGTs had any kind of rattling problem.

Roll your front windows all the way down.

I did that very thing, and guess what? With the window rolled all the way down the door closes with a nice satisfying "thunk" - no rattles.

Oh, I'll show you "FACT"

uprfdownrff2.rar

believeit.PNG.c1519418838d1228185bb84407071b78.PNG

uprfdownrff2.rar

Archived