LegacyGT.com

Car and Driver TV

So basically, here's what they counted against it: 1.) "Doors close with a rattly slam thanks to the frameless glass that's become a trademark of the company" 2.) "The interior is a tad drab thanks to an abundance of dark-colored plastic" 3.) "The suspension is just [i]a tad[/i] too soft." [img]http://www.inat.org/Images/Smilies/headscratch.gif[/img] Anyway, it was still cool to hear the engine.

I just saw that show. I don't know if that's a trademark of frameless doors, but it is true. When I was at a car show looking at an Impreza, I encountered that same cheap sound clunk. But, hey as long as it works. OK, so it's in that Japanese copied Euro interior styling, but looks fine to me. Is the suspension really that soft?

[quote name='bemani']Did you guys actually expect them to have different results from the print magazine????[/quote] Not different results but at least a little more explanation to justify the results. Obviously most of us thought they'd spend more time on the comparison. This just seemed like a filler. Honestly, I think I've seen commercials longer than this. [img]http://www.inat.org/Images/Smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[quote name='ssaldana']they dont even show the perspective of the legacy driver?[/quote] No, they show him talking about how you'll be 'the first across the intersection with the torque and traction' as he is driving, and then it shows him closing the door with the windows down. They show about 2-3 curves taken with a stationary camera, I'm sure there are/will be better amateur clips. You know in at least one of the new GT commercials they do show mild oversteer :)

I've actually lost a bit of respect for C&D. It's not that the legacy lost it's just by how much. I'd figure that the legacy accelerates better and the TSX handles a little better, therefore it should be close no matter how you slice it. But the TSX won hands down. Also, in the legacy article they were trying to improve fuel economy by cornering in 5th gear at 600 rpms. Im not a fuel consumption experts but if your giving it 5/10ths throttle it will use more fuel that being in a lower gear and giving it 1/10th throttle. I think they choose the wrong legacy for this comparison test because I think based on their testing the non-turbo probably would have done better just based on the better fuel-economy and lower price. Especially considering that the acceleration in the GT didn't count for squat. Another thing that i found funny was the article where they opportunity to test that Nascar car and take it on the track. The car's first gear goes up to 100 mph and they were trying to improve the 0-60 times by dropping the clutch at 8500 rpm's and "attempting" to spin the tires. Well it doesn't take a genious to figure out that you have 800 hp on one end and super sticky tires trying to spin at 90mph on the other something's going to break. They ended up frying the clutch and never got to take it on the track. What a bunch of morons. Oh well, i'm cancelling my subscription.

I puzzled. I found the frameless doors to “slam” perfectly. No matter how hard I shut the door (up to a point) the door closes softly and nice. Even a BMW owner made the comment it was very nice and loved it. I’m beginning to wonder why car reviews are not that wild about the GT given the price and everything. Perhaps I’m paranoid but I smell a rat.

Archived