LegacyGT.com

key fob stop working

i wanted to rest my car a bit this summer, since i have my brother's accord to drive. i wanted to get something out of my legacy, actually it was a parking ticket i needed to pay. anyways i had my legacy parked for about 1.5-2 weeks, and when i tried opening the trunk w/ the key fob, nothing happened. i thought somehow the drained the battery the key fob i was using. so i went and got my spare key fob, and tried using it, nothing happened. has this happened to anyone else? its really annoying.

Yes, it actually happened to me today. I had to use the trunk release inside the car. I tried using the fob several times and it wouldn't work.

Later on in the day I tried to use it again, and it' worked fine. Strange.

- The Mortgage Man

I find the FOB transitter really weak when behind the car. To open the trunk. I'll need to hold the button down for a long time or, sorta stratch over to the side of the car.

I guess I like no trunk lock from the outside. Less to go wrong, rust and esthetics.

I have had key fob problems every once in a while, it's the buttons on them, some times too senitive, then others, the door won't unlock unless I press the buttons down just right. I hope it's not a dead battery.

im thinking it's prolly a dead battery. any special way to jump start the legacy?

Well for one, I wouldn't gauge a dead car battery off the trunk not opening. Get in the car and try to start it :confused: . If it doesn't turn over then you know.

yea i left the map light on putting my autolock b4 i put my cover 2 weeks ago. im too scared to pop start my car cuz the hill has a crazy drop and turn straight to the many street.

can i just do the regular way of jump starting a car.

yea i left the map light on putting my autolock b4 i put my cover 2 weeks ago. im too scared to pop start my car cuz the hill has a crazy drop and turn straight to the many street.

can i just do the regular way of jump starting a car.

Put her in second gear (if MT), point her down the hill and start the damn car. If it doesn't start, you'll wish you had the tried maual approved jump start first. It's a long way back to the top of the hill.

update, tried jumpstarting followed the manual. made clicking sound, the dash light slowly charge, waited 5 minutes, then tried to start it. more clicking. tried a couple of times. same thing. got scared called roadside assistance. pop a lock will be here in 45 mins. well however long "45 mins" will be.

update II

pop a lock came in, hook the batteries straight up + on + and - on -. i grounded the - like the manual said. his way worked. left the car running for an hour. she's back to normail now.

btw, i notice alot of corrsion (sp) on the battery terminals. what's a safe way of cleaning it.

thanks

Get thee to the local auto parts store.

Get a battery brush, and some felt terminal pads (look like red and black/green felt washers)

disconnect the battery cables from the battery before cleaning, of course. Negative cable first to come off, last to be connected, to prevent voltage spikes.

The battery brush that I use has a terminal brush, which is a plastic cylinder that has a wire brush around the inside. put that over the terminal and twist to clean the terminals. It also has a cap over the other end, and under the cap, has a 'christmas tree' conical wire brush, which you can use to brush and clean the wire terminals, and other bits.

Once clean, put the felt pads on the battery terminals, red for positive, of course. These are impregnated with a chemical that inhibits corrosion. Some dielectric spray might help, too. it is mostly just a sealant to repel moisture, etc. Spray a quick burst over each terminal once the cables are hooked back up. brush-on dielectric grease is the other alternative, to promote conductivity, and keep out moisture and grime.

Archived