LegacyGT.com

Outback XT vs. Legacy GT: Big Differences?

When I bought my GT I really didn't do any research first. I know the motors are the same and the ground clearance is greater in the XT, but what are the other major differences between the XT and the GT? I saw a brand new XT tonight on my way to a ZZ Top concert. Looked like a happy new owner. I had the kids and was driving the mini-van so we didn't race. :o

Really the biggest difference is ground clearance and external appearance, but you already know that. Some other items the GT gets that the XT doesn't: - Vented rear disc brakes - Larger front and rear rotors - Aluminum components in suspension - Tailpipe covers - 17" low profile tires - Projector style foglights Some things the XT gets that the GT doesn't: - 12V outlet in rear - Wider tires, but 16" - Larger foglights - Longer travel Outback suspension Some other minor gearing differences, but I think that's about it. The ground clearance and tires make the most noticeable difference in handling. Ken

Not sure if this is true on the XT vs GT, but when we bought our Legacy and Outback (both 2.5i), my insurance went down(Legacy) while my wifes went up(Outback). I believe this is because the Outback is considered a truck rather than a passenger car.

My XT came with 17" x7" rims wrapped in 225/55 R17 High performance all season radials. I do not know how "high performance" they really are, but they have been fine for everyday driving. As far as the minivan thing goes, practical easy entry and enough room for the whole family including all their junk is a great selling feature. I have never been a huge fan, and have never owned one. You never hear a minivan owner complaining about the minivan's utility. You may hear them say somehting about the looks or the soccer mom image, but other than that, people love them. One more thing, most minivans have much better roominess qualities when compared to the Outback. The Outback will only handle 3 kids at most semi comfortably.

Guest *Jedimaster*
You took your kids to a ZZ Top concert? :lol: Outback comes with 17 inchers. Same crappy RE92's though. I prefer to ride up high and like the softer ride. A new set of shoes and the handling is now close to my old WRX wagon. The brakes are a bit smaller than on the GT but are more than adequate. Once I drove the Outback compared to the Legacy, there really was no question which one I was going to get. And even though some people think they're cheesy, I really like the fender flares. I've noticed more people recognizing what it is now too- some coworkers have asked me why people don't pop for the Outback when it looks so much nicer.

Yeah, I took my 2 and 5 year old to ZZ Top. It was at an outdoor amphitheater here in Bend so the boys had a little room to run around. Bummer was it rained a little bit. I have a 94 Chrysler Town and Country AWD. This is my 2nd minivan. :o It's awesome, especially for kids and hauling bikes around. With the 3rd seat out it's cavernous. I think it's a great compromise to owning some monster "Expeburban" and gets pretty good gas mileage. It's all leather too so when the kids hurl it just wipes right off... 8) Not that I'd make a trade as I like the sportiness of the GT over the XT, but there have been times when I've been in some relatively deep snow and think the added ground clearance might come in handy. Like I said I just didn't research out the whole thing too much. Once I felt the turbo rush the A4 was history. Don't tell anyone, but I was on the bubble with purchasing a Baja over the GT just because of price. Oh man am I glad I didn't make that mistake!

[quote name='Th3Franz']Minivan vs Outback Roominess - Stalemate Performance - Outback Utility - Stalemate Ground clearance - Outback Soccer mom-ness - Minivan So why do people still buy minivans again? :lol:[/quote] I wouldn't say its quite that easy. Comparing the 2.5XT to a Sienna LE AWD Price the are dollar for dollar the same, both have a $28,095 MSRP. Roominess - Passenger Volume (cu. ft.) 97.40 for the XT , 177.40 for the Sienna Performance, I will give it to the XT, but the Sienna is decent for what it is, yes its down 20hp, but its only down 8 lb/ft and is made at the same 3,600rpms as the XT. Utility, again, depends on what you want to do, Towing? The Sienna tows more, and has a higher payload capacity, not to mention a ton more internal space. All seats in, the XT has 33.50 cu/ft cargo space, the Sienna (all three seats) has 43.60 cu/ft. Ground clearance, again the XT wins, but only be 1.8" and both have AWD. Soccer mom-ness deffinitely goes to the minivan. Just saying there [i]are[/i] reasons to buy a minivan.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='TAckhouse1'] there [i]are[/i] reasons to buy a minivan.[/quote] True- very useful for people with kids. I'd still avoid it. My brother has 3 kids. He has a minivan, but he's in no way a car guy.

I owned a Dodge Grand Caravan, and with the seats out I could fit full sheets of plywood (4'x8') in the back. Tons of room for moving stuff or driving around 6 passengers. Of course the handing and acceleration are not in the same ballpark as an Outback. Just completely different vehicles.

[quote name='Ken S']Really the biggest difference is ground clearance and external appearance, but you already know that. Some other items the GT gets that the XT doesn't: - Vented rear disc brakes - Larger front and rear rotors - Aluminum components in suspension - Tailpipe covers - 17" low profile tires - Projector style foglights Some things the XT gets that the GT doesn't: - 12V outlet in rear - Wider tires, but 16" - Larger foglights - Longer travel Outback suspension Some other minor gearing differences, but I think that's about it. The ground clearance and tires make the most noticeable difference in handling. Ken[/quote] The Outback XT also gets 17" wheels/tires (not 16") and it has the same projector headlamps as the GT (and all the other Legacy/OB models -- there is only one style headlight). Craig

[quote name='c_hunter'][quote name='Ken S']Really the biggest difference is ground clearance and external appearance, but you already know that. Some other items the GT gets that the XT doesn't: - Vented rear disc brakes - Larger front and rear rotors - Aluminum components in suspension - Tailpipe covers - 17" low profile tires - Projector style foglights Some things the XT gets that the GT doesn't: - 12V outlet in rear - Wider tires, but 16" - Larger foglights - Longer travel Outback suspension Some other minor gearing differences, but I think that's about it. The ground clearance and tires make the most noticeable difference in handling. Ken[/quote] The Outback XT also gets 17" wheels/tires (not 16") and it has the same projector headlamps as the GT (and all the other Legacy/OB models -- there is only one style headlight). Craig[/quote] But he was saying the Legacy gets projector style FOGlights....not headlights...the OB gets reflector style fogs... [quote name='Th3Franz']Minivan vs Outback Roominess - Stalemate Performance - Outback Utility - Stalemate Ground clearance - Outback Soccer mom-ness - Minivan So why do people still buy minivans again? :lol:[/quote] I'm curious why you chose the OB over the Legacy for performance... Oh and another difference between the two is that (in the 5MT) the OB gets a higher final drive ratio (Legacy GT - 4.111, Outback XT - 4.444).

[quote name='Ken S']. - Aluminum components in suspension . Ken[/quote] Could someone please tell me witch components are aluminum? I had my wheels off to clean them, and I looked. I could not identify any aluminum components in the suspension. Everything was either cast iron, or origomi steel.

Some OB Wagons get rear seat armrest and none of Leg GTs get this expected item. Also, some OBs get the front headliner storeage/control panel feature ( I think) and none for Leg GT. I don't get the fender cladding on the OB. Is it to keep tires from throwing mud rocks up on car side? Is it just to meet cosmetic mkt expectation for off road image? If I like my very much, I may consider an OB in three years, when I move to the montains. By then, sport suspension kit will be out and well tested. I like the idea of a slightly lowered OB with 235/8/18s. Hope Suby gives OB the larger Leg brakes.

[quote name='MtnSub']Some OB Wagons get rear seat armrest and none of Leg GTs get this expected item. Also, some OBs get the front headliner storeage/control panel feature ( I think) and none for Leg GT. I don't get the fender cladding on the OB. Is it to keep tires from throwing mud rocks up on car side? Is it just to meet cosmetic mkt expectation for off road image? If I like my very much, I may consider an OB in three years, when I move to the montains. By then, sport suspension kit will be out and well tested. I like the idea of a slightly lowered OB with 235/8/18s. Hope Suby gives OB the larger Leg brakes.[/quote] As for the brakes...I'm sure the disks are swappable....

I'm sure the disc brakes are swappable, but it would also necessitate getting 17" rims to clear them. The OB cladding is more for cosmetic reasons. It gives the OB a more outdoorsy, rugged look. If they were really to be functional, they would probably be unpainted and extend up higher around the vehicle. Ken

[quote name='Ken S']I'm sure the disc brakes are swappable, but it would also necessitate getting 17" rims to clear them. The OB cladding is more for cosmetic reasons. It gives the OB a more outdoorsy, rugged look. If they were really to be functional, they would probably be unpainted and extend up higher around the vehicle. Ken[/quote] Um...since when did the OB XT NOT come with standard 17" wheels? :?

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='Ken S']I'm sure the disc brakes are swappable, but it would also necessitate getting 17" rims to clear them. The OB cladding is more for cosmetic reasons. It gives the OB a more outdoorsy, rugged look. If they were really to be functional, they would probably be unpainted and extend up higher around the vehicle. Ken[/quote] Um...since when did the OB XT NOT come with standard 17" wheels? :?[/quote] I thought it had 16" wheels stock, unlike the Legacy GT.

[quote name='Th3Franz'][quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='Ken S']I'm sure the disc brakes are swappable, but it would also necessitate getting 17" rims to clear them. The OB cladding is more for cosmetic reasons. It gives the OB a more outdoorsy, rugged look. If they were really to be functional, they would probably be unpainted and extend up higher around the vehicle. Ken[/quote] Um...since when did the OB XT NOT come with standard 17" wheels? :?[/quote] I thought it had 16" wheels stock, unlike the Legacy GT.[/quote] A popular misconception appeaently... Ala subaru.com: Wheels - 17x7.0-inch 5-spoke aluminum-alloy. Silver finish. Tires - 225/55 R17 95V high-performance all-season

Archived