LegacyGT.com

Oh man, I'm really starting to hate subaru (dealers) )long rant,etc

I feel pretty cheesed off right now. I've been having rattling issues in the interior of my car since I got it and so I took it in to see if they could finally resolve them when I had an oil change. I got the car back today. The service guy says they had fixed them and put some sound deadening in the doors and dash and took it out for a drive and they couldn't hear anything. I'm like great, finally maybe they'll be gone.

So I get heading for home and all the rattles are still there! I look at the odometer and it is has been driven 0.2 miles! They didn't drive the car. They didn't open the doors or dash because the center vent is still crooked from the last time I had it in.

I'm so sick of this. I just want my car to stop rattling. It is super noticable. Kias are a vault of silence compared to this thing. If they can't fix it why don't they just say so instead of just straight lying to my face about it?

What am I supposed to do here? I can't really take it to another dealer since it's about 120 miles away. I feel ripped off. If I trade this thing off on a honda or something I'm going to lose a bunch of money on the deal, and if I keep the car I'm going to feel shady about this dealer now and I don't want that kind of thing hanging over owning this car.

I've been on the phone with the survey people and they all make things sound all peachy but it's all such an act as nothing actually gets resolved.

I don't know, I'm just frustrated and I regret ever buying this rattling POS.

2 options: different dealer or fix it yourself. I know the later is not what yu want to hear, because the car should be right from the start, but that's what I did, it didn't take too long, and now I'm happy. I fact, one of the rattles was just a penny laying in the seat rail.

Either way, unless that's the only dealer around for miles and miles, I'd stop using them. If they lie about that, they'll lie about other stuff too.

I feel your pain. I don't want to, but I do. Same experience here. To the point where I don't actually drive the car (have other cars). Looked into selling it, but value plummets once you drive off the lot in these things.

This time I blame myself though, I should have researched the car better before I bought it. Had I done a few internet searches.....

I flew blind on this one - thought since CR gives it a top award, I should be ok. WRONG. :(

Hope you have better luck than I did with other dealers. I took mine to Jiffy Lube for oil change, just because I want no part of Subaru or its affiliates getting another dime of mine. Almost hoping the car would blow up at this point haha.

I plan to tear open the areas that are rattling, probably this weekend, and see what some foam insulating can cure but it still makes me mad that you buy a $20k car and you have to resort to scouring internet forums for do it yourself repairs. I guess all cars are a gamble really but I really thought subaru was a pretty safe bet given a lot of what I read. Part of me wants to just eat the $2k depreciation and move on to something different and part of me wants to give this car more of a shot. I don't know, I just wish I had gotten one that wasn't a dud.

To try and help you guys get your rattles resolved a little easy...

Make sure when you take the car in for the rattles to let them know where the rattle is coming from, what conditions make it occur, etc. The more information you can give them the easier it will be for them to find and correct them.

If you just take the car in and say the interior rattles...it leaves a lot of room for the tech to try and interpret.

I know rattles can be annoying, but personally rattles<safe, reliable, fun car anyday. :D

• 4 weeks later...

As a former Audi man, I agree about the rattles in my new Legacy GT. The fit and finish just does not compare. There is an easy solution however: Step on the gas! Every time I do it, I remember why I put up with the poor workmanship... I also turn up my stereo and, voila, the rattles are gone.

Rattles are something that my experience has shown only get worse if you try to get a dealer to fix them... I'll do a little poking around, but otherwise I just leave it be.

Sorry I have no real answers...

Must be a Friday or Monday build thing. I've got 17K on mine and have had no rattles at all. A good dealer should be able to take care of that, though. My dealer's service rep just called me yesterday and told me about the reflash as well as the TSB regarding the cooling fan problem. He asked me when I would like to bring my car in to check it out...I guess I was lucky, but this dealer has been rated in the top five in the Suby mag the last 4 years.

Well I too must be lucky...15K and nothing has gone wrong except the stutter, which was fixed with the reflash.

Anyway, I had a Mazda Protege that had a crazy rattle from the seatbelt tensioner on the drivers side.

The dealer said they couldn't hear it/I'm nuts etc...so I took my trusty Sony Handycam and went for a drive and taped 20 mins of rattling.

Went back, sat the Svc Mgr down and said here, watch this.

He did. All 20 mins. He went more nuts that I was.

They fixed the rattle.

If it occurs with the Leggasaurus, I plan on dong the same.

C

I had rattle from my sunroof headliner...took it in fix was made...no more rattles...it's a fact...sounds like you need to communicate with you service manager a bit more thouroughly as some of these examples have said...might be the only way...some dealers need a little hand holding! ...or neck shaking as it were! Good luck!

Take it back in, find service manager, tell him not to lie to you anymore:icon_mad: and to fix the *$%#-in' rattles. If you still have a couple rattles left, search the posts here, use the info to seek and destroy the rest of the rattles!!:icon_wink GL.
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Archived