LegacyGT.com

STi uppipe welds

MIKEBRAVO

I have heard that in the past the heat shield welds on the Sti uppipes have broken loose and rattled. As a result, I decided to have some welds added, six to be exact. Prior to the new welds you could hear the shield's propensity to rattle by just taping on it. The original welds where weak and too few. I had to be careful though, I didn't want to added too many and mess with the expansion and contraction feature. I am happy with what I ended up with.

906068603_Subaruuppipe001_640x480.jpg.c1b6165d595f67f30867caabcb49f5d8.jpg

379662148_Subaruuppipe004_640x480.jpg.b2ddf8793eaab8c4be3b054ad7ca9bc2.jpg

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

Problem is that you didn't reinforce the welds that actually break. The problematic areas are where the heat shields attach to the flanges. That's were you want to add a few spot welds.

I bought a used STi uppipe a while ago and those are the welds that failed. Took it to a muffler shop and they welded it up for me. When I asked how much I owed them, the owner said just tip the welder. I think I gave him $10.

Problem is that you didn't reinforce the welds that actually break. The problematic areas are where the heat shields attach to the flanges. That's were you want to add a few spot welds.

I bought a used STi uppipe a while ago and those are the welds that failed. Took it to a muffler shop and they welded it up for me. When I asked how much I owed them, the owner said just tip the welder. I think I gave him $10.

would you mind highlighting those areas described on the images in this thread?

I took my 240's header to a shop to weld up the emissions crap, he said the same thing. Just tip the welder.

I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

would you mind highlighting those areas described on the images in this thread?

Its the weld next to the Subaru insignia.

I thought about adding another weld on the flange but its Stainless, which is part of the prob, because the shield isn't. The difference in metals contributes to the weakness. Additionally the shield is attached to the flange via a tab from the heatshield. I'm not sure if adding additional welds would help. In fact it might even affect the expasion and contraction aspects of the metal. However, I think vibration is the true problem, so in hopes of limiting the vibration of the two shield pieces rubbing I had those secured.

i went to nasioc forum to look for one with no luck, im wondering which aftermarket ones have no problems? i read about some leaking here and there, my plans are to get the up and the dp.

the ones the catch my intirest the most are the cobb units, they look well built.

i went to nasioc forum to look for one with no luck, im wondering which aftermarket ones have no problems? i read about some leaking here and there, my plans are to get the up and the dp.

the ones the catch my intirest the most are the cobb units, they look well built.

Was the leaking from the gaskets or flex joint?

Isnt a new one(STi catless) from the dealer rather reasonable?? I'm thinken under $150 ?? maybe I'm wrong.

I just got a "deal" on one, $297.

Flex and heat shield were important. No one had the nearly indentical Bosal for $169, in stock.

ProTUNED by RaminiSports :icon_mrgr

just need to get a flex up pipe to avoid the leaks

yes, a flex allows for easier fitment, but I thought flex's could end up leaking over time at the "flex" section as this area is prone to more wear???

i think it really comes down to the installer and if they are tightening everything up properly (flex or not). i think a lot of the leaks reported are because of shade tree machanics or shops that don't take the time to do it right or think they are doing it right, but aren't. my 2 cents.

I just got a "deal" on one, $297.

Flex and heat shield were important. No one had the nearly indentical Bosal for $169, in stock.

the bosal costs that much!? thats a good price, might have to look at that one....

Archived