LegacyGT.com

Ouch! Windshield price

My Scooby isn't even 1 year old, it's 1 week shy. Lots of small pits on the windshield but last night a tiny, tiny pebble hit it. This morning, there's a crack 20" long.

I still can't believe the quote from Safelite for $725 + tax. Big OUCH!:( I would be going through my insurance so it will only be my $250 deductible.

But my curse has struck again. In the last 10 years, I have gone through one windshield every two year and two years is up.

Damn!!! I was just looking through my windshield the other day thinking I'm gonna' have to replace it soon. The usual pits all over the place are making it difficult to see. This is all out of pocket too since my insurance won't cover glass damage unless it's vandalism...........hhmmmm.

I'm used to spending $300 or so for a windshield but $700 is rediculous. I think we're on the same schedule Longhiway as I rarely make it longer than 2 years myself.

Wonder how many windshields get done in my tractor trailors?

In my maxima (2 cars ago), a tractor trailer cut into the left lane(I had to brake). He over shot the lane slightly and his wheels kicked up a bunch ofgrave on the side. Peppered my wind shield and put chips all over the front of the car.

The glass heater should be separate from the glass. Maybe on the wipers arms instead of the glass to reduce replacement cost. Glad I don't have it.

Do they give europeans this kind of weak glass?

Messed around with Safelite's quoting.

w/heating element

blue tint: 725

green tint: 710

no tint: 605

w/o heating element

blue tint: 500

no tint: 465

All these prices include a new molding.

I'm in NJ, and had quotes from Safelite of $667. But I also had A1Glass, quote me $337, with heating elements & tint band! I even emailed and specifically stated it was a 2005 LGT w/heat & tint. she replied, yes, we realize that, and the quote is still $337!

OTOH, I had to replace the sliding door glass on my wife's '05 Odyssey, and Safelite was the cheapest at $227, whereas others were anywhere from $294-385.

So, I would check around if I were you, unless your ins. co. doesn't raise rates or care how much they overpay...

That price seems really high.

When I had to get mine replaced I was quoted way less then that from safelite. I ended up getting a factory OEM windshield, and gasket (forget the price - i need to get the invoice out of the glove box).

That price seems really high.

When I had to get mine replaced I was quoted way less then that from safelite. I ended up getting a factory OEM windshield, and gasket (forget the price - i need to get the invoice out of the glove box).

Yeah,,I didn't think mine was that high either.?? I'll check.:icon_wink

I am just getting replaced mine. Today left my Leggy at a body shop for a roof damage some focking a**hole did to my 2 WEEKS OLD CAR!!!!!

In meantime the windshield got a chip (saw this freaking stone flying towards me), large enough so it's not repairable.

This is all out of pocket too since my insurance won't cover glass damage unless it's vandalism...........hhmmmm.

Sounds like you need a Louiseville Slugger fix!!:icon_mrgr

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

That seems pretty high to me too. I have to get my windshield replaced shortly and got several quotes ranging from $500 from the dealer (no shock there) to less than $300 from a local windshield replacement company (all using OEM glass, heated elements, and tint).

$215 installed (dealer pricing) for mine just 10 days ago. however, there was a local shop who was installing windshields for $200. not sure if it was a little more for the heat elements or not. either way, $700 is total ass raping! you should be able to get it done for far less. plus, you're on earth in the lower 48 and I'm in AK! no way should our pricing be LESS than yours!
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Sounds like you need a Louiseville Slugger fix!!:icon_mrgr

Hmmmm... ....what? I have no idea what you're suggesting..........................:icon_wink

Does anybody have any thoughts on OEM vs aftermarket glass; specifically which would resist chipping better? Windshields these days seem awfully fragile/prone to chipping.

that's way too high IMO.. my cousin's forester with the heater lines and tinted top came out to be only $200.. are you sure Safelite is not charging you the "insurance claim price"? There's a big difference in the insurance claim deductible price and the out-of-pocket price.. and since the car isnt that old, they can re-use the old molding (most of the time).

Even my 2002 WRX windshield was only $150, and that's just the plain glass.. $600+ is ridiculous.

We'll, I cracked my GT's windshield just this weekend, I'll post up my pricing for replacing the whole piece vs. repairing the rock hit.

Keefe

With small shops, going through the insurance company is usually higher since they want to charge for the "processing fee".

Safelite is who AAA uses for windshield replacement so I'm just letting them deal with it. If I was paying out of pocket, I would be looking for a better deal.

I don't know what the shop I left the car is going to charge my insurance company (that's a BMW shop, but asked them to get OEM glass/trim), but just for comparison I called a local Subaru dealer (Nitti in Hamilton, NJ) and they quoted $625!!!! I did not tell them about insurance.... rip off.

EDIT: called another dealer (Flemington Subaru) and they said $367+tax for non-OEM glass. He said OEM glass would be north of $700 so he didn't even check. Crazy.

I checked on replacing the windshield a few months ago. I had a chip that turned into a 24" crack in a few hours (about 2 weeks after I bought the car). Here are prices for northern ca.

Safelight: $700

Maita Subaru: $695

Competative pricing?!? I almost feel like waiting until its a 48" crack before I do anything about it.

Archived