LegacyGT.com

Tint and front plates in Illinois?

I just moved to Illinois, so I don't have enough experience to know what goes and what doesn't in this state. From what I've read, it seems that front tint is illegal, but are there certain setups that seem to pass, while others will get you pulled over? I'm in the Northwest Chicago suburbs (Schaumburg area) and am thinking about getting 20% on the backs, and 35% on the fronts....will I run into problems? Secondly, front plates suck! Will I run into problems if I don't have front plates? Will I be a cop magnet without a front plate and tinted windows? I used to have really dark windows in Michigan when I was in High School and got pulled over all the time. I really don't want to go through that again...

You need the front plate and any tint on the front side windows is illegal. You can tint the rear door windows and back window as much as you like. Some people never have trouble and some people get pulled over repeatedly until they put on a front plate and remove the tint from the front side windows.

[quote name='!S4']That's like asking a cop how much you can speed before he'll pull you over. They'll say none![/quote] Here's the chart. 35% is legal in MI. [url]http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/State%20Law%20Chart.htm[/url] One plate for MI. [url]http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/misclaw.html[/url] Anything else?

The 35% in michigan on the front is for only the top 4". It looks horrible. I know one plate for Michigan. I just moved [i]from[/i] there to Illinois. Can you get pulled over for tint or front plate violations in Illinois?

any tint on front 2 windows is illegal. Front plate is REQUIRED. I have my rear at 20% and front at 35% for a week now without problem(knock knock). I also refuse to put holes in my front bumper. We'll see how long I can get away w/ it for. Mike.......

If there was a braket that drilled into the BOTTOM of the bumper, that'd be one thing. It'd suck if I move back to Michigan in a couple years and want to take that hideous front plate holder off, but can't because there'd be two holds...

[quote name='!S4']The 35% in michigan on the front is for only the top 4". It looks horrible. I know one plate for Michigan. I just moved [i]from[/i] there to Illinois. Can you get pulled over for tint or front plate violations in Illinois?[/quote] I guess that would all depend on the cop. Personally, I've seen quite a few cars here in Schaumburg with heavy tint on the front. I can ask the cop I train under next week and see what he says.

[quote name='rao']You need the front plate and any tint on the front side windows is illegal. You can tint the rear door windows and back window as much as you like. Some people never have trouble and some people get pulled over repeatedly until they put on a front plate and remove the tint from the front side windows.[/quote] Like Rao said, you need the front plate, and tinting the fronts is illegal. I believe they can pull you over for no front plate (also watch out where you park, meter maids can and will give you a ticket for it too) As for the tint, I don't know if you can be pulled over for it. -Nick

Archived