LegacyGT.com

Question about factory hitch on '06 Legacy

There has been a lot of discussion about whether or not the Outback trailer hitch can be used on the Legacy. I ordered one and installed it on my '06 Legacy GT wagon. There is a difference in the mounting. The hitch comes with two 6 inch long bar stock braces that are supposed to bolt through the side of the hitch frame (so that the hitch is hanging in the bolt shaft rather than the threads) and into the frame of the Outback, to supplement the main brackets (and six bolts) that attach to the bottom of the car frame. The regular Legacy does not have the mounting points for the side brackets. My guess is that the side brackets provide extra safety to support the tongue weight. Has anyone installed this hitch on a Legacy and towed anything over 1,000lbs, and did you have any trouble?

There has been a lot of discussion about whether or not the Outback trailer hitch can be used on the Legacy. I ordered one and installed it on my '06 Legacy GT wagon. There is a difference in the mounting. The hitch comes with two 6 inch long bar stock braces that are supposed to bolt through the side of the hitch frame (so that the hitch is hanging in the bolt shaft rather than the threads) and into the frame of the Outback, to supplement the main brackets (and six bolts) that attach to the bottom of the car frame. The regular Legacy does not have the mounting points for the side brackets. My guess is that the side brackets provide extra safety to support the tongue weight. Has anyone installed this hitch on a Legacy and towed anything over 1,000lbs, and did you have any trouble?

You are correct the standard Legacy (and GT) are missing the attachment point for the two "bar" straps. But those are engineered for the Outback and it's 3,700 lb towing capacity, the Legacy's (2.5i & 2.5GT) only have a 2,700 lb towing capacity. Both the Outback and the Legacy share the 200 lb tongue weight.

That being said, I have towed 2,400 lbs behind my 2.5i wagon using the Subaru hitch without the brackets and no concerns (just be sure to have the proper trailer brakes for heavy weights like that). If you are still concerned you can add the brackets from the Outback to the frame of the Legacy that will allow you to install the two "bar" straps as per the directions. NOTE-This will not increase the cars towing capacity.

I recently added them as an extra measure of safety.

The frame brackets bolt to existing threaded holes already in the Legacy wagons rear frame. Here are there part numbers:

Right Rear bracket: 50825AG10A

Left Rear bracket: 50825AG11A

And you will need 2 additional bolts, P/N: 010110250

You are correct the standard Legacy (and GT) are missing the attachment point for the two "bar" straps. But those are engineered for the Outback and it's 3,700 lb towing capacity, the Legacy's (2.5i & 2.5GT) only have a 2,700 lb towing capacity. Both the Outback and the Legacy share the 200 lb tongue weight.

That being said, I have towed 2,400 lbs behind my 2.5i wagon using the Subaru hitch without the brackets and no concerns (just be sure to have the proper trailer brakes for heavy weights like that). If you are still concerned you can add the brackets from the Outback to the frame of the Legacy that will allow you to install the two "bar" straps as per the directions. NOTE-This will not increase the cars towing capacity.

I recently added them as an extra measure of safety.

The frame brackets bolt to existing threaded holes already in the Legacy wagons rear frame. Here are there part numbers:

Right Rear bracket: 50825AG10A

Left Rear bracket: 50825AG11A

And you will need 2 additional bolts, P/N: 010110250

Thanks for the info and additional part #'s Opie!

Could you post a picture of the rear of your wagon after you have installed the hitch? What did the hitch cost you? Thanks.

Here's a pic of my 2.5i Wagon with the hitch:

http://www.thel7.com/Wills/2.5i/Hitch.jpg

That's just what mine looks like.

Just a word of caution for those installing wiring connectors on your GT Wagons (to actually use it to tow instead of mount up a rack), make sure that your wiring connector wire free end is run through "above" the hitch, not through underneath.

The GT Wagon's low height in the rear, means that the hitch can drag on sharp dips/turn ups and if the wiring is anywhere underneath (especially with the 4-pin connector cover mounting the free-end to the safety chain location), you can easily scuff off the protective outer sheath and the actual wire covering itself.

Opie,

Thank you for providing the P/N's for hitch frame brackets. I was somewhat concerned that the Subaru Legacy Hitch contained the extra straps to run from the side of the hitch itself but that there was no "bracket" to connect the straps to on the Legacy.

My question is do the part numbers you listed above, provide the connecting spot on both sides to connect the vertical straps and if so, where do the brackets mount? Also, the instructions clearly indicate that this is a 2005 "Legacy" hitch so why don't these brackets come with the hitch? Just curious.

I put my wagon up on a rack and then lowered the rack to a point where I could use my mechanic's creeper and roll around underneath and scope out the connection points. When I took down the exhaust cans, and pulled the heat shields down to initially mount up the hitch, I could not see where the vertical straps were supposed to connect on the side of the frame. The instructions were pretty clear as to "where" they were to mount up, but I couldn't see the location.

Did you remount it with the straps and if so, do you have any pictures to show how it's supposed to be mounted up on the Legacy.

Alternatively, does anyone with an Outback want to snap off a couple of shots to show how it's supposed to mount up?

I'm waiting to see where/how it goes together before ordering.

TIA, SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The brackets have two mounting holes in them, the rear mounting holes on the bracket share the same mounting hole and bolt as the rearmost hitch mount. The second hole uses a new bolt and also goes into a threaded hole in the frame, the hole is covered by a removable plug. I'll see if I can take pics tonight without having to lower the mufflers.

The brackets have two mounting holes in them, the rear mounting holes on the bracket share the same mounting hole and bolt as the rearmost hitch mount. The second hole uses a new bolt and also goes into a threaded hole in the frame, the hole is covered by a removable plug. I'll see if I can take pics tonight without having to lower the mufflers.

Thanks for the info and hopefully the pics will make it even more clear.

SBT

Thanks for posting this pic. How much clearance is there between the bottom of the hitch, and the pavement?

8.5 inches, and it's never drug on the ground.

Here's the pic of the bracket (drivers side):

http://www.thel7.com/images/bracket.JPG

One other thing to note if you are using this hitch to tow a trailer is that the drawbar included with the hitch is to low to be used with the Legacy 2.5i or 2.5GT, this is because the Outback is taller.

To solve this I purchased a drawbar from Draw-Tite to level the trailer, it was Draw-Tite part# 3592

You can see the difference in this pic, the top is the Draw-Tite drawbar, the bottom is the Subaru drawbar included with the kit.

http://www.thel7.com/images/bars.jpg

:D

what did the oem brackets cost? $10-20 each?

Slightly less than $20 each, SubaruParts.com shows them for $17 and some change.

8.5 inches, and it's never drug on the ground.

One other thing to note if you are using this hitch to tow a trailer is that the drawbar included with the hitch is to low to be used with the Legacy 2.5i or 2.5GT, this is because the Outback is taller.

To solve this I purchased a drawbar from Draw-Tite to level the trailer, it was Draw-Tite part# 3592

You can see the difference in this pic, the top is the Draw-Tite drawbar, the bottom is the Subaru drawbar included with the kit.

http://www.thel7.com/images/bars.jpg

Thanks Opie, that's what I was looking for. I'll order the brackets and the 2 extra bolts. If I understand correctly, the two extra bolts are for bolting the two hitch mounting "straps" that came with the hitch to the hitch mounting "brackets" that you provided the P/Ns for above?

Also, notice how much more shank the Subaru OEM receiver bar has (to the left of the receiver pin hole), whereas the DT one does not have as much, but if you lined up the pin holes, the DT hitch ball would be slightly more out from the bumper. At least that's the way it looks in the pictures.

I know that the Subaru bar is solid. Is the Draw Tite one a solid bar too? If not, I may go this route and add a Silent Pin to it. These draw bars can get really noisy, and the Silent Pin attentuates all of the noise out of the hitch-bar connection but does require a hollow bar to work. Link here... Cargo Carriers, Sport Trailers, and Tow Accessories - Let’s Go Aero

FWIW - I use the receiver draw bar off my 2001 Forester S hitch. It already has the 2" ball on it that I need and I'm too lazy to take if off and put it on the Legacy receiver. It does pull my "lifted" LGA All Terrain Gear Wagon flat and level with no issues. LGA AT GW link here... High Capacity, Lightweight Enclosed Sport Trailers - Let’s Go Aero

We have some substantial up/down angle streets here and I've drug the tow bar twice now... once with the wiring inadvertently left underneath, both times at stock height with no trailer on behind. No real damage, just scuffed off a bit of the protective sheath :(. I just watch where I'm turning and keep it slow and easy until I know I'm through the danger zone.

SBT

Thanks Opie, that's what I was looking for. I'll order the brackets and the 2 extra bolts. If I understand correctly, the two extra bolts are for bolting the two hitch mounting "straps" that came with the hitch to the hitch mounting "brackets" that you provided the P/Ns for above?

Extra bolts go in the "Bolt #2" position in my picture.

Also, notice how much more shank the Subaru OEM receiver bar has (to the left of the receiver pin hole), whereas the DT one does not have as much, but if you lined up the pin holes, the DT hitch ball would be slightly more out from the bumper. At least that's the way it looks in the pictures.

That is correct, I have thought about drilling a new hole that would match up with the OEM drawbar hole...but I've been lazy. Both bars are the same length from end to hitchball.

I know that the Subaru bar is solid. Is the Draw Tite one a solid bar too?

The Draw-Tite is a solid bar.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I went to a Subaru dealership and took a picture of the factory bracket on an '06 Outback. Note that on the Outback, there is a third bolt that attaches to the rear of the frame. As far as I can tell, the Legacy does not have that threaded hole, which is why Opie said you only need one more bolt (for a total of two) per bracket. Still, I think I will buy and install the brackets to add some additional strength.

OutbackBracket.JPG.2ad06176cefc343b1fd37061bcd25e5a.JPG

• 6 months later...

Archived