LegacyGT.com

I need Help!!!!!

BigT

Ok, so a while back I posted saying that I had some caulk from the headlight clearing stuck on the headlights. No big deal, but some small parts that you wouldn't notice unless you were looking for them. So I ordered my eyelids from Avoturboworld and now that the headlights are cleared I figured lets get these babies on. So first problem is they don't fit exactly right. As a result the 3m tape isn't keeping them on. So I remember how well the caulk worked on the clearing so I put it on to try to keep the headlights in place. Not only do they not get on, but now I have caulk all over my headlights. So I take the advice of others. I'm using boiling water, and a sponge and a microfiber rag. Now there is a large cloud on my headlight, with a greenish center to boot!!! It is VERY noticeable. I will have pictures up when I'm done fighting with my Treo and Laptop. I am desperate at this point. Thinking of going to a body shop to get this straightened out. Does anybody have any ideas before I blow a couple of hundred to get my car back to the way its supposed to be? I am desperate!!!

The BEST stuff to take the headlight sealant off, is "Goo Gone" its citrus based, and will not hurt your plastic.

I've cleared 8 sets of headlights in the past few months for people, and when I get the caulk on the headlight, I use that and it comes of FAST and EASY!!

You should NOT have boiler it, etc... :(

If the plastic isn't damaged (melted/distorted) then try the Goo Gone. Almost all grocery stores carry it! (Vons, etc)

"Insert Signature Here"

denatured alcohol.

you may be able to buy it in a pint or quart at a paint or hardware store.

little bit goes a long way. plus no sanding. just use a rag .

let the rag air dry, if you wad it up it could combust.

The BEST stuff to take the headlight sealant off, is "Goo Gone" its citrus based, and will not hurt your plastic.

I've cleared 8 sets of headlights in the past few months for people, and when I get the caulk on the headlight, I use that and it comes of FAST and EASY!!

If the plastic isn't damaged (melted/distorted) then try the Goo Gone. Almost all grocery stores carry it! (Vons, etc)

I'll emphasize again... although others are suggesting other methods, the Goo Gone WILL WORK to get the sticky crap off...

The caulk you used, is it rock-hard when it dries, or is it slightly plyable? If it's the same gaket sealant used in the headlights, then you may want to heat it up a "tiny" bit before trying to use the goo-gone on it.

Oven to 200 degrees, and bake em' for 5-10 minutes, then take the Goo Gone to the crap you want removed from the lens. I promise it will work, and wont damage anything.

If it's a "hard setting" type epoxy, or caulk, you may be in a little trouble, and need to get it sanded off, then the headlight re-buffed...

"Insert Signature Here"

http://legacygt.com/forums/exterior-aesthetic/38340-headlight-issues.html

^ Yikes! People said hot, but definitely nowhere did anyone mention "boiling!" :eek:

I'm almost wondering, if by your description, Big T, that you've somehow managed to physically distort the plastic lens by using boiling water.....thus giving the "green"-appearing center to the lens.

If that's the case, you might truly need a replacement lens, if not complete housing. :(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Recommend the Goo Gone too. There may still be a haze when you're done getting the layers off. If you can find some "Brasso" - we in the military use it to polish belt buckels and other brass stuff - Use it as a high grade, low particulate polish and polish your lenses. Works really great on polycarbonate headlight lenses that are clouded or lackluster appearance-wise. Really cleans them up nicely. Wipe off the dry residue and you're good to go.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Recommend the Goo Gone too. There may still be a haze when you're done getting the layers off. If you can find some "Brasso" - we in the military use it to polish belt buckels and other brass stuff - Use it as a high grade, low particulate polish and polish your lenses. Works really great on polycarbonate headlight lenses that are clouded or lackluster appearance-wise. Really cleans them up nicely. Wipe off the dry residue and you're good to go.

SBT

Hmmm,,never heard of the Brasso clean on the headlights before,,,mite try it on one of my older vehicles,:)

Thanks

goo gone isnt anywhere near good for your headlights, find another way.

while goo gone does work on a lot of things, and it will achieve what you want to to witht he headlights, it will also ruin the clear lens of the headlight.

it will strip off the clear protective coating that is on the headlights, and ya you just wont like it after a few months

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

how long ago did you clear these lights? and how are they now? are they getting a peeling look on them?

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

Status report: the goo gone worked very well. All of the caulk residue is gone. I am now only left with a cloudy haze on the headlight housing. Will this brasso work for that? I hope so. Thanks again for all of your help.

-T

goo gone isnt anywhere near good for your headlights, find another way.

while goo gone does work on a lot of things, and it will achieve what you want to to witht he headlights, it will also ruin the clear lens of the headlight.

it will strip off the clear protective coating that is on the headlights, and ya you just wont like it after a few months

I'm not sure where you read that, or why you think that.

It's citrus based, and will NOT harm plastics. I've used it for years, and used it on many sets. It even states on the bottle that it will not harm ANYTHING except for silk, and a few other fabrics.

Used on the LGT, chu my pu's, a buddy back in South Carolina (2 years ago), and my old headlights... no hazing, and no problems.

"Insert Signature Here"

There's nothing that can't be fixed with plastic headlights, as long as their not melted.

They sell buffing kits, to get rid of haze, chips, etc... they work VERY well.

You actually use sand paper, and take a layer of plastic off, then re-buff the next layer, and they look brand new again. My friend with the Lexus just did this to his headlights that were totally f-ed up... and they look new again.

I wouldn't use anything on other people's headlights that would have even the slightest chance of messing them up...

"Insert Signature Here"

Status report: the goo gone worked very well. All of the caulk residue is gone. I am now only left with a cloudy haze on the headlight housing. Will this brasso work for that? I hope so. Thanks again for all of your help.

-T

Is the haze on the inside, or outside? Sounds like whatever caulk you used may have had a chemical reaction, and damaged the plastic slightly. I've seen that once before.

You may need a "buffing" kit that reconditions the plastic... it's a little work, but works wonders if you follow the instructions properly.

These kits DO actually work... but it takes a little time, and effort!

eBay Motors: CLOUDED Headlight LENS CLEANER Polish Repair Restorer (item 320007093623 end time Jul-20-06 19:10:58 PDT)

"Insert Signature Here"

If the lexan in our 4th gen headlamp units is of the same quality (or better) as the 2nd gen Legacys, then the Brasso will take the haze off AND polish the surface to a gleaming bright finish. I've used this on just about every car headlamp that I've come across that was glazing/glazed over with superior results (BMWs, LEXUS, Toyota, Nissan, etc.)

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Its on the outside. I might check to see the price of the body shop doing it, I'm getting the car detailed anyway. I'd pay a couple of extra bucks to save the time and effort. Thanks for the help though.

glad to hear you made progress. its funny how you can smash a hammer into the headlamp lens and it wont break. maybe a small scratch. put a chemical on it and you can ruin it in 1 sec.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Glad to hear that you're making good progress, Big T !

glad to hear you made progress. its funny how you can smash a hammer into the headlamp lens and it wont break. maybe a small scratch. put a chemical on it and you can ruin it in 1 sec.

^ The Crucial cerametallic coating is another great example of this. I think two different members here managed to somehow strip off that ultra-tough proprietary coating with some harsh chemicals....when it's known, for a fact, that even less-then-gentle contact with various hand-tools won't put a scratch on the finish.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived