LegacyGT.com

Up-pipe suggestions...

scoobydrew

What's the general consensus on up-pipe's, what's recommended? Heat-sheild, flex section? The Bosal seemed like the way to go but no one has it in stock. The sti is expensive. I'd like to stick with Autospeed but I'm concerned about heat. I have searched and the only thing I learned was TSi's comments that there are many up-pipe's installed w/ no flex section and no issues. :confused:
ProTUNED by RaminiSports :icon_mrgr

^ The "flex-thing" truly seems to be one of personal (or installer) preference.

:)

While it is undeniable that some here have had trouble with fitment of fixed UPs, those cases seem to be in the minority, and can probably be attributed to production variances both in their unique vehicles as well as the aftermarket pipes - in other words, a "bad combo" for that specific vehicle.

It's the same reason, for example, as why some have problems with aftermarket TMIC fitment, yet others, not.

:)

If you want a guaranty of a no-hassle fitment, then perhaps looking to flex-incorporated pieces would be more towards your liking. However, if you're willing to play the (excellent) odds, the chances of your vehicle matching properly with a fixed UP truly is very, very decent.

A heat-sheild is nice - but if the item is coated with some type of barrier, that'll more than suffice, too.

And whether or not the item incorporates a bung for the stock EGT - and whether you choose to use it - is also a personal-preference issue.

Same goes for other aspects of "performance design."

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

check nasioc. you can get an sti up used for cheap over there. Less than $100 usually
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

^ Agreed - although there's probably something to be said for retaining exhaust heat on the inside of the pipe as well, I think that the most obvious benefit is that you're going to be reducing underhood temps at a very important area: basically right above where the intake temperature sits.

Keeping IAT down is very important as it's one of the factors by which the ECU determines "how much power" you'll have available on-tap. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ Agreed - although there's probably something to be said for retaining exhaust heat on the inside of the pipe as well, I think that the most obvious benefit is that you're going to be reducing underhood temps at a very important area: basically right above where the intake temperature sits.

Keeping IAT down is very important as it's one of the factors by which the ECU determines "how much power" you'll have available on-tap. ;)

hmmm..thanks. that's why i wanted the crucial pipe. but i'm waiting for their modified design with "wiggle" room.

I just got my used 06 Sti pipe two days ago 120.00 shipped. I chose it over aftermart for three primary reasons: 1)Stock appearance/fitment 2) intergrated heat sheild. 3) OEM catless.

Although, I know the STI sheild has in the past started to rattle I chose to have additional welds put on. I think it is important to to know that the pipe has more then just sheilding there IS some sort of material between the sheilding and pipe, most likely for heat management. SOA wouldnt of added insulation and a shield unless it was nessary, being always cost minded.

Additionally, and I might be wrong, but a wider tube wouldnt be a benifit unlessthe increased diameter was continued all the way out. The biggest benifit for the up is the deletion of the CAT which reduces heat but increases flow always a good thing.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

besides reduced under the hood temps' date=' what does heat coating or wrapping of the up pipe give you? gains?[/quote']

It is suppose to reduce the heat transfer thru the pipe to allow for better velocity.

Honestly, your UP is between the turbo (giant heat source) and the Exhaust manifold (giant heat source), it's about a foot long, how much heat do you think is gonna dissipate sitting between the above and how much difference do you think it's gonna make?

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

TSi, I think you also stated (elsewhere) that heat control is also important concerning the cv boot.? Premature failure due to heat?

ProTUNED by RaminiSports :icon_mrgr

It is suppose to reduce the heat transfer thru the pipe to allow for better velocity.

Honestly, your UP is between the turbo (giant heat source) and the Exhaust manifold (giant heat source), it's about a foot long, how much heat do you think is gonna dissipate sitting between the above and how much difference do you think it's gonna make?

Maybe there is something in that area that should not be exposed to a super hot pipe? Also that foot long section heat coated, wrapped or with heat sheilds would not be radiating heat like one without. Maybe not much but something.

Maybe there is something in that area that should not be exposed to a super hot pipe? Also that foot long section heat coated' date=' wrapped or with heat sheilds would not be radiating heat like one without. Maybe not much but something.[/quote']

Yes, coating can reduce the amount of radiated heat that may/maynot affect surrounding parts (this was a big thing with carburated engines and how much heat was drawn thru the carb).

If your that concerned with under the hood temps, then don't stop with the UP. Go all out and do the turbo and first 1ft or so of the aftermarket DP. I'm gonna reserve my opinion on wrapping and coating, but if your gonna stop at the UP, it doesn't matter much.

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

I'm not 100% on the headers either. But the Turbo Dynamics blanket is def going on the turbo. Since the swap underhood temps have gone up quite a bit. I'm more concerned about EGT damage than I am losing 10% of the life of my turbo.
Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I thought I read a thread here, where someone said a turbo blanket on the stock turbo could be a bad thing. You might want to do search:)

Question: if the uppipe is changed doesn't that delete the EGT sensor or were you refering to actually temp?

Is the COBB UP worth the price, or there are cheaper and better after-mkt. alternatives?

AS for the STi UP, the only diff. between that and the stock LGT pipe is cat delete right? Diameter and flow characteristics are basically the same?

I believe so, however, it also deletes the EGT sensor bung.

I thought I read a thread here, where someone said a turbo blanket on the stock turbo could be a bad thing. You might want to do search:)

Question: if the uppipe is changed doesn't that delete the EGT sensor or were you refering to actually temp?

i don't think he's using the stock turbo...he got mucho power.

Archived