LegacyGT.com

Something I'll Never Understand...

sjmdesigns

Howdy Folks,

I just wanted to post this. Please understand it's nothing personal toward anyone who has suped up their car, the "Tuner" crowd, etc.

But, I'll never understand this. NEVER!

I have owned my '06 LGT since November of '05. The cars looks great, it's fast, nice interior, and it has probably everything I could ever need in a car. My LGT is totally stock with a few Subaru accessories added after the purchase.

However, there is one downside to having this car. The attention it gets from the "suped up" Accord, Civics, Neons, Saturn SC's, and other "tuner" cars out there.

I went to the doctors the other day. Drove from Greeneville, TN to Morristown, TN. On my way back to Greeneville, I was agressively challenged on the road by a "tuned" Honda Accord. The reason? Not sure. I was driving the speed limit, trying to get back to work. I was in a two lane road in the middle of downtown Morristown. He was in a slower lane and I came by him from the left lane. I was doing about 45 mph in a 40 mph zone. Once I passed him, he saw me, and then he agreesively tried to catch up to me. He wanted to do a little racing, and waved me on to try to get me going. I looked over at him a couple of times and waved him off saying no way. And then he just agreesively tried to get in front of me to "make a point". Wow!

This guy just weaved in and out of traffic to not only catch up to me, but decided since I didn't want to play, he's do the playing for both of us. Not once did he use his turn signals and he was very close to all the cars that he was weaving in and out of. AMAZING. All this because I happen to be in the left hand lane which was moving along a bit more than the right hand lane he was in.

I guess I just don't understand the crowd of younger folks.

Since i have gotten my LGT, I must say that I have had more than my share of "glances", "peering looks", and "attitude" from other drivers on the road. 85% of the time I am driving normal, maybe 5-10 miles over the limit. I try and stay in one lane and keep my eyes strait.

Do I stretch the cars legs? You bet. There's this great open road right down the street from where I live that goes for miles, far away from speed traps, etc. And it's a great place to open up the LGT and have some fun. Mind you, I don't beat the car, but it's fun driving it in a spirited way. And, the most important thing, I'm trying to do this "fun" without being near any other cars. I'm not trying to prove to anyone how great my car is.

"HEY LOOK AT ME, I HAVE A BETTER CAR THAN YOU!!!!".

Okay, venting over! But I'll never understand it.

But, I'll never understand this. NEVER!

Do you consider dealer installed accessories 'tuner parts'? Because, ya know, Subaru has their own division that does this....OEM integration....but better than stock.

All you need to do to understand why people mod their cars is to take a ride in a tastefully done car with some basic changes. For example - the stock LGT has rear end squat and a bit too much body roll for most enthusiasts. Solution? Swap in Japanese market Subaru parts.....Spec B Bilsteins and STi springs all around and the rear 20mm swaybar. You'd be surprised how much more competent the car is at everything with almost zero downside (except the cost).

Do you consider dealer installed accessories 'tuner parts'? Because, ya know, Subaru has their own division that does this....OEM integration....but better than stock.

All you need to do to understand why people mod their cars is to take a ride in a tastefully done car with some basic changes. For example - the stock LGT has rear end squat and a bit too much body roll for most enthusiasts. Solution? Swap in Japanese market Subaru parts.....Spec B Bilsteins and STi springs all around and the rear 20mm swaybar. You'd be surprised how much more competent the car is at everything with almost zero downside (except the cost).

I choose not to "tune" my car. Having it stock is fine by me. The car is fast, smooth and rides great for me. It has a sleek clean "nonboy-racer" look that I like.

To answer your question, I don't think adding a few accessories to my car would be considered "tuning" it. A bug/hood deflector and mud flaps are more standard accessory items than a "tuning" upgrade.

Personally, I think it's great that folks "tune" their cars. There's some very nice upgraded cars in my area that look smart and clean. However, there are more tuned cars around here that look "overblown", ugly and just downright cartoonish. However, this is just my opinion, not gospel. Everyone had different views on what looks good.

For instance, I didn't want the rear spoiler on my car. Every dealer I looked at all had that option installed on every LGT I was interested in on their lots. To me the rear spoiler dumbs the look of the car down. Other cars, it looks good, even though I dought (for the price) that having one of those dealer installed spoilers would make any difference in the performance of the car. To me, it was $300.00 of gravy money for the dealer.

So, I special ordered my car from the factory, with exactly what I wanted on the car. After the purchase, I decided that few extra accessories would be nice and ordered them as well.

Plus, if I tune my car now, I'm afraid I'll just get the unwanted attention of the other "tuners" out there. Like I said, I didn't buy the car to scream out a statement to everyone I pass by. But every now and again, there's some civic out there that see's me and sure wants me to make that statement.

:)

how does anybody know that you've got upgraded suspension on your car? :confused: Nobody but you will know. Besides....STi has a full catalog for our cars....lots of add-ons both visible and some not.

Other manufacturers offer a 'sport suspension'. Subaru does not in this market. They have other models with more sporting pieces, and most parts are interchangeable.

There's assholes and idiots in all sub-genres of autodom.

It just happens that you ran-in to one that was a "tuner" - or a rather poor excuse for one by any stretch of the word.

There's also such guys who drive muscle-cars, Euro-imports, "monster trucks," Big-Chrome, you name it.

At the same time, there are also good-guys out there, too. :)

And luckily there's more good than bad. :D I'm just very sorry that you had to run-in to the lowest-common-denominator. :(

I honestly believe, brother, that you're approaching this examination of this sorry-ass'ed piece of shit's behavior towards you in the wrong way - coming at it from the wrong end. It's not the car that makes the person. ;)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

sjm....what did you have before the LGT?

The reason I ask is some of us came from even sortier feeling cars than the LGT & are trying to get a similar feel;)

I have my share of upgrades on my car but the vast majority of them are not seen by most.

I am far from a youngster but I have yet to see a set of wheels from the factory that I really liked.....

Not adding bling to the car, just trying to enhance the "look"

Now adding Pillar guages, huge wings, big body kits that to me to is silly....

I love the "sleeper" look......

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I used to have this same problem all the time in my sedan. Always some fool in a riced out honda or something trying to race. You just gotta let em go. Now that I got the wagon, not so many challenges. Although I did mess with someone yesterday that wouldnt stop riding my bumper on the pkwy. I slowed to 50 mph & then shot up to 65 after a few mins of making the guy nuts. He didn't get closer than 3 or 4 car lengths after he saw my wagon take off like that. Guess he got the point. It's super annoying though when you get these kids in these POS cars trying to race you. I wanna take them to the track so bad just to school em a few times.
"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

I used to have this same problem all the time in my sedan. Always some fool in a riced out honda or something trying to race. You just gotta let em go. Now that I got the wagon, not so many challenges. Although I did mess with someone yesterday that wouldnt stop riding my bumper on the pkwy. I slowed to 50 mph & then shot up to 65 after a few mins of making the guy nuts. He didn't get closer than 3 or 4 car lengths after he saw my wagon take off like that. Guess he got the point. It's super annoying though when you get these kids in these POS cars trying to race you. I wanna take them to the track so bad just to school em a few times.

As kids we were all crazy. I try to stay far away from ricers or kids in general. They are feeling their oats. Thirty years ago if a guy tailgated me I would pull over and then show them what REAL tailgating was, about a quarter of an inch.

Really really STUPID

Older, wiser and miraculously still alive!:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I have had experiences with people trying to race me as well (I must add they're both young and old).

But there really aren't that many people on the road that are like this. You just gotta hope these people will learn and start to respect the other cars on the road. If they really want to race, do it in a controlled environment

I honestly believe, brother, that you're approaching this examination of this sorry-ass'ed piece of shit's behavior towards you in the wrong way - coming at it from the wrong end. It's not the car that makes the person. ;)

You're probably right. But the other day when it happened it just got to me more than other days.

I love my LGT. I like that it is Stock. I love the look. I can't believe I get to drive this car everyday. Tuned out or not.

I will admit, the "tuning" aspect has crossed my mind. But maybe that's for another day. But not now, or the near furture.

sjm....what did you have before the LGT?.

Prior the LGT I had a base 2001 Outback Wagon. When the LGT came out in '05, I said "That's the car I want". I waited a year to be able to get it (paid cash, no payments). I loved the Outback. 5 years and not a rattle. It was bit underpowered, but most of the time it was a great drive.

Before the Outback I had a'90 Prelude Si (stock, no tuning done). Loved that car, however after three years it rattled like crazy from under the dash. It was fine car and I really enjoyed it for the 10-11 years I had it.

But the Outback sold me on Subaru. My wife also has a 2001 Forester S. She loves her car as well.

All three Subarus have been relaible and just as good as Honda, Nissan, Mazda, etc.

I love the "sleeper" look......

Me too. I had a friend in it the other day. We came off an onramp and pulled into the highway and he was like.. "Whoa!!??".

He was very suprised at how it took off into traffic.

By the way, mine is a 5EAT. I know, but for a 5 EAT it's fantastic.

ahhhh....not far from Fontana, NC then? Go drive the Dragon and tell me the car is good enough stock :lol: With my minor 'mods' (mostly all factory stuff so the non-subaru person won't know), the car was much more safe and predictable. The only thing people saw was the 'Perception kayak mod' as I carved turns. :lol:

It is really just what an indiviual wants with their car. I got my boss into advertsiing on my car so that I could mod it. I think the graphics look great and wife thinks they are cute, but some people would think that I am crazy because it is the car that we drive everyday. I have redone the whole exhaust and love the sound, and have swapped out the springs which lowered it and helped the cornering a little when autocrossing. I also have guys at times want to race me but I just ignore them, and most guys are good guys that are not racing on the streets. I realize that this is not for everybody and also love the stock Legacy GT. I guess thats why we are all different:) but mine is better (Just kidding). O by the way I am 56, Dave

Archived