LegacyGT.com

Diy Fmic

UtahGT

Has anyone attempted buying a universial FMIC and tried fitment to a LGT? I've seen universial kits for around 300-400 with tubing and couplers. I think if one got the right amount of tubing and proper dimension core for clearance and such it would work. I was just wondering if anyone has attempted this yet? Any thoughts?

Has anyone attempted buying a universial FMIC and tried fitment to a LGT? I've seen universial kits for around 300-400 with tubing and couplers. I think if one got the right amount of tubing and proper dimension core for clearance and such it would work. I was just wondering if anyone has attempted this yet? Any thoughts?

If I ever did my own FMIC I would purchase a core that would fit in the right spot.... maybe 21" x 2.5 or 3" x 10"? I forget... but I have some dimensions written down. Then get endtanks with centered inlets / outlets. Then mount the IC to the front of the car and get the bumper fitting. Then get some pipes bent up for it by a local place. If I wanted... I could purchase a bunch of pre-bent pieces and cut the legs to the right lengths. then tack weld the pipes together to get the right angles. Then pull it out and complete the welding (or have a better TIG welder finish the welds for me). Who knows. But I think welded sections are better than just using a bunch of couplers. That, and couplers can get expensive. And you need lips at each coupler so they don't fly off. So welds are better by far.

I made one back in 1989 for my Dodge Daytona. I used an intercooler from a Volvo 740 Turbo. Mounted the IC out front and used PVC schedule 80 piping, along with silicone hose connectors from Spearco. It worked awesome.

However, there was ALOT of room out front and around the engine compartment back then. The LGT engine bay is much tighter. It might be more of a headache than it's worth.

I guess I did not understand the post you are linking to. Are you saying that a TMIC is more efficient than a FMIC.... or that a FMIC is worthless with the stock turbo? Please explain.

I guess with space... the TMIC makes more sense. Only reason I considered a FMIC was to use a WRX style turbo. Cheaper.

over 3k posts. good work.

I did read on here that someone did an 18G + DP + Stage II, stock TMIC, stock inj., sotck fuel pump, and got 280WHP at 16.5 psi. I guess they said the stock TMIC was still cooling enough too. That is not to say a TMIC would make that setup better.... but I guess it doe show something.

Is that what you were getting at? Why get an upgraded IC with the stock turbo if the current one is doing its job?

^ I saw that and it’s ridiculous! It’s like getting a hooker and taker her to a nice restaurant for dinner to talk. It’s doable but what’s the point? With a TMIC and injectors that could have been tuned for 18+ PSI and much closer to +300hp.

Without a tune you will notice a slight improvement with a TMIC, with a tune more improvement.

About FMIC I thought about this and priced everything out and a good core alone costs over $500 after piping and welding I came to the conclusion its just not worth it.

I was wondering FMIC for future of mods in line. So evetually I will need to go that way anyways. Just trying to get there a little cheaper. But I've learned that cheaper is not always the right or even the safe way to go. So for some things I leave it for the pros and just pay what they demand, but other things I believe are over priced.

over 3k posts. good work.

I did read on here that someone did an 18G + DP + Stage II, stock TMIC, stock inj., sotck fuel pump, and got 280WHP at 16.5 psi. I guess they said the stock TMIC was still cooling enough too. That is not to say a TMIC would make that setup better.... but I guess it doe show something.

Is that what you were getting at? Why get an upgraded IC with the stock turbo if the current one is doing its job?

(Thanks)

*shrug* If you have a really good intercooler you can run the turbo hotter. It just seems strange to me to try and engineer your own IC when getting it done properly has such a significant effect. Intercooler Theory Now where are the numbers for the perrin vs the avo? :rolleyes:

About FMIC I thought about this and priced everything out and a good core alone costs over $500 after piping and welding I came to the conclusion its just not worth it.

then you should have jumped at Scans' fire sale. he sold a nice FMIC for around $800 bucks....what a steal!

then you should have jumped at Scans' fire sale. he sold a nice FMIC for around $800 bucks....what a steal!

Please don't remind me... :icon_mad:

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

^ I saw that and it’s ridiculous! It’s like getting a hooker and taker her to a nice restaurant for dinner to talk. It’s doable but what’s the point? With a TMIC and injectors that could have been tuned for 18+ PSI and much closer to +300hp.

Without a tune you will notice a slight improvement with a TMIC, with a tune more improvement.

:lol: good analogy

that's true

unless you do the welding/cutting the pipes yourself

you are gonna spend more money than how much the actuall FMIC costs.

plus you have to order pipings off internet, measure the length/angle, blah blah blah

way too much work

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

So you are telling me you would spend the additional 1200 for another 20whp?! I certainly wouldn't.

Not to mention a good tuner can extract 290s out of the 18G with all the stock parts still on. I believe someone already did it.

Oh, one more thing. You can get 300whp with stock injectors.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

^

i'd rather get some aftermarket injectors and fuel pump

just to be on safe side

i think 300whp is pushing it on stock injectors and fuel pump..

btw, $1200 for another 20whp on STOCK TURBO

if you plan to upgrade to bigger turbo

expect a lot more gains

plus our stock tmic is total garbage...

Perrin BIG maf intake

Perrin Turbo Inlet

HKS SSQV BOV

Megan Racing header with UP (ceramic coated)

HKS DP (WRX)

DMH E-cutout

Custom 3" catback

UTEC

You have I have been through this...Water injection + TMIC > FMIC :lol:

So you are telling me you would spend the additional 1200 for another 20whp?! I certainly wouldn't.

Not to mention a good tuner can extract 290s out of the 18G with all the stock parts still on. I believe someone already did it.

Oh, one more thing. You can get 300whp with stock injectors.

Ok

^

i'd rather get some aftermarket injectors and fuel pump

just to be on safe side

i think 300whp is pushing it on stock injectors and fuel pump..

STi people run stock injectors on 300whp all day long.. day in day out.

Mine had 290whp. Ran it that way for 25,000 miles.

While quality may be suspect, FMIC's with piping for Subaru's can be had on ebay for under $300.00.

eBay Motors: 02-06 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Turbo Intercooler Kit+Pipe (item 320004662492 end time Jul-12-06 12:33:54 PDT)

I heard a vendor say that going from that to identical name brand IC they got 20-30whp.

Anyways, it's built wrong, like most FMIC's I've seen for subaru's. The end tanks should be on the longest side not the shortest, the last 1/2 of the IC probably only does 1/4 of the work.... like WRX TMIC's.

The FMIC that I have sort of been working on has $250 worth of mandrel bends. I got the core for free from Megan Racing, but I think retail is about $200. Add in about $100 for silicone couplers, elbows and t-band clamps. You will then need to get flanges cut for to hook up to the stock turbo and BPV. figure at least $50-75 for that. So that's about $600+ and you still haven't paid for any welding labor. I already have quite a few hours in it cutting (oh, forgot about consumables like abrasive cut-off wheels) fitting and cutting again. Suffice to say that if you can find a well developed FMIC kit for $1000 or less, go ahead and buy it, you really won't be able to do much better on your own.

What do you think the stock turbo could do with an FMIC with water injection or meth injection?

Not worth it IMO. Probably 265? (given that Stage 2 is around 250) The stock turbo is just to small.

+1 with Boost on this one, with FMIC going for $1400 from a vendor it’s just not worth it (from a cost perspective. If you want to learn something and have a project that’s another story but I wouldn’t do it for a cost savings). And if you are going to do it…don’t go cheap on the core!!1

Rob and I went back and forth on this for a few weeks about 4 months ago :lol:

Archived