LegacyGT.com

Rev. C JDM GT Bilsteins = 2006 USDM Spec B Bilsteins!

I can justify changing springs for a better match...but springs and dampers right off the bat...nope.

Besides, those would be used dampers.....oh no....theres no way I'd be paying for new dampers too.

Besides, I think what I'd see is incremental differences. With the springs, it'll be better.

I'm looking to spend my money on other areas first.

thanks for the info though.

FWIW, you won't be completely happy with the results. I thought it would be okay, too, but I was wrong. I have an '06 specB. IIRC, the dampers from 06-07 are identical.

That means if you put stiffer, shorter springs on a car with stock USDM specB dampers, then the suspension will be underdamped. You will be able to feel this on roads that have, say, a couple of dips in a row while going around a turn. The rear won't settle down as quickly as it should. On my car, there's an easy 1-2 extra oscillations that definitely should not be there.

What am I trying to say? Springs alone on stock dampers are a downgrade and your car will handle worse than before. Save your money and get springs + dampers at the same time.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, certainly stock USDM GT rsb has to go no matter what suspension you have. However, now on JDM SpecB Bilsteins and SpecB Pinks I think I don't need to upgrade bars further, compromising independence of the suspension. Excessive body roll is pretty much "gone" now.

EDIT: I have JDM GT rsb now.

^ Auto engineers are good at what they do.

Playing with sway bars is the best first step, IMHO. They'll not alter the suspension but they will change its personality.

My point was - based on my experience if someone wants to change dampers/springs he should start with them first, then sway bars. Of course sway bars are a popular upgrade, because of low cost, availability and ease of installation.

My point was - based on my experience if someone wants to change dampers/springs he should start with them first, then sway bars. Of course sway bars are a popular upgrade, because of low cost, availability and ease of installation.

Yes. OEM set ups are matched sets and should probably be replaced in sets as well. Sway bars can stiffen suspension feel because a certain amount of load is transfered to the opposite side bringing that strut and spring into play.

Yes. OEM set ups are matched sets and should probably be replaced in sets as well. Sway bars can stiffen suspension feel because a certain amount of load is transfered to the opposite side bringing that strut and spring into play.

... but only as it pertains to body roll. If one were to use aftermarket springs and swaybars with stock dampers, the handling would still be less than optimal. The swaybars might help a bit, but they're more of a supplement to a good matched spring & damper set.

Sway/anti-roll bars work by transfering some amount of load to the opposite side to compress the suspension thereby making the car more level. This has the effect of making the entire suspension more tight.

Like I said... but only as it pertains to body roll... Like you said. :icon_cool

Okay... no more OT. :icon_bigg

Archived