LegacyGT.com

Rev. C JDM GT Bilsteins = 2006 USDM Spec B Bilsteins!

From everything I've read here, JDM/USDM Bilstein + Pinks + JDM 20mm RSB on an LGT Wagon = ride/handling goodness. Any dissenting views?

SBT

I believe redline76 ran this setup and decided the car sits too low under load and now has GT Pinks in front and SpecB wagon springs in rear. All on GT Bilsteins. I read somewhere that spring rates for SpecB springs and GT Pinks are about the same, so probably they match well.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I relooked at Redline75's posts but could find only good things to say about the Spec B with Pinks and nothing about lowered rear. Maybe I've missed one of his other posts. I do believe there was an issue with stock LGT tophats and the Spec B struts which caused the front to set higher than the rears, but with a full-up set of Spec B struts with Spec B tophats, this is not an issue.

SBT (hoping I have that right because that's my suspension plan at this point)...

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Here is link to the post he talks about it: http://legacygt.com/forums/604271-post5.html. Check the thread for car pictures. I like the even wheel gap both front and rear.

The thing is that Bilstein tophats are higher - hence front springs shorter. The front wheel gap is bigger in front than in rear with both USDM stock suspensiona and JDM stock suspension. It's just get pronounced with Pinks on Bilsteins because they drop the car even, although it does not look like. On USDM struts/shocks Pinks make the car look even, although in fact it isn't. Oh, I hope that it makes sense...

But was there letterless revision? I.e. BP5 before BP5A? There was pre-Rev. A SpecB suspension (at least to the info at this board). Was there a revision mid-year or something?

Actually, when BL/BP were released in Japan, was it 2003?

http://legacygt.com/forums/turbo-powertrains-2-0gt/7871-legacy-part-numbers.html?highlight=part+numbers

AFAIK, the letter tells the production year of the car. e.g. BP5C = third year (Or year 2. In Japan they start from 0..). I dunno what it means when we are talking about parts.

According to Wiki:

World market release schedule

Models have typically been released into Japan and selected World markets such as New Zealand and Chile in advance of the Continental European and North American markets, perhaps because all three are right-hand drive markets.

• Generation I: 1989–1992
  • Generation II: 1993–1997
  • Generation III: 1998–2003
  • Generation IV: 2003–present

The first generation Legacy was also sold in Japan by Isuzu as the Aska CX, from 1990 to 1994.

[edit]

North American market release schedule

North America usually releases its models two years after Japan does, due to the fact that all Legacies for the North American market are built at Subaru of Indiana located in Lafayette, Indiana.

• Generation I: 1990–1994
  • Generation II: 1995–1999
  • Generation III: 2000–2004
  • Generation IV: 2005–present

This Space For Rent

AFAIK, the letter tells the production year of the car. e.g. BP5C = third year (Or year 2. In Japan they start from 0..). I dunno what it means when we are talking about parts.

Well it means that the part comes from that particular revision.

Still, given that current gen Legacy started in 2003, there are not enough years for 5 revisions (-/A/B/C/D). I guess in Japan the revisions are made more often than yearly, hence the naming scheme instead of model years. I like it - more flexibility, etc. The whole model year scheme in the U.S. is just misleading marketing plot. Effect is that in extreme cases you have one MY spanning 1.5 calendar year.

Well it means that the part comes from that particular revision.

Still, given that current gen Legacy started in 2003, there are not enough years for 5 revisions (-/A/B/C/D). I guess in Japan the revisions are made more often than yearly, hence the naming scheme instead of model years. I like it - more flexibility, etc. The whole model year scheme in the U.S. is just misleading marketing plot. Effect is that in extreme cases you have one MY spanning 1.5 calendar year.

Correction: Current JDM BL/BP model production started with MY 2004 (U.S. Gregorian Calendar). Accordingly, that makes the 2008's being brought to market in Japan right now the last of the BL/BP models that will be made in Japan. Starting with 2004, that makes the current JDM MY 2008 the Rev "D". Like this:

2004 (Heisei 16th) - Rev 0 (BL0/BP0 -1st year production sold in 2003)

2005 (Heisei 17th) - Rev A (BLA/BPA - 2nd year production sold in 2004)

2006 (Heisei 18th) - Rev B (BLB/BPB - 3rd year production sold in 2005)

2007 (Heisei 19th) - Rev C (BLC/BPC - 4th year production sold in 2006)

2008 (Heisei 20th) - Rev D (BLD/BPD - 5th and final year of JDM BL/BP production (following traditional Subaru model year roll-out) sold in 2007

Heisei = Current Japanese Emperor era which started with Emperor Akihito's succession to the throne after his father Hirohito's death in 1989. Therefore, Western era Gregorian Calendar 2006 = Heisei 18th.

Look for the new/improved Legacy chassis (perhaps BM/BQ) as a JDM 2009 (Heisei 21st) BM0/BQ0 (Rev 0) sold in 2008

Conversely, USDM MY BL/BP production is:

2005 - 1st year production sold in 2004

2006 - 2nd year production sold in 2005

2007 - 3rd year production sold in 2006

2008 - 4th year production sold in 2007

2009 - 5th and final year of USDM BL/BP production (following traditional Subaru model year roll-out) sold in 2008

We will see the new BL/BP replacement chassis here in the U.S. as a USDM 2010 model sold in 2009

Similar to Legacy:

1st Gen - BC/BF JDM 1989-1993 USDM 1990-1994

2nd Gen - BD/BG JDM 1994-1998 USDM 1995-1999

3rd Gen - BE/BH JDM 1999-2003 USDM 2000-2004

Hope that clears it up.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 months later...

OFFCIALLY CONFIRMED

Yes, USDM SpecB dampers = JDM GT (Rev. C) dampers. I contacted JapanParts and got them to verify the part numbers. Here is the info:

20310AG400 - front right strut JDM BP/BL 2.0GT / 3.0R

20310AG410 - front left strut JDM BP/BL 2.0GT / 3.0R

20365AG260 - rear shock (same left & right) JDM BP/BL 2.0GT / 3.0R

20310AG420 - front right strut JDM BP/BL 2.0GT spec B / 3.0R spec B

20310AG430 - front left strut JDM BP/BL 2.0GT spec B / 3.0R spec B

20365AG270 - rear shock (same left & right) JDM BP/BL 2.0GT spec B / 3.0R spec B

So, yeah, it's true SOA decided that real Spec. B dampers are too harsh for US market. They have a point, because right now I am on JDM SpecB Rev.B dampers and pinks and the ride is pretty stiff.

OFFCIALLY CONFIRMED

Yes, USDM SpecB dampers = JDM GT (Rev. C) dampers. I contacted JapanParts and got them to verify the part numbers. Here is the info:

20310AG400 - front right strut JDM BP/BL 2.0GT / 3.0R

20310AG410 - front left strut JDM BP/BL 2.0GT / 3.0R

20365AG260 - rear shock (same left & right) JDM BP/BL 2.0GT / 3.0R

20310AG420 - front right strut JDM BP/BL 2.0GT spec B / 3.0R spec B

20310AG430 - front left strut JDM BP/BL 2.0GT spec B / 3.0R spec B

20365AG270 - rear shock (same left & right) JDM BP/BL 2.0GT spec B / 3.0R spec B

So, yeah, it's true SOA decided that real Spec. B dampers are too harsh for US market. They have a point, because right now I am on JDM SpecB Rev.B dampers and pinks and the ride is pretty stiff.

so in response to unclemat and subietonic's posts, having an 07 B, I'm wondering where the struts I have line up in this list.

Wasn't word that the US 06 B is JDM revision C and that the 07 has a slightly stiffer version...but perhaps not as stiff as rev.B? Just asking...not trying to start something.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Post the part number from your 07 USDM SpecB cars, we'll find out! Just get under the car with a flashlight, you should be able to read them. Or they are easily visible when you remove the wheels (which you should swap anyway for winter :lol:).

(which you should swap anyway for winter :lol:).

As much fun as winter will be with Nokians...I'm trying to hold off just a touch longer :lol:

Anyone one of (the rest of) us 07 B owners record that stuff while they had rims off?

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

hmmm, interesting. Same dampers. I wonder how the springs compare against 06 B and JDM.

No matter...got pinks on the way.

You'll want new dampers, too... no doubt.

why? I have 900 miles on the ones I have on my 07 B. :icon_conf

You don't know how REAL SpecB dampers feel like! :lol:

Crimey...I've read how "REAL" specB dampers feel like....no thanks...not in New England, thank you very much.

I'll take the "JDM GT" Bilsteins on my 07 B, with JDM Pinks and be happy.

You would be surprised. Most members have the original and Rev. A versions of SpecB dampers. I have Rev.B set and while cerainly much "harsher" than the JDM GT version, I find them a great balance of sportiness and comfort. It was bad on concrete-like RE070 but now on GY F1s the setup feels perfect.

Of course this is all subjective.

You would be surprised. Most members have the original and Rev. A versions of SpecB dampers. I have Rev.B set and while cerainly much "harsher" than the JDM GT version, I find them a great balance of sportiness and comfort. It was bad on concrete-like RE070 but now on GY F1s the setup feels perfect.

Of course this is all subjective.

I can justify changing springs for a better match...but springs and dampers right off the bat...nope.

Besides, those would be used dampers.....oh no....theres no way I'd be paying for new dampers too.

Besides, I think what I'd see is incremental differences. With the springs, it'll be better.

I'm looking to spend my money on other areas first.

thanks for the info though.

It's been suggested that the USDM Spec B Bilsteins can be had for $1100 (still trying to find a source at that price - suggestions?) and top hats for $100.

My question is springs with this setup.

How many levels of STi Pinks are there? Is there a GT Pink spring rate and a Spec B Pink spring rate?

I've read the springs are different on the JDM GT setup vs the USDM Spec B. How are they different? Simply spring rate or is it a difference in how they're wound (progressive vs linear)?

For Pinks check parts number thread in turbo sectoin. Rates are said to be the same, just different lengths.

If you're asking about stock JDM GT springs. Yes they are different (at least on a wagon) than 2006 USDM SpecB. How different noone knows. Only front is progressive (like all stock LGT springs, I believe). Don't know about 2007 USDM SpecB.

I've pulled these numbers from the turbo thread for a manual wagon:

STi Sport Springs - Front (BL=Sedan/BP=Wagon):

- BP GT Manual, GT-B Manual/Auto - ST2033021010

STi Sport Springs - Rear (BL=Sedan/BP=Wagon):

- BP GT Auto/Manual - ST2038021010

I'm assuming the Pink STi Sport Spring GT's are more aggressive than JDM GT takeoffs and the GT-B's are even higher rate?

Can anyone compare or contrast the JDM GT takeoff springs vs the Pink STi Sport Spring GT's.

- sorry for highjacking the tread...

Archived