LegacyGT.com

Cruise Control Failing

GoSix

Well I have contacted SOA and they have asked me to take my car back to the dealer regarding this problem. I told them I knew of a few other people haveing a similar problem. I was basicallly told that they couldnt possibly be related especially if one of those cars was in Canada. Apparently, :=) SOA has nothing in common with SOCanada? Oh well... SO I'm going in at 9am and a tech is going to get in with me and we are going for a drive. I hope they can finally see that I'm not somehow imagining this and I'm not doing anything to cause the cruise to disengage. I have been watching it closely especially in my evening commutes home from work. It always happens around 8 minutes into the commute. I drive about 1/2 of a mile and get onto the freeway with cruise set at ~75MPH. This evening actually, the cruise disengaged at exactly 7 minutes into the trip. It happened at 8 minutes and 10 minutes respectively on Monday and Tuesday of this week. Anyway, I'll report back tomorrow with an update. Cheers

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I took my car into the dealer today. A tech and I took the car onto the highway and set the cruise at about 75MPH. About 4 minutes later the cruise begins to continously disengage. We take the car back over the dealer and I leave it there for them to look at. They couldnt figure out what was wrong and actually ended up contacting SOA techline to figure it out. Apparently there is a problem with a "switch". I asked what switch and they stated that they didnt know which one. Apparently this problem is happening with 5MT's all over the country. They said the problem was producing codes but if you turned the car off the codes would disappear. He said the code was one that they had never seen before and that it could only be read with the car running, further he state that they could find no record of what the code means in the their system. They had to call SOA to find out what the code was for and that was when they found out the problem was widespread. They have ordered a part and asked me to bring my car back when it arrives. They said they will need my car all day to perform testing on this part. I will continue to keep updating here. Cheers Joe

Wow! I'm glad SOA is aware of this. Now if they could/would do the same thing for the stutter, many would find some relief there too. Keep us posted on how this all turns out. Haven't had a chance to run a long-drive on cruise so not sure it affects mine. SBT
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The cruise control problem appears to be fixed!!!! I'm pretty stoked about that b/c the whole cruise going in out thing was killing me.... I commute on the freeway at around 75 mph 30 minutes each way to work everday. They replaced the neutral lockout switch. And, from what I can tell this appears to have fixed the problem. Cheers, A Happy Sue B Owner

• 2 months later...
Well I had the switches replaced and the problem is still there. SOCanda is thinking of replacing the cruise control module. My dealer has 2 other Legacy's that he's trying to fix. I'll keep you guys posted.

Hmmmm interesting. Please do keep us posted. I'm approaching the ending of my warranty very quickly. A few weeks after that switch was replaced I was hit by an 18 wheeler, so I havent had my car for over a month and a half. But since I already have 22K miles and drive around 4K a month I need to keep a close eye on this.

Turns out the dealer only replaced the clutch and brake switch. I'm going in next week to have the neutral switch done. This problem is so bad now that after about 1/2 hr of driving the cruise will not set at all. I'll keep you posted.

• 1 month later...
Well it seems this problem may be back for me as well.... My car spent 2 months in the body shop and I just got it back a few weeks ago. When I take drives longer than 30 minutes I'm starting to see this problem AGAIN! UGHH! At first I thought it was me doing something to disengage the cruise but now I'm very confident I'm experienceing the same problems as before. As I recall from the first time this happened it starts out happening very infrequently on drives longer than say 30 minutes it might 2 or 3 times. After a while it started happening on my work commute which ~20 mins during which it would happen 10 times which drives me nutz. Anyone else ever find resolution with this issue? Cheers

This very same problem showed up in my 2005 OB 2.5i (also 5MT) at around 8,000 miles. I took it to the dealer just last week for its 15,000-mile service and mentioned the problem. Three hours later the manager said that SOA advised them to re-flash the ECM. Next week I'll drop off the car and let them do their thing. I'll let you know what happens. Dave Riesz

Nothing here with check engine light... But I was at the dealer yesterday and they informed me that they did something to the brake switch... I have to find out exactly what but so far no problems with the cruise since then.

• 3 weeks later...
Finally, an update. The ECM repair was completed two weeks ago and, so far, the cruise control seemst to be working properly, once again. The invocie reads: CUSTOMER STATES CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON REMOVE E.C.M. & SEND OUT TO S.O.A. FOR REPROGRAMMING AS PER TECH. LINE ENGINE CONTROL UNIT OUT OF CALIBRATION SEND OUT TO S.O.A. AS PER TECH. LINE REMOVED & REINSTALLED RECALIBRATED ENGINE CONTROL UNIT To be clear, the CEL was never on. I'm not sure why they entered that. Page CC-10 of the service manual states that the CC cancel function will be activated if one of the following happens: - Abnormal engine acceleration is detected. - The vehicle speed has dropped below the lower control limit during cruise control driving. - The vehicle has been running at speed higher than the set speed for an abnormally long time during cruise controlled driving. - The set speed became impossible to be maintained for some reason (steep upgrade, hand brake operation, abnormal engine power drop, etc.). All of these conditions, I suppose, could be falsely "detected" by a miscalibrated ECM. I'm still worried that it will again go out of calibration, but for now, everything's peachy. Dave Riesz

Has anyone else experienced a complete loss of throttle control when the cruise goes off by itself? This happened to me the only time my CC disengaged itself (haven't used it since). I stamped the gas pedal to the floor several times and got nothing but a mild shudder as it just decelerated on the interstate. I didn't regain power until downshifting into fourth, but by then I had my hazard lights on and was pulling over to the side. Kinda freaky...

• 4 weeks later...
Several of the original posters in this thread have had the same problem. I've not had this problem yet but am watching to see if it happens. SBT

Ok I ll start off by saying this is a rant... Alright so the odometer is now slightly over 30K and this problem is as bad as it ever was.... Took the car in today to have the hub replaced (of course thats an unrelated but nonetheless disconcerting problem) and asked them to have a look at the cruise. After several hrs I call them, and they say they don't know whats happening with the cruise, but that they have 3 techs working on my car. So finally they call me and tell me that they have good news and bad new. Good news is they know what the problem is...the ECM. Bad new is that it needs flashed and they have to send it off to SOA to have it done. So I'm stuck with a freaking Kia MINIVAN for the next 3 days. I called SOA to vent and they acted like they could care less. Maybe I'm just blowing it out of proportion but at this point I'm really disappointed with this car. Here is what has taken place so far: (1) 6K Miles Power Steering pump replaced -3 total dealer visits (2) Cruise Control Issues Part 1-6 visits before it was "fixed" (3) Airbag issues -3 visits with last visit having to leave my car there for a week-- airbag switch replaced (4) Cruise Control Issues part 2 - 2 visits before its "fixed" (5) Bad Wheel bearing -2 visits so far (6) Cruise Control Issues Part 3 -3 visits so far and they are now keeping my car for 3 days while I get the pleasure of tooling around in a freaking kia minivan Hopefully I dont sound too cynical but this is getting to me.} End Rant

Brother, I feel your pain. Not wanting to take this OT at all but I am wondering whether the ECU reflash for the engine stuttering also includes a "fix" for the cruise control issue? I've never had any problems with my cruise control but I understand it can be heat related and/or ECU related so hopefully SOA included any current ECU "updates" into the ECU reflash. SBT

*Update* ECU has been flashed and problem appears to be gone....However, the fixes in the past also always started out in the beginning as appearing to have fixed the problem, only to have it come back in a thousand or so miles after the "fix".

I wanted to go ahead and post some of the details from the invoice / work order from the repair. Perhaps these codes will be useful to others in their efforts to resolve this: "CUSTOMER REQUEST(S) CRUISE CONTROL BE CHECKED NOT WORKING PROPERLY KICK OFF. TESTED AND CHECKED HAS CODE 31ABNORMAL ENGINE SPEED. HAS SAME CODE AS OR RO 5527# WHEN TECH CALLED AND TALKED TO TECH REP ANTHONY HE ADVISED TO REPLACE NEUTRAL SWITCH. SWITCH WAS REPLACED. CUSTOMER STILL HAVING PROBLEMS CALLED TECH LINE SPOKE TO NORM ADVISED HIM OF WHAT HAD BEEN DONE HE SUGGESTED WE REMOVE ECU AND SHIP TO HIM FOR REPROGRAMMING. REMOVED ECU AND SHIPPED ACCORDING TO DIRECTIONS. RECEIVED ECU BACK AND RESINSTALLED CUSTOMER CAR WORKING PROPERLY AT THIS TIME."

Archived