LegacyGT.com

ecu flash limits.

after talking with a friend, he told me that the subie has a limit to how many times the ecu can be reflashed. whats happens if you go over, and why is this. if this is old news, flame away. just a subie newbie trying to figure some stuff out.

Someone in the last post on this topic who was knowledgeable in eproms suggested that the 100 limit was laughably low with today's chips.

It is. Generally speaking the limit should be more around 10k-100k times.

Could anyone with a computer background give some knowledge on the reflash issue vs. "learning" behavior? I had my car reflashed about 2 months ago to the latest update and the driveabilty was excellent, smooth, no studder. After about 750 miles I noticed it creeping back in and now after 1500, it is back to its' normal studdering self.

I had another post about going into the dealer every 1500 miles for a quick reflash to remove the studder. The dealer is telling me that once you get updated then you can't reflash again to get rid of the BAD "learning" behavior.

Why does the ECU want to learn this bad behavior and make our cars drive like crap? Can this portion of the ECU be turned off?

For people that have pushed this issue higher up the flagpole with regional reps or Subaru of Am, what has your experience been? Tired of hearing that this is a characteristic of the car. If it is, then how come it goes away for a while after you reflash????????

^ Actually, The Don, an affected ECU "re-acquiring/re-l;earning" the "stutter/studder" is a very well known phenomenon that has continued to plague many of our members.

Have a search thorugh the old threads, and you'll see this to be true of both SoA-mandated, dealer-performed ECU reflashes as well as, albeit to a lesser extent, users of aftermarket reflashes performed through either off-the-shelf or semi-custom AccessPORT maps, and is even evident, at times, after professional/custom tunes through either AccessPORT or ECUTek.

Cobb's latest map revisions reportedly incorporates input from Jon/TDC Tuning and seems, so far, to have worked some good magic with this recurrence of stutter/studder (i.e. eliminating or greatly reducing it), but whether or not this fix will last....that, unfortunately, remains to be seen as owners log more time and more miles on said reflashes.

Now, QTwo -

As to why a subset of affected ECUs seem to re-learn/re-acquire the stutter/studder? I don't think that, at this point, anyone has offered a solid reason.

Aside from certain tuners having had success in addressing this issue - either permanently or temporarily, and to varying degrees of success - I have yet to see anyone on the "hobbyist" level provide a 100% for-certain, sure-bang explaination of the issue, what causes it, and its potential solutions.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

TSI+WRX - I would note that with now over 750 miles on the latest revisions of the Cobb maps with TDC input, the stutter is again creeping back into the map on my car. It's better than it was, but I'm disappointed to see again that it has returned. As a fresh map (V1.16) it was butter smooth, but now there are few lumps again. I'm just happy to see so many improvements made though. I would be curious to drive a stocker again just for comparison anymore. I wonder how much of my perception of it getting smoother could be due to Hawthorn Effect.

^ Noted, brother Brady! Thanks for your candid report!

We'll see how others are faring.....

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Running TDC Stage 1 and I thought it was gone until one day while in Cruise at 55 mph, creeping up a small hill (5th gear), I felt it. I have not been able to recreate since. So, for the most part it's gone. I'm a 05 OBXT-5EAT.

so basically, the stock maps are for people who have hiccups, and the ap maps are for power gains. so the only reason to go back to the stock reflash is for dealer warrenty service or to fix a ecu problem?

i did read the cobb faq page, thanks for posting it, its in the favorites now.

im not new to turbo's, just the subie ecu. im a nissan guy and we use JWT. plug and play, without the ability to change programs without a new eprom chip.

go easy on the newbie.:icon_wink

whats the deal with Custom tuned ECUtek ?

so basically, the stock maps are for people who have hiccups, and the ap maps are for power gains.

^ Not necessarily - some have had great results with either off-the-shelf or custom maps eliminating their stutter/studder.

It's just that this isn't a 100% "cure," that's all.

whats the deal with Custom tuned ECUtek ?

ECUTek, currently, offers no end-user "interface" (yes, there is a display available, but it's basically just that, a display) - as such, it is, by definition, a custom or semi-custom tune. ;)

I checked this with my "Subie Techy" friend....works for Subaru and is the local rally nut....he says that you get 99 reflashes:) then a new ECU:( ....I guess that is a total of 100.....count the stock set-up as #1.

I also spoke to a Subie GURU in the area who claims there is a way to reset it back to "Zero"....start your 99 all over again....Anyone else heard this??

?What would be the point of needing more than 99 reflashes? I just don't get it and I guess if someone is that "hardcore" that they need to reflash their base map every track day, then maybe the can afford to get a new ECU before they get a new car?:confused:
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Archived