LegacyGT.com

2006 Saturn Ion

One of my relatives purchased a 2006 Saturn Ion since he gets a huge discount through the company he works for. It's actually pretty nice for the price and it has some features that I wish our cars had:

Light-weight dent-resistant body panels

Electric power steering

Battery located in the trunk for better weight distribution

I was really impressed with a Saturn having electric power steering.. I imagine it weighs less and takes away less power from the engine since it is not driven by a belt.

I was shocked, no pun intended, to find out about the battery being located in the trunk. This would be a good thing for our Subarus since it would free up space under the hood and reduce weight in the front.

Dent resistant doors are cool unless you like to park them near forest fires :)

True, but believe me that unbolting and replaceing those plastic body panels would take about 15 minutes per panel, even in the state they are in in that picture.

<---believer in "old-school" Saturn S-series cars.

Otherwise, I have no idea why manufatures don't place every battery in every car in the "trunk" area of the car. I can't really think of any good reason to mount the battery right next to the motor. Batteries are very heavy (in reletive terms), very sensitive to temp changes, they don't really like the elements, and no longer need to be checked/changed out very often any more.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

Most manufacturers don't use completely sealed batteries, and there is a possibility they could leak acid and fumes into the passenger compartment if they were to fail. That is probably the biggest issue.

Also that thing becomes a projectile in the passenger compartment during an accident, if it comes loose.

Also it is harder to jump start a car, or service the battery if it isn't under the hood. Some people wouldn't know where else to look.

That said, it probably could be done properly, and it is a good question why manufacturer's don't.

Most manufacturers don't use completely sealed batteries, and there is a possibility they could leak acid and fumes into the passenger compartment if they were to fail. That is probably the biggest issue.

There are plenty of good sealed batteries on the market. Otherwise, this is why a lot of those in the trunk get put in thier own fairly sealed compartments.

Also that thing becomes a projectile in the passenger compartment during an accident, if it comes loose.

...then don't let it come loose, the same arguement is why spare tires have thier own compartments with easy bolt down wing nuts.

Also it is harder to jump start a car, or service the battery if it isn't under the hood. Some people wouldn't know where else to look.

While the Saturn Ions battery is in the trunk it has clearly marked jumper points under the hood. Otherwise, read the manual.

That said, it probably could be done properly, and it is a good question why manufacturer's don't.

'cause I'm not in charge.

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

Speaking of the ION, my roommate bought the Redline, Super charged in line 4. I took it for a drive but couldn't push it, so we're waiting for the miles to break in his motor, then we're gonna take it to a local drag strip and see how it fairs with the Legacy GT. I read some things on it, and torque and HP at the wheels (FWD) are around the same as our cars, only LGTs are AWD. I'm interested to see what it can do. The 0-60 time is in the low 6s.

some caddys & olds batteries are under the back seat. dodges are in the fender well, tire & inner fender well must be removed. these are stupid places. the trunk is the best idea out there.

I agree.

I was just thinking of devil's advocate reasons for liability lawyers and other kill-joys to kybosh it... most good ideas are kyboshed for cost or liability.

Who knows, maybe they want to save money on heavy-guage cabling, and the runs are shorter under the hood, than the length of the car... I dunno...

I agree if it is done well, and correctly, it is the best place for it. Summit Racing and Jegs, and the like probably sell quite a few battery trunk boxes...

It can't be a worse idea than burying it in the lower front fender, like the Chrysler sebring/stratus twins once did...

^YES, then try telling a customer u have to charge them around a 1/2hr in labor just to change a battery!!! sometimes auto engineers dont think. but at the same time they are getting their asses handed to them to get the job done.... yesterday

Archived