LegacyGT.com

I love the GT's breaks..

B4_Maniac

[quote name='Drift Monkey']Yes, but for something in which this topic revolves around and is an integral part of, it seems funny to mispell it... :lol: Everyone mispells things, it's just the spelling nazis let you know when you do! :P grap on yuor speeling!!!111111[/quote] Indeed, like "misspell," which is a fairly common, but very funny mistake when you think about it. Most people use one "s" for misspell, which is a sin in the eyes of God and Webster's. In the International Herald Tribune, there was a brief story about a car that labelled "brakes" as "breaks." All I could do was listen for the hoofbeats of the Four Horsemen... As far as the Legacy's brakes, they are better in stock form than my WRX's brakes, which sported Subaru 4-pots, stainless lines and SuperBlue fluid. But brakes are easy to mod for feel. More aggressive pad compounds are also easy to implement. I don't think anyone needs to fret about the master cylinder. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='Drift Monkey']Yes, but for something in which this topic revolves around and is an integral part of, it seems funny to mispell it... :lol: Everyone mispells things, it's just the spelling nazis let you know when you do! :P grap on yuor speeling!!!111111[/quote] Indeed, like "misspell," which is a fairly common, but very funny mistake when you think about it. Most people use one "s" for misspell, which is a sin in the eyes of God and Webster's. In the International Herald Tribune, there was a brief story about a car that labelled "brakes" as "breaks." All I could do was listen for the hoofbeats of the Four Horsemen... As far as the Legacy's brakes, they are better in stock form than my WRX's brakes, which sported Subaru 4-pots, stainless lines and SuperBlue fluid. But brakes are easy to mod for feel. More aggressive pad compounds are also easy to implement. I don't think anyone needs to fret about the master cylinder. Kevin[/quote] I mispell misspell on the time!!11 :o

I had an accident yesterday with my LGT, 4200km on it... I was going up a hill with a blind spot on top. There was a pick-up truck stopped just at the begining of that &?%$?$#@$%# blind spot. I have to admit I was going a " bit " over the speed limit (Ah! that wonderful engine :twisted: ). Well, I did hit the breaks HARD, but successfully stopped just in time. The yellow 1984 Corvette didn't and hit me. Nobody got hurt, but my beloved LGT will need new bumper and hatch (God I love those canadian bumpers, my car is almost ok despite this hard hit). BTW, the Corvette was WAY much more damaged ...

Damn, man, I am glad you are okay. I am thankfull every day that something like that doesn't happen to me. I have been through lots of crashes..and repairs.. I hope I can actuly keep this car pristine for as long as I own it. It does suck though..

That sucks. Sorry to hear that. That truck driver is an idiot to be parking in that blind spot, it's common sense. That's just an accident waiting to happen. [quote name='B4_Maniac']Damn, man, I am glad you are okay. I am thankfull every day that something like that doesn't happen to me. I have been through lots of crashes..and repairs.. I hope I can actuly keep this car pristine for as long as I own it. It does suck though..[/quote]

That being said there is already enough stopping power to tear up the stock tires. There is enough stopping power in almost all production cars to lock up the wheels. Since this is true your braking distances for one pass are dictated SOLELY by your tires. Its fade resistance and feel that differentiates a good system from a great system. It would be REAL intresting to see how the legacy stacks up if you run 10 consecutive panic stops. from 70-0. My prediction is that the stock brakes will outshine most.

I think the whole tire argument is over-simplifying things. It would be nice to blame everything on the RE92s, but I think there's a little more to it. [quote]There is enough stopping power in almost all production cars to lock up the wheels. Since this is true your braking distances for one pass are dictated SOLELY by your tires. [/quote] This is only true for cars without ABS. ABS-equipped cars automatically and repeatedly pump the brakes to PREVENT locking up the wheels thereby taking some of the burden off the tires. If you were to put equal tires on the Legacy, STi, Evo, and G35 Coupe, I'd be willing to bet that the Legacy would post longer stopping distances. Running panic stops 10 consecutive times would probably result in the Legacy falling even further behind the pack. I've had to do a full panic stop in a (stock) Legacy and was not pleased with the results.

[quote name='palaban']I think the whole tire argument is over-simplifying things. It would be nice to blame everything on the RE92s, but I think there's a little more to it. [quote]There is enough stopping power in almost all production cars to lock up the wheels. Since this is true your braking distances for one pass are dictated SOLELY by your tires. [/quote] This is only true for cars without ABS. ABS-equipped cars automatically and repeatedly pump the brakes to PREVENT locking up the wheels thereby taking some of the burden off the tires. If you were to put equal tires on the Legacy, STi, Evo, and G35 Coupe, I'd be willing to bet that the Legacy would post longer stopping distances. Running panic stops 10 consecutive times would probably result in the Legacy falling even further behind the pack. I've had to do a full panic stop in the Legacy and was not pleased with the results.[/quote] I have to say, I can't blame everything on the RE92's anymore either. I have 5k miles on them, and I haven't changed them on purpose.. They are a improvement over the old ones, and I have learned to drive the car fast and stop well on the stockers. But, it's time to move on. I will be modding this month. B4

[quote name='palaban'] I've had to do a full panic stop in a (stock) Legacy and was not pleased with the results.[/quote] I've had the opposite experience. I had a panic stop and it nicley surprised me no end. Surprised the other driver even more. Stopped from about 80km/hr in just a few car lengths just mm's from the other car coming out of a side road and blocking my path. The only difference here is I have the RE050A's. What amazed me is the ABS didn't even kick in until the very last bit when I pushed as hard as I could on the brakes.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the performance of the brakes is quite acceptable. Until I get firmer suspension, I certainly wouldn't want induce any more dive under braking than I already have to live with. What I really can't stand is the pedal feel. There is so much dead space that I'm having a difficult time heel-toeing comfortably. I have noticed that if I pump the brakes, I get a substantially better pedal feel. Combine that with the fact that the dealership has already had to address a loose vacuum line on the brake booster makes me wonder if there isn't an issue with vacuum causing the less-than-stellar pedal feel. Of course, I came from a VR6 GTI which had the type of brakes that modulated by pedal effort, and not by pedal travel. It could just be a matter of what you get used to.

[quote name='palaban']I think the whole tire argument is over-simplifying things. It would be nice to blame everything on the RE92s, but I think there's a little more to it. This is only true for cars without ABS. ABS-equipped cars automatically and repeatedly pump the brakes to PREVENT locking up the wheels thereby taking some of the burden off the tires. If you were to put equal tires on the Legacy, STi, Evo, and G35 Coupe, I'd be willing to bet that the Legacy would post longer stopping distances. Running panic stops 10 consecutive times would probably result in the Legacy falling even further behind the pack. I've had to do a full panic stop in a (stock) Legacy and was not pleased with the results.[/QUOTE] I agree. But I may be in the miniority because I liked the stock WRX brake feel better than the LGT's. More bite. Also, if you compare stock 05 LGT 60-0 stopping distance with stock 02 WRX, the WRX bests the LGT by about 15ft. I know, I know, there are lots of reasons for this...

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

[quote name='palaban'] If you were to put equal tires on the Legacy, STi, Evo, and G35 Coupe, I'd be willing to bet that the Legacy would post longer stopping distances. Running panic stops 10 consecutive times would probably result in the Legacy falling even further behind the pack.[/QUOTE] Bigger/thicker rotors = less fade.

[quote name='palaban']I think the whole tire argument is over-simplifying things. It would be nice to blame everything on the RE92s, but I think there's a little more to it. This is only true for cars without ABS. ABS-equipped cars automatically and repeatedly pump the brakes to PREVENT locking up the wheels thereby taking some of the burden off the tires. If you were to put equal tires on the Legacy, STi, Evo, and G35 Coupe, I'd be willing to bet that the Legacy would post longer stopping distances. Running panic stops 10 consecutive times would probably result in the Legacy falling even further behind the pack. I've had to do a full panic stop in a (stock) Legacy and was not pleased with the results.[/QUOTE] Tires are a very big part of it. Better tires will delay the onset of the ABS, as better traction will delay lockup, thereby delaying the ABS. The burden is on the tires to prevent the activation of the ABS. Virtually every car on the market can lock up the tires (non-ABS) or engage the ABS. For one panic stop, the only way to decrease the stopping distance is with better tires. Now, for 10 panic stops, bigger rotors/better calipers & pads/better fluid will delay fade and the subsequent longer stopping distances. A number of years ago, my instructor at Mid-Ohio had a '95 M3 coupe, with tires (forget what they were) that were about 1/2 worn (like shaved tires). I couldn't believe the stopping power, which didn't get into the ABS for anything bt the main straight.
Ron

You are so right. I have the Potenza RE050A and my ABS have only just come on in one emergency stop. I've deliberately tried to activate them a couple of other times in the dry and the car stopped very niceley thank you without ABS coming into action. I'll try this in the wet to see. [quote name='rporter']Tires are a very big part of it. Better tires will delay the onset of the ABS, as better traction will delay lockup, thereby delaying the ABS. The burden is on the tires to prevent the activation of the ABS. Virtually every car on the market can lock up the tires (non-ABS) or engage the ABS. For one panic stop, the only way to decrease the stopping distance is with better tires. Now, for 10 panic stops, bigger rotors/better calipers & pads/better fluid will delay fade and the subsequent longer stopping distances. [/QUOTE]

I've run various open-track cars with shaved competition tires and with street tires. Street tires can actually be a lot of fun in the corners, and are better in transmitting feedback before breakaway, but really are inferior under braking. In other words, the braking power of most modern cars can overwhelm the tires. Cure...a better contact patch ratio and tire compound.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

Archived