LegacyGT.com

I love the GT's breaks..

B4_Maniac

Belive it our not..the breaks on this car are more than what I expected. I didn't think the stock stoppers would be of this caliber.. I haven't autoxed it or not..but I have driven lots of fine sports cars..and cars equipped with breaks from Brembo to Willard to Bosch..and I have to say..I like the GT's stoppers as is.. Would like equel sized rotars from front to back..but that doesn't take away from the experience. Any one esle feel the same way?

[quote name='Xaqtly']I think they lack some initial bite, you have to get into them a bit to slow the car down significantly. But I think this can be remedied by using a different pad compound.[/quote] My last car had a set of Bosch breaks and semi-raceing break pads (don't know what brand) but they bit too hard and boy was the break dust unbareble.. At first I though that bite was good..but it made every time I stepped on the breaks feel like a panic stop.. The GT's haul the car down with no fuss and no break dust. I am impressed by that. B4

My car hasn't had a "break" yet, but yes, the [b]brakes[/b] are quite nice. :P They could probably use better pads and lines/fluid, but not too bad as-is. Question B4: Why exactly would you want rotors of equal size front/rear? It seems all you would be doing is adding weight to the rear.... :?:

[quote name='Drift Monkey']My car hasn't had a "break" yet, but yes, the [b]brakes[/b] are quite nice. :P They could probably use better pads and lines/fluid, but not too bad as-is. Question B4: Why exactly would you want rotors of equal size front/rear? It seems all you would be doing is adding weight to the rear.... :?:[/quote] Monkey...I don't realy know.. I just know my last car had equel sized rotors all around.. Looked good visualy..and the car would stop beutifuly.. I didn't know if there would be a benifit or not.. :P

Yeah, the stockers are pretty good. I agree they lack some initial bite but once your on them, they sure are solid performers. Anyone notice that the GT pads generate more brake dust than any previous Subaru? I think Subaru is using a new compound. Ken

[quote name='Ken S']Yeah, the stockers are pretty good. I agree they lack some initial bite but once your on them, they sure are solid performers. Anyone notice that the GT pads generate more brake dust than any previous Subaru? I think Subaru is using a new compound. Ken[/quote] wax your wheels :)

Yeah I did notice the brake dust, there's a lot more than there ever was on my WRX. As far as equal size rotors, it's not necessary. The LGT is front heavy and braking transfers even more weight to the front. The rears just don't need rotors that big, they don't need excessive stopping power. I think I'm going to get some SS brake lines and see if that helps sharpen up the brake feel a bit.

[quote name='Deer Killer'][quote name='Ken S']Yeah, the stockers are pretty good. I agree they lack some initial bite but once your on them, they sure are solid performers. Anyone notice that the GT pads generate more brake dust than any previous Subaru? I think Subaru is using a new compound. Ken[/quote] wax your wheels :)[/quote] Already done. The brake dust comes off easily but it still accumulates on the wheels. Ken

I had the opportunity to use my breaks in an emergency stop to avoid a collision with and idiot who got in my way. I was going very fast and had not much distance. Almost hit him but the breaks (and the rest of the car) were so good it saved me. I'm very pleased. So was the other driver.

[quote name='B4_Maniac']Uhh...I disagree about the [b]break[/b] dust...pretty much dust free here..[/quote] Want me to take pictures? :D You can disagree all you want, but that won't reduce the amount of brake dust that collects on my wheels every week. Also, see below. [quote name='fan42025']I had the opportunity to use my [b]breaks[/b] in an emergency stop[/quote] Holy crap. [b]BRAKES B - R - A - K - E - S BRAKES[/b]

[quote name='Xaqtly'][quote name='B4_Maniac']Uhh...I disagree about the [b]break[/b] dust...pretty much dust free here..[/quote] Want me to take pictures? :D You can disagree all you want, but that won't reduce the amount of brake dust that collects on my wheels every week. [quote name='fan42025']I had the opportunity to use my [b]breaks[/b] in an emergency stop[/quote] Holy crap. [b]BRAKES B - R - A - K - E - S BRAKES[/b][/quote] I didn't want to have to point it out twice but I bolded my response eariler! :lol:

Sorry, yes it's brakes not breaks. But then since when was this a spelling test - the content of the message is more important in any forum? I could pick lots of mistakes throughout this and any other forum. Spelling was never super strong with me - just average or a bit above it. As for the dust on the wheels, I've had this happening a lot on the front ones only. I get oil or something mixed with it and it puts a layer of black all around the inside of the wheel and some on the outside. I have to wash it at least once a week. A friend of mine made the comment that only European cars were supposed to be prone to dusty brakes. Couldn't understand why this is so as I thought it was all to do with the pads. Obviously there are lots of different pads available and I suspect Subaru uses different ones even for the GT ending with different results.

[quote name='fan42025']Sorry, yes it's brakes not breaks. But then since when was this a spelling test - the content of the message is more important in any forum? I could pick lots of mistakes throughout this and any other forum. Spelling was never super strong with me - just average or a bit above it. As for the dust on the wheels, I've had this happening a lot on the front ones only. I get oil or something mixed with it and it puts a layer of black all around the inside of the wheel and some on the outside. I have to wash it at least once a week. A friend of mine made the comment that only European cars were supposed to be prone to dusty brakes. Couldn't understand why this is so as I thought it was all to do with the pads. Obviously there are lots of different pads available and I suspect Subaru uses different ones even for the GT ending with different results.[/quote] Yes, but for something in which this topic revolves around and is an integral part of, it seems funny to mispell it... :lol: Everyone mispells things, it's just the spelling nazis let you know when you do! :P grap on yuor speeling!!!111111

[quote name='Drift Monkey']Yes, but for something in which this topic revolves around and is an integral part of, it seems funny to mispell it... :lol: Everyone mispells things, it's just the spelling nazis let you know when you do! :P grap on yuor speeling!!!111111[/quote] Ja sir!

Cars sold in Europe typically have more "aggressive" pad compounds than what is sold in North America, in some cases, even for the same make and model of car. All disc pads are designed to grind away the surface of the rotor as the brakes are used. This helps keep rotors true thru thermal cycles, rusting while parked, etc. But, American drivers typically value long brake life and don't expect to replace rotors, at least not for the first brake job. What's different in Europe is that very little brake pulsation, caused by rotor runout, is tolerable when speeds of 200 to 250 Km/h are legal and fairly common (e.g. German Autobahns). European brakes typically produce more dust... and more iron particles from the rotors. Pads and rotors are replaced more frequently... that's the price for brakes that are stable at very high speeds. I agree with others here that the brakes on the 2005 LGT are excellent. They have more of a European feel to them than the average car sold in North America. I'm interested to see how the wear... I care about pad life, but I hate brakes that develop pulsation as they age. Time and miles will tell.

Coming from the WRX which is known for very underperforming brakes (USDM version only, JDM version had better brakes, 4 pots) The Legacy GT is a much better setup. What is really hurting the Legacy is the tires. Nothing will make a bigger improvement in braking then tires. So if you have any complaints about the braking in the Legacy the first mod you should do is tires. As for the braking performance in the legacy compared to a WRX, it is much better stock for stock. The pedal feel is much more solid and the ABS doesn't go off like crazy when just going over a bump. I also upgraded my WRX brakes to SS Lines, Fluid, new rotors (DBA 4000 series) and the legacy H6 brake upgrade in the rear (1 inch wider rotors, new caliper bracket, same wrx caliper). It was a very nice setup and braking was very good. I would actually put the legacy almost on Par with what I had in my WRX. I think with new tires on the legacy, and new pads alone it would outperform my modded WRX. Subaru did a good job upgrading the brake system, and taking into consideration consumers complaints about squishy brakes on the WRX. Lastly if you look at the camparison C&D did of the other 3 cars they reviewed with the Legacy, it performed pretty well in the braking tests. Just remember that was on stock ruber, when two other cars had summer tires. If the legacy had summer tires as well it would have surpassed all the other cars.

[quote name='kanoswrx']Coming from the WRX which is known for very underperforming brakes[/quote] Yeah, I came from a WRX too. [quote]So if you have any complaints about the braking in the Legacy the first mod you should do is tires.[/quote] Nope, I'm talking about pedal feel, the initial vagueness when you first get into the brakes. It's not immediate at all, and you have to push into them to get some response. Once you're in them they're fine, but it's sort of like using a hammer - no finesse. They have a distant and slightly mushy feel. I like my pedal feel to be much sharper than that, with some real initial bite to it. Tires don't have anything to do with it. [quote]As for the braking performance in the legacy compared to a WRX, it is much better stock for stock.[/quote] Yeah, I agree. I wasn't comparing to a WRX though. [quote]Lastly if you look at the camparison C&D did of the other 3 cars they reviewed with the Legacy, it performed pretty well in the braking tests.[/quote] Yeah, and that's fine, but the braking feel isn't what it should or could be, in my opinion. I'm hoping braided lines and different pads will make the difference.

Coming from a Grand Cherokee, which is famous for warping the rotors on one hard brake, I'd have to say these are awesome! Being a newb, I'm still trying to figure if it's better to brake, downshift, both or some of each.

Xaqtly, if you are looking for a solid pedal feel, similar to that on a STI, where the slightest touch applies massive braking power you will need a larger master cylinder. Lines and Fluid will help some, but its the way the whole brake system is setup that mainly effects brake feel. I know what your talking about when you say you have to apply it a little before it actualy does anything, its like their is a 1/2 inch of dead play in the pedal before it actually does anything. Although its better then the WRX was in this respect, I agree its still not perfect.

Archived