LegacyGT.com

Anyone here also own a Scion tC?

H2OSB

I need to know what lug nuts are required if the stock tC 17s were to be bolted onto a Legacy. YES YES, I know they're not a direct bolt on...I already have that worked out. I got a set for $100 to use for autoX wheels.

What I need to know is what brand of lug nuts to look at. Gorilla likely has what I need, but I want to be sure.

Where would this be moved to? Does this not belong in a wheels forum?

H2OSB

Oh I though it was strictly a Scion tC question, so then it would be moved over to other cars forum would have been my guess, but isnce it is that you want to bolt the wheels to the legacy, then it may not move at all.

Maybe try the stock nuts and see if they work? BTW the tC wheels are 45_ offset just so that you know.

Please take pics of the car with these wheels since I like to see what it looks like and FWIW the stock tires on those rims are the craptastic RE92's.

My friend has them on his Corolla.

X

---

Oh I though it was strictly a Scion tC question, so then it would be moved over to other cars forum would have been my guess, but isnce it is that you want to bolt the wheels to the legacy, then it may not move at all.

Maybe try the stock nuts and see if they work? BTW the tC wheels are 45_ offset just so that you know.

Please take pics of the car with these wheels since I like to see what it looks like and FWIW the stock tires on those rims are the craptastic RE92's.

My friend has them on his Corolla.

X

The stock lug nuts are 12 x 1.50, while we use 12 x 1.25. I'm certain Gorilla has what I need. I can't use the OE Subaru lug nuts because our cars have conical seats and the tC wheels have flat seats.

I knew they were ET45. The machine shop that I'm going to have open the center hole said that could also shave the mounting surface if I wanted. I'm going to run them at ET45 for a while to see how they feel. I'm only going to be charged $15 per wheel to open the center hole by 2mm.

I'm pretty thrilled to have a set of wheels (finally) for autoXing for only $160 for the set. I looked and looked and couldn't get close to that for proper Subaru wheels (in 17s).

These wheels aren't TOO heavy either at just about 20.x lbs.

I will glady take and post some pics of the car once I have them on.

H2OSB

I knew they were ET45. The machine shop that I'm going to have open the center hole said that could also shave the mounting surface if I wanted. I'm going to run them at ET45 for a while to see how they feel.

H2OSB

While they've got 'em maybe you should have the MS shave off the offset markings (if any) on the wheels:) AutoXperts correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't using a wheel with a different offset bump you up a class (or 2)?

While they've got 'em maybe you should have the MS shave off the offset markings (if any) on the wheels:) AutoXperts correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't using a wheel with a different offset bump you up a class (or 2)?

I plan to run in STU. Yes I will have disadvantages, however, my car doesn't properly fit in any one class. Offset is not an issue.

I'm doing this for fun. As I improve, I may go to another class.

BTW, the machine shop will only charge an additional $5. per wheel to take the offset to ET50

H2OSB

The other toyotas I've had use shank style lugnuts ...... does the scion as well?

I'd leave the offset at 45 if that's stock. that will already fit well and no need to shave the mounting pad if not necessary.

Just to close out this thread, I did my own research (as I'd intended...I was just hoping for confirmation of my findings). Summit racing (summitracing.com) has open ended lug nuts that fit the bill. There are a few closed ended lugs that would work, but I wanted open ended.

My biggest concern was all I could find were shank style lugs with the shank outside diameter of .685 (~11/16th) inches, while the lug holes in the wheel are .75 (3/4th) inches. This is a difference of 1/16th of an inch. However, I soon found out this is the standard difference for replacement lug nuts for Toyotas

Also, regarding shaving the mounting pad...Not a wise idea. Unless someone was able to find lug nuts with a short shank, the lug nuts would quickly bottom out if too much material was removed. Summit's lug nuts do come with a washer, which LOOKS about 1/16th of an inch thick, so added to the shank length of .55 in. there's not a lot of room to play with. By my quick and relatively crude calculations, only a fraction more than 3mm could be removed before the lug nut shank would bottom out. Too close in my book. Better to leave the wheels at ET45.

I think if one must have an offset of ET50, they would have to have conical seats cut for the lug nuts. When having the center hole opened, I will ask if conical seats are a practical option. The wheels appear to have plenty of material in this area so I don't think compromising strength is a concern. There are DOZENS of options for lug nuts with conical seats.

I plan to post a picture of my car once I have the wheels modded to fit.

H2OSB

just curious. how are you going to increase the bore on the scion wheel? chamfer it?

i went through this with my F-XT and used a set of tC wheels on it. the center bore needed to be increased... i sold the car and the wheels since, but still have a 5th wheel and tire (RE92 on it) with a hand made chamfer that was not deep enough. want that wheel? let me know.

Wow, the things found on this site...I LOVE it;

I was considering them for a cheap and creative after market(?) wheel, since most owners are ridding of them for other wheels.But didn't know the detail, just that they'd fit.

Thanks for this info/ post!!

FYI: There is a vendor on eBay selling tC wheels already rebored for Subies for about $500 with tires I think. they are selling take-offs from a dealership.

OK, so it was $800 with tires.

Here's the links & pics

http://www.importtire.com/robsimages/17scion_subaru2.jpg

eBay Motors: Subaru Legacy Impreza 17" wheels and tires, Saab 9-2x (item 140008178875 end time Jul-21-06 09:48:47 PDT)

I'll get the link and edit in a minute.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

FYI: There is a vendor on eBay selling tC wheels already rebored for Subies for about $500 with tires I think. they are selling take-offs from a dealership.

OK, so it was $800 with tires.

Here's the links & pics

http://www.importtire.com/robsimages/17scion_subaru2.jpg

eBay Motors: Subaru Legacy Impreza 17" wheels and tires, Saab 9-2x (item 140008178875 end time Jul-21-06 09:48:47 PDT)

I'll get the link and edit in a minute.

That is exactly where I got the idea. I kept scouring Ebay and other sources, trying to find a set of wheels I could use for autoX when I saw those. I wrote back and forth with that guy for a while. He's actually a pretty cool guy, and <whispering> he'll negotiate a little on the tC wheels. You must understand, he will ONLY sell tire/wheel packages. He will NOT sell you a set of wheels alone. Trust me, I tried.

Eventually, he figured out that I was gleening info from him to make my own set, and he stopped answering my questions. I can't blame him. BTW, that is his car in the pic.

However, I have everything figured out on how to use these wheels, and will tell anyone who's interested.

My trick for gettng them VERY cheap was to go to several tC forums and place a WTB ad for curbed wheels. All of my wheels are straight and true, but all have a little curbing to one degree or another. I did, though, only pay $25 per wheel. Flawless wheels can be had for not TOO much. There are a couple of ads on Ebay right now for dealer take-off wheels for only $299. However, at some point, it becomes silly when you can get wheels that were MADE for a Subaru for not much more.

I PROMISE I'll get pics so you all can see what they look like on a BL sedan, however, my wife and I just bought a house and are literally moving this coming weekend (WOOT...supposed to be a balmy 110 degree here this weekend) so getting the wheels ready is a back-burner issue.

H2OSB

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: For those of you interested, I finally got my tC wheels to the machine shop. I was wrong about the cost of having the center bore machined. I said it was going to be $60. It's in fact going to be $65 :).

Also, two of my wheels are pretty badly curbed. I have tried to replace them. I did get one replacement, which was $36 so my $101 set of wheels is now $112. I was going to replace the other and thus bid on several auctions on eBay as well as trying to find one on several Scion sites, but either the prices were too high or the owner wouldn't part with a single wheel.

One VERY cool member of LGT.com offered me a wheel he had left over for the cost of shipping, however I finally declined as I was afraid he might have removed too much material when he chamfered it to use on his car (since these are to be used for autoX, I don't want to take the chance).

I eventually gave up trying to find the second replacement and decided to have the machine shop clean up the curbing. He will make them all look the same for $65.

Thus far I have $177 in these wheels including machine work. Also, I spent $40 on a set of lug nuts so they would be bolted on safely and properly. I plan to paint them myself with Duplicolor Graphite paint. I BELIEVE I will have about $225 into them when all is said and done (including lug nuts).

I'm very excited. Pictures soon to follow.

H2OSB

I thought Scion tC wheels were 5x114.3??? not 5x100?? I guess not..

I believe all Toyota's are 5x100. I have a set of wheels left from my Celica GT-S that I always wanted to try it out on the LGT. But they are 16" and from what I have read 16" won't clear the LGT brakes... Maybe I will try them on just for fun next time I rotate tires.

UPDATE: For those of you interested, I finally got my tC wheels to the machine shop. I was wrong about the cost of having the center bore machined. I said it was going to be $60. It's in fact going to be $65 :).

Also, two of my wheels are pretty badly curbed. I have tried to replace them. I did get one replacement, which was $36 so my $101 set of wheels is now $112. I was going to replace the other and thus bid on several auctions on eBay as well as trying to find one on several Scion sites, but either the prices were too high or the owner wouldn't part with a single wheel.

One VERY cool member of LGT.com offered me a wheel he had left over for the cost of shipping, however I finally declined as I was afraid he might have removed too much material when he chamfered it to use on his car (since these are to be used for autoX, I don't want to take the chance).

I eventually gave up trying to find the second replacement and decided to have the machine shop clean up the curbing. He will make them all look the same for $65.

Thus far I have $177 in these wheels including machine work. Also, I spent $40 on a set of lug nuts so they would be bolted on safely and properly. I plan to paint them myself with Duplicolor Graphite paint. I BELIEVE I will have about $225 into them when all is said and done (including lug nuts).

I'm very excited. Pictures soon to follow.

H2OSB

Man, I can't wait for this!!! PICS PICS PICS!!!

Do you have a link to the exact lugnuts that you'll be using?

I remember when I tried to find some like the OE Toyota lugsnuts I had a hard time (this was for my wife's old Celica). And the dealership wanted $5.50 for EACH lugnut!

I believe all Toyota's are 5x100. I have a set of wheels left from my Celica GT-S that I always wanted to try it out on the LGT. But they are 16" and from what I have read 16" won't clear the LGT brakes... Maybe I will try them on just for fun next time I rotate tires.

I still don't believe that there are NO 16" wheels that will fit the LGT.

Hell, there are 15" wheels that fit over the Subaru 4Pots!

Do you have a link to the exact lugnuts that you'll be using?

I remember when I tried to find some like the OE Toyota lugsnuts I had a hard time (this was for my wife's old Celica). And the dealership wanted $5.50 for EACH lugnut!

Yes I do. These were a MAJOR pain in the butt to find.

http://www.customwheelaccessories.com/MagLugNuts.html

It's the lug in the second row, second from the left, Medium Bulge Mag with Washer, part no. 5005T. Just so you know, the company ONLY sells wholesale, so you need to befriend the parts guy from your local tire and wheel store and have him order them for you. I paid $2 per lug nut.

You cannot use any Toyota lugnut, unless you do something weird like have the thread pitch recut. As I understand it, these lug nuts are factory for a Nissan Altima with some factory optional alloy wheel, although I didn't know that until I picked them up and the tire/wheel guy told me.

Edit: After rereading your question, I see you were saying you were looking for Toyota lug nuts for a TOYOTA application.

Another thing about these specific lug nuts. I had wanted open ended lug nuts, for no other reason than thinking open ended lug nuts are "racy" looking. I asked the tire/wheel guy if the thread cap could be removed. He wasn't sure but thought they could. He was correct. I used a large punch and my vice and popped each cap off. Viola!, open ended lug nuts (I'll take pics when I photograph the wheels).

Anyway, to anyone thinking about doing what I did, I HIGHLY recommend you purchace the correct lug nuts. Don't try using just any 12M x 1.25 lug nut for your safety and the safety of anyone who might ride with you. If you use a lug nut with the wrong seat, you could lose the wheel and have or cause a serious accident. There, I'm covered if one of you tries to go his own way with this.

The machine shop said the wheels should be ready on Tues of next week. I will take pics and post them before I paint.

H2OSB

P.S. Tytek is the cool LGT.com member I mentioned in my previous update. Tytek, I'm not sure I conveyed to you how much I appreciated your offer. I know we live on opposite sides of the country from each other, but if ever I'm in a position to help you with your car, I got your back.

Archived