LegacyGT.com

Bay Area - best dealer to work with?

Kaffwynn

Posting that I got my Legacy GT Wagon from the Internet Sales Manager Larry Fung at Carlsen Subaru and he was efficient and courteous (not overly friendly like his manager). I got the Friends & Family of Subaru deal so I didn't have to negotiate on price (got 2% - $750 = $1500 below invoice). The manager guy who handled the final payment did try to sell me extended warranty ($1000), perma plate sealant ($500), and pre-paid servicing (which I did take - $900 for 3 years / 45,000 mile of service).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

You can probably get a good price at stealing creek subaru, but if youre just planning on buying a car and not the service, you can go there. But if you want the whole customer experience, Santa Cruz is the best. They take good care of you. Stealing creek will charge a grip on service parts and such. If you dont agree with me, go check out the i-club.com or nasioc.com and you will find many many people HATING on stealing creek. (I tried to get some parts there, hated the experience.)

Carlsen might be the average dealer, what I mean is good prices and good service, but maybe not the best in either category.

Fremont Subaru just opened up, but no reviews yet from what I have heard.

Got mine in Santa Cruz, good people, friendly, and excellent service. And to my knowledge, mod friendly.

I realize they have a horrible reputation. I was just putting it out there that they gave us the best price.

They know they aren't liked on the forums or in the Subaru community in general. I think they may have a new owner. He's a young guy and actually took part in our deal.

Steven.... I mean Stealing Creek was horrible. I got jerked around and had to talk to 4 people before I could see an invoice. They were trying to sell the car at MSRP. I told them to screw themselves and walked out. Never buy a car from them.

I asked one Service Writer if I can have a demo (warranty), and he said he did not know how to do the demo's. So I had to go track down the apparently one SW who did know how, Mario.

Mario??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe it's simply because I have to work with the guy...

...suffice it to say, most board members here have FORGOTTEN more about Subaru than he'll ever know, IMHO.

...which makes it more ironic that Mario was the only one at the time who knew how to do the paperwork for granting a loaner to a customer. John did not.

I remember Mario from when he was a gopher and picked me up at the Ferry, and was glad when John L promoted him. I'll happily put-up with someone who is not knowledgeable on Subarus if they can save me a trip to the E.Francisco Enterprise.

I frankly have come across very few service writers who actually know more about my cars than I do.

I frankly have come across very few service writers who actually know more about my cars than I do.

I've got a good service adviser here, and a great lead shop tech, both more knowledgeable than me. But my manager realizes how much I know about scoobs and wants me to get more involved with service advising...

Posting that I got my Legacy GT Wagon from the Internet Sales Manager Larry Fung at Carlsen Subaru. The manager did try to sell me extended warranty ($1000), perma plate sealant ($500), and pre-paid servicing (which I did take - $900 for 3 years / 45,000 mile of service).

I want to order an 07' OB xt from Stevens Creek, cause the lowest price.

They try to sell me the same services but for the ridiculous price(extended warranty 6yr/100,000 ($2000), perma plate sealant ($600), and pre-paid servicing ($1700 for 3 years / 45,000 mile of maintenance service).

Can I buy the car at Stevens Creek, then buy the services from other dealers??

and is it worth to take the pre-pay maintenance service, or just find the lowest price dealer for maintenance each time??

Don't ever buy pre-paid maintenance, it's a huge dealer profit add-on, and the permaplate is nothing but a $600 wax job. Total rip-off!

You can shop for the extended warranty online if you must have it. You can get it here much cheaper, and it's the same OEM warranty that you buy at the dealer. It even comes with a money back guarantee if you never use it.

Dealers love to use these add-ons as profit items, so even though you're getting a low price on the car, they still rip you off.

I would get the best price out of stevens creek and then call around and see if the more repitible dealiers would beet it or at least match it. And at Santa Cruz, they have the customer for life program with all the cars they sell: free oil changes for 60k, Free Rental car with service, 10% off parts and labor for life.

They try to sell me the same services but for the ridiculous price(extended warranty 6yr/100,000 ($2000), perma plate sealant ($600), and pre-paid servicing ($1700 for 3 years / 45,000 mile of maintenance service).

and is it worth to take the pre-pay maintenance service, or just find the lowest price dealer for maintenance each time??

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Don't ever buy pre-paid maintenance, it's a huge dealer profit add-on, and the permaplate is nothing but a $600 wax job. Total rip-off!

You can shop for the extended warranty online if you must have it. You can get it here much cheaper, and it's the same OEM warranty that you buy at the dealer. It even comes with a money back guarantee if you never use it.

Dealers love to use these add-ons as profit items, so even though you're getting a low price on the car, they still rip you off.

But...but, the sealant guarantees that I don't have to wax my car for 5 years! Seriously, that is exactly what the finance guy said when he tried to sell that to me. :icon_bigg

If I read the maintenance booklet right, you can still get the 45K pre-paid servicing after you bought the car. Need to read that again to make sure.

They are marking up that pre-paid service and other extras for so much it's not even funny. Stevens Creek quoted me $1750 for the pre-paid service, and $695 for the sealant. $900 for the pre-paid maintenance is much much more reasonable.

But...but, the sealant guarantees that I don't have to wax my car for 5 years! Seriously, that is exactly what the finance guy said when he tried to sell that to me.

HA...They told me the same, 5years needn't wax? I doubt it. :confused:

Anyway, thanks for comments, I'll think about it.

I just calculated out that 45000 mile service plan. I dont know stevens creek's labor rates or what they charge for services, but $1700 is $319.23 more than all those services at regular price here at Maita.

Here is the breakdown:

3750 $28.99

7500 $106.48

11250 $28.99

15000 $234.00

18750 $28.99

22500 $106.48

26250 $28.99

30000 $419.43

33750 $28.99

37500 $106.44

41250 $28.99

45000 $234.00

Unless you can get the 45000 miles of service for like $1000-1100 I dont think it would be worth it. There are always coupons for cheaper oil changes and 5-10% off the other services, thats probably the best way to go.

I just calculated out that 45000 mile service plan. I dont know stevens creek's labor rates or what they charge for services, but $1700 is $319.23 more than all those services at regular price here at Maita.

Here is the breakdown:

3750 $28.99

7500 $106.48

11250 $28.99

15000 $234.00

18750 $28.99

22500 $106.48

26250 $28.99

30000 $419.43

33750 $28.99

37500 $106.44

41250 $28.99

45000 $234.00

Unless you can get the 45000 miles of service for like $1000-1100 I dont think it would be worth it. There are always coupons for cheaper oil changes and 5-10% off the other services, thats probably the best way to go.

They charge $495 for the 15K and 45K service, and $895 for 30K. That's the figure he threw out to try to convince me the pre-paid maintenance is a good deal... :icon_wink

Archived