LegacyGT.com

I guess I was thown off by the word passive.

If I understand you correctly, the engine off-boost is running at lower efficiency that it would at partial boost. I guess this is because of the low compression ratio of the engine, around 8:1 off-boost.

Which brings up another efficiency question I've been meaning to ask.

Why can't the fuel economy of the turbo engine equal or even exceed that of the normally-aspirated engine? Suppose the engine was crusing at such a speed that it was at its peak efficiency. Shouldn't it gain something over the N/A engine since it is extracting useful work from the exhaust gases? I know the turbo is also acting as a restrictor in the exhaust system which hurts efficiency some, but why don't the turbo cars at least equal the fuel economy of the N/A cars at some optimal speed range?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The easy trick to get better gas millage is to fill up with gas and then get to 5th gear, (this hasd to be done while driving and not standing still) reset the distance trip on the odometer while in 5th gear and then you will see you MPG AVG start to increase. I get 23 city sometimes and 18 average when i am sorta flooring it.

The easy trick to get better gas millage is to fill up with gas and then get to 5th gear, (this hasd to be done while driving and not standing still) reset the distance trip on the odometer while in 5th gear and then you will see you MPG AVG start to increase. I get 23 city sometimes and 18 average when i am sorta flooring it.

I've always wondered, about that on the automatic. I don't know if it helps mpg to drive around in manual mode and get to 5th quickly, i've done in but, not longer than one day.

Archived