LegacyGT.com

Hey Guys,

I have had my LGT 5EAT for two weeks now with ~500 miles on it. After 2 tanks of gas, I'm consistently getting 16mpg. I keep it under 2K rpm 90% of the time with 80% city driving....yet I'm still getting this....Kinda worried now :icon_conf Is this normal?? I wouldn't really mind if it's the usual with other LGTs....Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have an overall average of 23 mpg over the life of my car so far. On highway i get 30 mpg easy and city is generally and where between 19 and 22 depending on how heavy my foot is. I have found in my highway driving at least the car actually gets better milage when you are running some boost just not balls out. I would say change driving habbits some and see if it improves.

:dm: 2007 DGM LGT :dm:

:icon_twis 2003 Suzuki SV650S :icon_twis

keep in mind, you aren't even through your break in period. when i was flooring it and hitting boost always, i averaged about 16-18 mpg city driving and about 24-28 mpg hwy. now, with gutting my stock pipes and a protune, running 93 octane, i avg 19-21 mpg city and 26-30 mph hwy. :) and that's still with hitting boost here and there for fun.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

My carputer has been pretty much stuck at 21.3mpg regardless of how I drive. Actual pen and paper calculations show I really get around 20.5, with a commute that is about 50/50 city/highway by distance and more like 70/30 by time. I'd expect to be a little higher if I had an MT, drove more highway miles, or stayed out of the boost more.

Hey Guys,

I have had my LGT 5EAT for two weeks now with ~500 miles on it. After 2 tanks of gas, I'm consistently getting 16mpg. I keep it under 2K rpm 90% of the time with 80% city driving....

Thanks!

You might want to keep the revs between 2-3K, under 2K and you're actually wasting gas because you're lugging the engine. The 2-3.5K range would get you the best results. I'm pretty sure the manual mentions setpoints in shifting.

Speaking of this topic, I grabbed a handy excel spreadsheet to help you keep track of your mileage/oil changes/avg mpg/etc. off of another forum awhile back. I haven't even made it through my first tank of gas yet, but from what I can tell I'm getting about 24mpg, and that's romping on it a lot with a healthy mix of highway traveling.

http://www.softwarepirate.net/Car_Gas_Mileage_Tracking.xls

Here's the break down on MPG :

City driving, country back roads with little stop signs + hills, inclines, declines etc... you'll net about 16-18

Freeway / Hwy Driving cruising at about 65-70 MPH, you'll net anywhere from 22 MPG - 32MPG.

Hey Guys,

I have had my LGT 5EAT for two weeks now with ~500 miles on it. After 2 tanks of gas, I'm consistently getting 16mpg. I keep it under 2K rpm 90% of the time with 80% city driving....yet I'm still getting this....Kinda worried now :icon_conf Is this normal?? I wouldn't really mind if it's the usual with other LGTs....Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Lucky you, I consistantly get 13.3-13.5 mpg with city only driving.

21.5 mpg over the last 4k miles or so with about 60% of that traveling at 80mph on the interstate and the other 40% running around cities/towns. If I owned a civic my average would most likely be 4mpg higher, yet every time I had to drive the car I'd become depressed. And seriously, having a slightly higher mpg doesn't save you that much money.

A car that consistently gets 5 mpg higher than another car will save you around 1500 dollars after 100k miles. The legacy GT is worth an extra 1500 over a civic. I'm just ranting cause a friend of mine is determined to buy a civic in order to save on gas. I just don't think its worth it.

I have a 5MT and with some experimentation I was able to get around 22 average in mixed driving, driving nicely.. However after a week of driving like a grandmother I said fuckit, i can afford the extra fillup or two even with the current gas prices, and driving like an asshat i averaged 19.2 with mixed city and highway driving over a week or so.

Whats interesting is I've never reset my B trip-odo so my B is an average of my gas milage since I bought the car (i have avout 14k on it now) and its at a rock steady 19.2 over 14k :)

EPA estimates are 19 City 25 highway for the 5AT, so unless you do a lot of highway driving with steady 70mph or so runs for 20-30 plus miles you'll probably be at the same average i am.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

"City" driving mileage can vary widely. The turbo engine sucks up a lot of gas accelerating from a stop. So, if you're doing lots of stop and go, your mileage will suffer accordingly. If your traffic, light timing, etc. permit, you can get decent "city" mileage by trying to be smooth through traffic instead of moving like a jackrabbit between stops (although it's a lot of fun on boost all the time--you pay for that fun more than you would with a non-turbo car).

i was getting 13 mpg when the car was new. hahahahaha. now i get about 16 around town and thats with lots of boost and stage 2. i can manage 19mpg around town if i wanted now and highway i average about 26 to 27. most i have gotten is 31. this is all calculated by real #s not the car puter, but it is usually only off by 1 mpg too high. again i like to drive the car so better #s are def possible.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

I have found that the sweet spot for highway driving in my car is between 70 and 75 mph. If i go any faster i loose that 30 mpg mark and drop down. Seems to just be the perfect speed for good gad milage. It took me some time to figure out how to get the best milage out of the car. Now that i have it figured out i rarely try to but its nice to know.

:dm: 2007 DGM LGT :dm:

:icon_twis 2003 Suzuki SV650S :icon_twis

My 2001 Outback also gained mpg after 5k-6k on the odometer (Drove it in Vermont and East Tennessee). My 06 LGT has also shown an improvement in mpg and it's just over 11k. I can average 19-21 mpg around town, and 26-28 mpg on the highways around here. Just took it to Nashville a week ago, and the car did fantastic. My average speed was 75-85 mph.

Also, just to make it clear, there is a big difference from "around town" driving in East Tennessee. I lived outside of Boston for 28 yrs. In East TN, it's more rural where local speeds are higher. In the Boston area, if I had this LGT, I would probably be getting closer to 16 mpg average.

Drove to Boston once from Vermont with my 2001 Outback several times. The drive down and back I got an average of 28-30 mpg. However, driving in the Boston area (within the 128 belt) I got 16 mpg. Ouch.

When I drive like a normal person, I get ~19-21 city and 25-30 highway. When my foot gets heavy, I get 15-17city and 20-21 highway.

Try driving the car normal instead of being too "light" or heavy on the car.

Yeah the leggy isn't exacly a fuel sipper. I've tried various ways to maximize the fuel economy of my car as well. What I've discovered is....... I recommend to anyone who wants to improve their driving technique for fuel efficency keep that instantonus consumption read out on and learn to work the car to keep those numbers as high as possible.

My observations.

1) Fuel grade seems to have little impact on fuel economy I get about the same fuel millage with 87 vs 93 octane. Over many tankfuls and months of each

2) I average about 19.8mpg with a 50/50 city/highway mix with most of my city driving sitting at lights idling. If I drive like an absolute granny and skip shift 1-3-5 and use the cruise control on the freeway (requires me to go slightly slower then the general flow of traffic) I can kick fuel economy up to about 20.5ish. If I don't run the A/C I can get about 21ish on the same commute

3) Drafting has a huge impact on fuel economy in the LGT. If I'm behind a typical gas guzzler read SUV, I find I can push my car to 28-30mpg on the highway. When the legacy punches its own way through the air I see about 24.5-25.5 on the highway at 75.

Makes me think the areodynamics aren't that good on the LGT as I can get about a 20% increase in fuel economy by drafting. Easy to do with the congested freeways around here.

4) I find that the quality of the gas has an impact. I see generally better millage with shell.

This is all very unscientific, but the LGT is not a fuel sipper. My GF's 06 Passat with the 2.0T is a fuel sipper. I can routinely get 34-36mpg at 65mph on the freeway and driven very carefully around town I see 26. I'm amazed how well the Passat responds with the right driving technique.

I've also noticed to on the LGT that its very hard to keep it from dipping really low in fuel economy. If you watch the instantanous display on the mpg meter it waivers alot without changing throttle position. Also its hard to get it above 25mpg in anything other then flat steady speeds. I can't even get it to keep 25mpg at 25mph in 4th.

I'll second the hypothesis (OK, more like seat-of-the-pants guess) that running a little bit of boost is more efficient than no boost at all. The only measure I have for it is running 1 mile in 4th at 55 mph on a very flat surface, then shifting to 5th. According to the carputer, 4th was 5 mpg more efficient. Huh...
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Hey Guys,

Thanks!

Well first off to make you feel better, mileage will improve after your first oil change and a little thereafter.

Second. 90% below 2krpm with 10% being mashing the gas till the needle hits redline and you are launching like a bat of hell is not an economical driving style.

Smooth and even, and avoid mashing the pedal to the floor, it doesn't seem to get you anywhere much faster than 1/2-3/4 throttle, and seems to just dump gas into the chamber to quench heat and prevent detonation.

I drive similar ratios of city to highway as you, and I went from averaging 16.7MPG by the trip computer to about 19.2. By the pump I was getting about 16 and am now gettin about 18.5.

Also check your tire pressure. The dealer had delviered it with only 25psi per tire. I've found about 36psi per wheel improves wet weather traction, general feel, and milage.

Archived