LegacyGT.com

???? view first unread post not working???

What the title says.

WHen I go to my control panel and click on the little orange arrow it has always gone to the first unread post. Or I can go to the thread and click on the "view first unread post", but it always just goes to the beginning of the thread.

Been doing it all day.

What's up?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nothing new, it happens because read markers are cookies based and are sometimes inaccurate. We have always stored the markers in your cookie. I can store the markers in the database, but then the site takes a performance hit.

Tide I’m having a similar problem…closed the forum around 6:30pm local time had dinner did some other stuff then come back 3 hrs later and the home page says there are 249 new posts but when I click on the new posts button it shows 11 pages of new posts showing everything from the entire day.

Before going to dinner I read this thread and actually cleared my cash and cookies I get the same “issue” with ie and ff.

When did you switch the settings to be client side vs. server side?

EDIT: Also the fowum URLs have changed...they use to be php=XXXXXX but are now the names of the threads...

http://legacygt.com/forums/site-suggestions-questions/37517-view-first-unread-post-not-working.html

hum....JPG.0ab9daea41ff0c7ba5b4f777c4ec968a.JPG

Ok,

Tide......

you have it set so that after a member views or posts in a thread, it dissapears from the "new posts" "user CP".

Another forum im on is set to this. to re-view these threads you have click the "view all subscribed threads" button.

the threads do not reapear until another member posts in said thread.

Do you mind eliminating this?

EDIT:

this also causes you to see all subscibed threads (40 at a time depending on your settings)

from any date instead of recently updated like before.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

more important than seeing your own recent posts......I very much prefered the fact that "New Posts" basically filtered posts so well that you only saw truly new posts since your last logoff/logon. sometimes it was just a handful of posts. now it puts up something like 20 pages of "new" posts???????

This option controls how threads and forums are marked as read.

1.) Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the cookie timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies.

This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2.) Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum.

This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3.) Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read.

This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

huh? what setting specifically are you referring to?

Ok,

Tide......

you have it set so that after a member views or posts in a thread, it dissapears from the "new posts" "user CP".

Another forum im on is set to this. to re-view these threads you have click the "view all subscribed threads" button.

the threads do not reapear until another member posts in said thread.

Do you mind eliminating this?

EDIT:

this also causes you to see all subscibed threads (40 at a time depending on your settings)

from any date instead of recently updated like before.

Tide I’m having a similar problem…closed the forum around 6:30pm local time had dinner did some other stuff then come back 3 hrs later and the home page says there are 249 new posts but when I click on the new posts button it shows 11 pages of new posts showing everything from the entire day.

Before going to dinner I read this thread and actually cleared my cash and cookies I get the same “issue” with ie and ff.

When did you switch the settings to be client side vs. server side?

EDIT: Also the fowum URLs have changed...they use to be php=XXXXXX but are now the names of the threads...

http://legacygt.com/forums/site-suggestions-questions/37517-view-first-unread-post-not-working.html

did you have red headed slut during dinner? :dm:

This Space For Rent

huh? what setting specifically are you referring to?

When i view a thread or post in a thread, then i leave that thread, if I hit New posts or user CP the thread no longer shows up on my new posts, user CP list.

this is a side effect of the new setting that you have used. It is annoying, because, it appears as thought the thread the you just viewed, has disapeared.

the only way to review the thread (unless another member posts in it, then it will appear in user cp/newposts) is to hit the "view all subscribed threads" button.

PITA:icon_mad:

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

It was changed back last night. Once again from the top:

LittleBlueGT reported a bug. I fixed the bug. Everyone bitched I fixed the bug (since now they actually had to read the thread to have it unmarked as new). So I put the bug back (all new threads are marked read at cookie logout time).

The MAJOR issue that I have is every time I log in and check my control panel everything looks normal. When I "open in new window" all of the threads they do not go to the unread posts, they either go to the beginning, or somewhere halfway through the thread. I then have to go to the last page of each thread to read the new posts. But then sometimes I have to go to the second or third last page and search for the last post.

This really makes navigating the new posts much harder.

BTW this is the case on all 6 computers I use for this site. All 6 worked perfect before, and now all 6 do the above.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to give the new system time to start building a read thread history again. Each computer is going to have a different read history as the setting is cookie based. If you're using 6 different computers is going to take quite a while to build that up.

BTW, 1608 posts and no donation? Bu11dogg2 will be PMing you soon. ;)

Still having same problem.

I have used the same computer three times today (other forums are all working properly) and the first unread post (it is the same thread) seems to go somewhere in May, not the current date.

Archived