LegacyGT.com

Should I be concerned?

MaStaMooN

Ordered my LGT on 8/24. Called salesman for the first time today and he tells me that my car is being difficult. Apparently the factory isnt making any Silver right now and they are having a hard time finding them anywhere else w/ the options I want (Pop Group 1 and STS). He says all Silvers w/ STS have a wing. Is this guy messing with me or does the factory not build cars to spec? He says right now the factory is building "blue" and next they are building "red" (or something to that effect). And that if they dont find a car that matches my options I will have to wait untill the factory starts building "silver" again. Whats up?

Update: Salesman calls me back and says "Would you mind if the car had 250 miles on it when you pick it up?" Of course I say yes but then he explains to me that they found a car in PA with no miles on it, but would have to send somebody to go pick it up and drive it to the dealership which is about 250 miles away. I told them Id rather be the one putting that many miles on a car im paying for. He said alright and we hung up. About 10 minutes later he calls back. He says his manager would pay me $.25 per mile they put on the car and give me the "3 year maintenance" deal. I told him I already have that coupon and $.25 is below the NJ rate for mileage on a car (business mumbojumbo).. The rate now is like 34 cents per mile. I told him Ill pass and to keep looking. I really thought a dealership could just put in the order with the factory and the factory would build your car to spec? Thats how my last car was.. Came with 7 miles on it right off the truck with the exact options I wanted. Arghhh.. Do I call another dealership and see if they can put the order in or wait to see what this guy is going to do? I dont need the car right away as I need to close on my new house first which is supposed to happen within the next week and a half. But its already been 26 days since I thought the car was ordered and thought it would be here within 2 or so more weeks. If they have to place the order now.. it could be another 8 weeks. What do you guys think?

Another Update: Dealer called me back and said they would flatbed the car here.. Meaning there would be no extra miles on it. Thats better. Im going to call him tomorrow and let him know If I want it or not. I told him I wouldnt be able to finish the purchase untill I close on my house. He said since I have a deposit on it, its my car and they wont touch it untill im ready. So I dont think this is a bad situation at all. When I call him tomorrow Im going to get the final details on it.. Ie. How many miles on it right now and what are the exact options it has (he says only the ones I wanted, but Im kinda uncertain that the exact car I wanted is out there). Do you guys see anything else I should ask him about before saying yes? He also said If they get it in and I dont want it, its no big deal.. so its really a no loss situation. -Jon

The only thing that gets me a little "off" is that I was told the car was "ordered" when I dropped off the deposit. Now I feel that maybe they forgot to order it and when I came-a-calling, they scrambled and made up this story to cover their asses. Who can I contact to ask about the ordering/building schedual of SoA?

Walk away from the dealer, it's getting too complicated. Now I know certain factories are more flexible than others, but that sounds suspiciously like salestalk BS designed to steer you away from an order. Sounds like a bait and switch tactic to me... This is why I won't be ordering from Subaru. Certain car companies, like BMW or Scion encourage and promote ordering a car exactly to your taste. Though one way or another, they've integrated certain processes so your order gets placed and fulfilled. It's not just some slick sales talk designed to get you into the showroom. The last thing on Subaru's mind right now is how to effectively handle a custom order in their factory. From the posts I've read here about people ordering, it just seems like a the whole process from the order to delivery is unorganized.

As far as ordering the car, I beleive that you should wait for the one that was ordered (or call Subaru to see what's up with it!). As far as it being unorganized, I am not too sure about that. It's just that there were issues with the plant, that have been remedied, for the most part. Even recalls were found quick enough (air bags, bolt torque on the axles) etc. So, as they made some mistakes, which have been cleared up, that may have consumed some time to rectify, and thus, output of cars has slightly slowed down. I ordered mine, and was told 6-8 weeks, and low and behold, it was there in the allotted timeframe. No negative issues there...and at that rate, everything that I ordered is on/in the car. No messing up there. My advice, wait for your ordered car...or check with Subaru. They will take care of you, one way or another. If not, take the one that is being 'flat-bedded' and ask them for a couple of free items (rubber mats, or wheel locks, etc) that won't affect their price, and will make you a happy customer. Just my $0.02 Later, i.

Problem is the car was never ordered. I spoke with the salesman yesterday and asked why I got written confirmation that the car was ordered, yet when I called asking for status, I find that the car actually wasnt ordered. He tells me that he placed the order with his GM or whatever and was told the car was ordered. He only found out that it wasnt ordered when he asked his GM for a status. He was then told that the car wasnt ordered and to find one on a lot for me. He admitted that it wasnt right what happened, but if I want a car soon, I should take this one that has "under 30" miles on it, otherwise we could place the order now and wait the 45-60 days for the car. Im torn because I want the car now but Id feel better if I got the car right off the truck and not one that has been sitting on a lot for a couple of weeks "not being test driven". Anyway, the car is being brought to the dealership and I have first dibs on it. If I think it has too much mileage on it or just dont want it, I can place the order then. Thanks for the thoughts guys :) - Jon

Archived