LegacyGT.com

spec.B vs Infinity G35

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...The big question: Can I live with RWD and driving in snow like I do?

THAT is the million dollar (OK $34,000) question.

RWD in the snow is not good. If you are really that close between the cars after you test drive the 07MYs, I'd go for the AWD if you are in an area that gets pounded by winter's wrath.

And if you don;t want the AWD with AT, then it's the Spec B.

But I agree with the others...test drive the 07MYs first. I wouldn't bother testing the 06MY G35, since it is likely going to drive significantly different than the 07MY.

Good luck!

I'm now deciding between the LGT and Spec.B. Leaning towards spec.B again. This time no Brembos.

LGT w/

full turboback

swaybars

pads, SS lines, fluid

NAV system with mp3 capability (maybe find some with HD)

17x8 rims & tires for summer

winter tires

Spec.B

downpipe

swaybars

pads, SS lines, fluid

sell spec.B rims

17x8 set of rims and tires

17 x 7 winter rims and tires

I believe there WILL be some performance to be gotten from the 6 speed.

I'm also liking the steering wheel volume controls.

I actually think the Spec-B with 6-spd will be slower in the straight line. The 6-spd is ~150 lbs heavier than the 5-spd. So the '07 Spec-B will have a handicap against the LGT to start with. You probably don’t need to do the 2-3 shift for 0-60 in the 6-spd but you will probably have to do the 4-5 shift for the quarter mile run. That will add a few tenth. In the end the 6-spd will be more suitable for autocross and track use.

I'm now deciding between the LGT and Spec.B. Leaning towards spec.B again. This time no Brembos.

I hear ya. I'm going to be getting rid of my WRX in march 2008 and i'm torn between a Spec.B and a Evo IX MR (or X if its out).

With the right (snow) tires, RWD can do well in snow.

-Mike-

The question then becomes...How much snow in Clifton Park, NY

OOOOH...looked it up on google maps. LOTS of snow in CLifton Park, NY.

RWD w/snow tires is no match for AWD when the snow is measured in feet!

The question then becomes...How much snow in Clifton Park, NY

OOOOH...looked it up on google maps. LOTS of snow in CLifton Park, NY.

RWD w/snow tires is no match for AWD when the snow is measured in feet!

I wasn't comparing AWD v. RWD. Just the misconception that because it's RWD, it has to drive poorly in snow. I have several friends with RWD cars that mount snow tires during the winter months and make it around just fine. I do agree, however, that you will definitely have a greater amount of control/ability with AWD+snow tires.

And I know about snow... I lived in Erie, PA for a period of time. ;)

-Mike-

[quote=rallysquirrel

I've priced it out. For a spec B to have same hp figures ....

Actually, it is the other way around... you should be asking yourself how much you'd have to dump into the G35 to make it as fast as the Legacy. I've driven both and bought the GT Limited - much more fun to drive, plus AWD for the bad weather days, plus about $8-9K cheaper. It wasn't even close.

Also, although the Legacy is already faster then the G35, your mods should be an uppipe, downpipe, and Cobb AP for starts. That is good for 305hp and 345 ft lbs for a measly $1200. Faster than the STI and without the boy racer looks.

the '07 Spec.B doesn't have an uppipe anymore. Some sort of an air pump is replacing it.

I do plan on downpipe and AP when available for the SI system. I don't need any more power than that.

Unfortunatelly our highway system doesn't let you go 85 mph legally, let alone 100mph or more.

D0WNxSH1FT

snow and RE92 DON'T mix. Esp. with my driving. I pushed my Gislaved snow tires to the limit.

Sorry G35, you're not on my list anymore.

I'm getting a Spec.B ....looking for "decent" snow tires that come on 17". High performance snows are hard to come by in 16", let alone 17".

the '07 Spec.B doesn't have an uppipe anymore. Some sort of an air pump is replacing it.

It still has an uppipe. What it doesn't have is the catalytic converter in the uppipe.

phoenix96

2006 Legacy GT Ltd · 2011 Outback 3.6R Ltd · 1992 SVX

2006 Outback 3.0R VDC · 2009 Forester 2.5X

2002 Outback VDC · 1996 Outback 2.5L · 1986 GL-10

Because you have AWD.
Yea i know, i was talking about the Legacy not the G35. Of course the G would need Blizzak's or an equivalent.

D0WNxSH1FT

snow and RE92 DON'T mix. Esp. with my driving. I pushed my Gislaved snow tires to the limit.

For normal driving the RE92's got me around all winter w/o a problem. Of course they suck on dry pavement (i would get blow around on the highway), and they suck in the rain. But if you HAVE to use them they are acceptable.

I use my stock rims/RE's in the winter and the rest of the year i have 225/40/18 Falken Ziex ZE512 all seasons. I was gonna get T1R's but decided to save some cash.

I've priced it out. For a spec B to have same hp figures AND Brembos I'd have to spend about $40k or about $6k more over the Infinity. ($34 for Spec B, $3k for Brembos, $2k for exhaust and flash when available, at least $1.5k on wheels and tires)

edit: I guess I won't be needing Brembo's but new pads, SS lines, and fluid will do the trick

I use my car to mostly to work 10 miles each way. About 1x a month do a 300 mile trip for business

OK now! Let's start by comparing apples to apples. A 2006 Infiniti G sedan with the 6MT + Navi etc rings the register at $ 38,350.00. I'm pretty darn sure that the 2007 is not gonna be any cheaper. So, you already have a $ 3,350.00 benefit buying the Subie compared to the Nissan. And this, my friend, is using 2006 MSRP figures for the Infiniti. As far as performance is concerned...well, enough said. The 2006 Spec.B walked all over the 2006 G not to mention the Audi A4 Quattro in a recent Road and Track comparo. Throw a healthy dose of some SI-Drive magic in there and you have some serious thinking to do.

Now, I will hand it to you that the 2007 Niss....erm, Infiniti does have an interior to put the Legacy to shame (see attached spy pics). The exterior styling, on the other hand, does nothing for me. They're doing what the Germans did back in the days...same sausage--different length.

Lastly, do me a favor and pick up a recent issue of CR from a local bookstore...the question of reliablility should easily be put to rest. Happy auto hunting! :)

Cheers!

G351.jpg.9076d7c58ee2d2fd665c2307eecd7c40.jpg

G352.jpg.c87eb2a74b0939dd0aa9b63d783706e3.jpg

G353.jpg.2b3db2d77ef7605442a3aa426da8c3b1.jpg

wood trim ewwwwwwwwww!

I think the wood trim looks OK. What is odd though is the chrome lip on top of the trunk housing the rearview camera for the Navi. It almost looks like an afterthought. A very cheap design cue for a $ 40 G vehicle.

oh wow i thought that was just a lot of sun reflecting off it.

I like wood in british cars, and actually the Q45 has nice yellow-ish wood w/ a light cream colored interior. But wood on a dark interior looks kinda of tacky and i doubt that is real wood like you would find in a Jaguar, etc.

The Outback 2.5XT Limited that in the garage has wood accents but id prefer a brushed aluminum.

Have been on vaction so I just saw this thread....

LGT or G35.....go modded LGT.

I would pass on the Spec B & build the LGT up myself.

In a post on this thread you mentioned the Magnum R/T.....It was on my short list also. You know it can be purchased w/awd.....

I have been riding & driving in a friends 06 Magnum SRT8 while on vacation, his is a rwd but he told me they make a awd version also.

He has just a few bolt on mods:

Catback exhaust

Cold air intake

Custom tune

My LGT has not been driven in over a week so it might be a little "out of sight out of mind" but the SRT8 feels stronger as a daily driver that my LGT does.

The car does not come "out of the hole" very well though being rwd....but with a AWD option...:)

Price....buddy purchased his as a Demo around 2300 miles the mods were installed by the dealer.

Not saying it is better than the LGT....but it is a impressive package for the $.

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Archived