LegacyGT.com

Wagon vs Sedan suspension

SnarlyMarley

The WRX wagon has a different rear track and smaller sway bar than the sedan. I think this is because of the non flared wagon fenders. Is this the same case for the Legacy? If it is a nice upgrade to the wagon suspension would be adding a sedan rear sway bar just like the WRX guys. James

[quote name='SnarlyMarley']The WRX wagon has a different rear track and smaller sway bar than the sedan. I think this is because of the non flared wagon fenders. Is this the same case for the Legacy? If it is a nice upgrade to the wagon suspension would be adding a sedan rear sway bar just like the WRX guys. James[/quote] I think not James. The wagon and sedan rear suspension are the same (or so I hear), so no quick fixes this time!

[quote name='chucktoo']Does any one know what Subaru changed in the suspensions between the Legacy GT and Outback XT to get the height differences ? Can Legacy coilovers be used on and Outback ? Thanks Charlie[/quote] I'm pretty sure they have the same suspension geometry as the OB is based on the Legacy platform (wagon). THe biggest difference is probably the springs/struts. I would presume that you could use Legacy Wagon coilovers on an OB with ease.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci']Yah I also heard they use the same underbody including suspension through out the sedan and wagon.[/quote] I'm curious though, as I pointed out in another thread, the LGT wagon has a ground clearance of 5mm higher than the LGT sedan. Nobody seemed to know as to whether or not that was caused by slightly different suspension. I posted the GVWR and the GAWR of the LGT Limited sedan but nobody did so with a LGT Wagon. I don't know if a SOA rep would know why the LGT wagon has a 5 mm higher ground clearance and if it's caused by different suspension or not. But until we find out why, it's possible the suspension setting IS different between the sedan and wagon in the LGT.

[quote name='SC GT']From what I am piecing together from the thread regarding JDM suspensions, in comparing the JDM GT suspensions, it appears that the sedans and wagons may share the same struts and front springs, but different rear springs.[/quote] Usually, the wagons get stiffer rear springs, in case someone actually wants to use the cargo bay. :lol: Kevin

That makes sense. Just out of curiousity, what's the GVWR and GAWR (front and rear) of the wagon? This way we can compare it to the sedan and see if the wagon really does have stiffer rear springs to carry more weight. That would explain why it's ground clearance is 5 mm more and part of why it's overall height is about 2 inches taller too.

[quote name='gtguy'][quote name='SC GT']From what I am piecing together from the thread regarding JDM suspensions, in comparing the JDM GT suspensions, it appears that the sedans and wagons may share the same struts and front springs, but different rear springs.[/quote] Usually, the wagons get stiffer rear springs, in case someone actually wants to use the cargo bay. :lol: Kevin[/quote] Cargo bay? I thought you guys just bought the wagon for their looks. ;)

[quote name='SC GT'][quote name='gtguy'][quote name='SC GT']From what I am piecing together from the thread regarding JDM suspensions, in comparing the JDM GT suspensions, it appears that the sedans and wagons may share the same struts and front springs, but different rear springs.[/quote] Usually, the wagons get stiffer rear springs, in case someone actually wants to use the cargo bay. :lol: Kevin[/quote] Cargo bay? I thought you guys just bought the wagon for their looks. ;)[/quote] Well, that too. After all, friends don't let friends drive sedans. :lol: Kevin

[quote name='rao']GVW of both the GT sedan and wagon are the same at 4435 lbs. Front GAWR is the same at 2295 lbs. Rear GAWR is the same at 2335 lbs. Yet another reason why wagons are silly :D[/quote] Yo mama. :lol: And I'll keep that in mind when, rather than taking the wheels off my bike to fit it in the trunk, I can just pop the liftgate and throw the whole thing in, wheels and all. Back on topic, the WRX wagon had stiffer springs than the WRX sedan. The weight difference between the two cars is about 80 lbs. The weight difference (total) between Legacy sedan and wagon is about 50 lbs, which does make one wonder if stiffer springs for the wagon are necessary. Kevin

Kevin, I agree with you. I like wagons and WISH more people that need reasonable amounts of cargo room would get them instead of a Tahoe! But the when it comes to weights, the base LGT wagon is 55 pounds heavier than the base LGT sedan. But when you look at the Limited models the difference balloons to 70 pounds more. Again, not a huge amount, but I'm guessing it's because of the dual sunroof the Limited wagon has, while the Limted sedan only has one sunroof. If both models have the same GVWR and the same GAWR for both front and rear, I wonder why the wagon has that 5 mm extra ground clearance. Maybe Subaru really did give the wagon just a bit stiffer rear springs, but kept the weight rating the same for ease.

[quote name='dimil']BTW, Owners manual also shows that sedan has more camber in rear.[/quote] Yes, but neither model has very much. The WRX wagon, for example, had a stock camber setting of -1.3. With the front set at -.9, it was very nice. I've forgotten what the GT's stock rear camber setting is, but it isn't -1.3. You can tell that just by eyeballing a GT sedan, parked next to a WRX sedan. Kevin

Archived