LegacyGT.com

225 vs 235 vs 245

BigT

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

personally, I like having a 245/35/18 on a 18x8.5... or if you have aftermarket coilovers that have a smaller diameter shock body and that you want more cushion for the ride, 245/40/18 for the sedans are really nice.

Dont expect to be blazing fast with the acceleration, but at least you get more gearing (top speed) out of the car per gear.

Keefe

nah....both are significantly larger than stock. 245/35/18 is close to stock OD and fits well on an 8" wheel. 235/40/18 is more of an STi size (they start with wider tires to begin with).

• 1 year later...

Bump for old thread.

Is 235/45/17 on 7.5" really bad idea?

I'd like both extra contact path plus bit of extra sidewall height. In a stiff tire like RE050A PP I'd hope it could be okay.

Or I should play it safe and stick to 225/45/17 on 7.5"?

The specs say it's acceptable combo:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Potenza+RE050A+Pole+Position&tirePageLocQty=

I have 225/45/17 on 7.5" and I WOULDN'T go any wider - the car would be floating on too much extra sidewall sticking out. 225 max for 7.5"

Bump for old thread.

Is 235/45/17 on 7.5" really bad idea?

I'd like both extra contact path plus bit of extra sidewall height. In a stiff tire like RE050A PP I'd hope it could be okay.

Or I should play it safe and stick to 225/45/17 on 7.5"?

The specs say it's acceptable combo:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Bridgestone&model=Potenza+RE050A+Pole+Position&tirePageLocQty=

• 10 months later...
my choice would be a 225 wide on a 8" wide for overall lateral control.. a 245 and a 255 with a 9" or 8.5" would be the better choice IMO.

Bumping old thread... For new set of rubber I was set on going with 225/45/17 on 7.5" rim (STI BBS). But I am now wondering if 245/40/17 on 8" rim would be a better choice (especially that I could get 17x8 +53 offset wheel, which could spare me fender rolling, I have coilovers so inboard clearance should not be an issue). Of course better might mean different things.... Car is primarily street driven, occasional autox or hdpe event. I'd like to get more lateral traction, but don't like the acceleration penalty involved with a heavier wheel.... the tires in question are Dunlop Z1 Star Specs.

Advice? Thx!

235/40/17 would be better. the 245/40 es tu grande

The only downside is lower sidewall height than stock. I like the touch higher sidewall of 225/45/17 and 245/40/17

i got 235/40/18 and they rubbed. unsure if it's an offset problem or what.

i think 245/35/18 might be better although it's so incremental i'd think that if i had issues with 235/40 im gonna have the same issues with 245/35

i think the diameter difference is in millimeters :(

car for sale. PM me!

Bumping old thread... For new set of rubber I was set on going with 225/45/17 on 7.5" rim (STI BBS). But I am now wondering if 245/40/17 on 8" rim would be a better choice (especially that I could get 17x8 +53 offset wheel, which could spare me fender rolling, I have coilovers so inboard clearance should not be an issue). Of course better might mean different things.... Car is primarily street driven, occasional autox or hdpe event. I'd like to get more lateral traction, but don't like the acceleration penalty involved with a heavier wheel.... the tires in question are Dunlop Z1 Star Specs.

Advice? Thx!

if you have coilovers then a 245/40/17 on a 8"wide is a great combo. this is what i run as my daily driver setup.

if you have coilovers then a 245/40/17 on a 8"wide is a great combo. this is what i run as my daily driver setup.

AFAIR you were running 225/45/17 before, correct? Did you notice any downsides after the switch, particularlt decrease in steering responsivnes? Any sloppines?

The last I guess depends on the tire. The thing is that 8" rim is the minimum size for 245/45/17 tire. OTOH, 7.5" rim is the middle size for 225/45/17. I like "stretched" tires... I believe it sharpens response and (to me) looks better.

AFAIR you were running 225/45/17 before, correct? Did you notice any downsides after the switch, particularlt decrease in steering responsivnes? Any sloppines?

The last I guess depends on the tire. The thing is that 8" rim is the minimum size for 245/45/17 tire. OTOH, 7.5" rim is the middle size for 225/45/17. I like "stretched" tires... I believe it sharpens response and (to me) looks better.

I havent run 225/45/17 in 3 years now. I have 8" wide oz ultralaggeras with 245/40/17 re-01r tires. this is the best street setup ive personally ever run. no downsides at all. tirewalls are vertical with no stretch or squeezed look. No sloppiness or steering numbness. but then again, IMO, that has more to do with tire side wall stiffness and compound. you will get alot more response from a good tire than from stretching a mediocre tire. thats why autoxers like to shoe horn the widest r-comp tire possible on to the stock rims in stock class. the stiffness of the sidewall and the stickiness of the compound override any slop that ther may be in the sidewall from squeezing a wide tire in a narrow rim.

Guest LGT-NY
235/40/17 is alittle to short of a side wall imo, if you are sticking with a 235 width, id go 235/45/17 to get some extra rubber between the rim and the road.

Thats for a 17x8 whel right Josh?

Guest LGT-NY
I was actually wondering this too. You think 235/40/18 would be too short of a sidewall or too thin of a width for an 18x8 wheel?

Archived