LegacyGT.com

MX-5 with Retractable Hardtop

Definately been a fan of the latest Miata, but I was a little skeptical about rumors of adding a complicated, heavy retractable hard top to such a light and responsive package. Well it turns out that Mazda is doing just that and I must say that I am pretty impressed with the results.

1. The new blue looks fantastic- I see a little Regal Blue in there

2. Its amazing that it seems that they were able to fit a retractable hardtop into where the soft top usually resides. Usually getting a retractable hardtop meant that some of your trunk space is going to go bye-bye, but this system makes the one in the $100k SL55 look ungainly and the one in the XLR look ridiculous.

3. Very speculative rumors are saying that it will at 75-100 lbs to the Miata and that it will cost about as much as getting the removable hardtop for the car.

Sounds promising, and definately something the Miata camp has that the Solstice camp doesnt seem to have considered. :woowoo:

http://www.speedsportlife.com/photopost/data/500/gblms06_001s.jpg

http://forum.miata.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=20638

http://www.miata.net/news/rht.html

It probably will NOT impinge trunk space.

in a miata, new or old, the fuel tank is stacked above the rear axle and suspension, which SLA, is pretty short. Above that is the convertible top well. It was probably designed to accommodate this roof from the drawing board, just hasn't been released until now.

the trunk is behind a bulkhead, aft of the suspension, fuel tank, and convertible top well. Unlike the SolSky twins, which have the tops resting in the common trunk space.

This is really cool. Too bad I don't really like the rest of the styling, and already have a Miata that I have no intention of replacing yet. Maybe down the line...

Now in another year or two, if mazda pulls of a nice styling re-fresh, tones down the fender flare lines, (I like the fact that they are there, but they are completely ungraceful.) and straightens up the front and rear styling and lights, I might be really interested in replacing my wife's 99.

BTW, the older miatas can take a full size soft suitcase, an additional attache-style bag, and a few small items. Enough for two people for the weekend, as long as there are no plans to buy lots of things along the way, (in which case sacrifice some of the luggage, duffel bag with four sets of clothes will probably cut the suitcase space in half, or more.)

I doubt you could fit that much in a SolSky IF you plan on lowering the top during the trip. More than that with the top staying up... but you have to mess with the top to open the lid... And it holds more than twice what an MR-Spyder will, unless you sacrifice the passenger for luggage.

I think it would be interesting to see what the Mazdaspeed version would be like. The MX-5 already has a 6MT option, but DFI and a turbo on the MZR engine (like MSP6, but with an FMIC, and bigger than the old mazdaspeed Miata's FMIC...) would be interesting.

I hope this car doesn't preclude Mazda coming out with the production version of the Kabura Coupe, wich is also NC-Miata based.

That's pretty cool - too bad it'll probably eat the entire trunk

Actually the hardtop design for the Miata is designed to not impede on the trunk one bit. Granted, the trunk may be smaller for the hardtop than with the softtop, but the trunk space will not change whether you have the top up or down.

Pretty impressive, kind of makes the roof on the SL55 and XLR look a little silly.

It is definately going to add weight, and higher up, but I wonder if it will increase the rigidity of the car, having a metal roof over your head instead of cloth. If I was considering the Miata this would be VERY appealing in the northeast.

Now bring on the 240-hp, 6-speed Mazdaspeed Miata with this option and you have a VERY tempting package... something that makes the s2000 look a little... dated?

That's pretty cool - too bad it'll probably eat the entire trunk

-3 As stated previously, it's been designed specifically NOT to intrude on the (still rather limited) trunk space. Pretty impressive accomplishment, actually, since even the Solstice SOFT top takes up the whole trunk on that vehicle.

But it's lost on me, as extra weight is not an acceptable trade-off. And I heard 200+ lbs and $2000 over the soft top - not good. My '02 is strictly a toy: if I can't drive it with the top down, then I choose not to drive it at all, mostly. But this should appeal to large group of people that like the idea of having a convertible for the occasional short weekend blast, but who really prefer to talk on their cell phones while commuting on weekdays, since it should be more quiet inside. I get depressed seeing more and more convertibles being driven top-up on gorgeous days, and it seems that invariable the driver is talking on the phone. :(

As for me, I LIKE the fact that I can't hear the damn phone when I'm driving the convertible.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Amen Brother. I don't even own a cell anymore, and I don't miss the interruption.

The things I would like about a hard top would be not worrying about security as much. I am always afraid that someone with a sharp knife will cut the top, reach around, unlock the door, and either steal the car, or any sort of stuff that is in it. I know that they can just break the side windows, but I still worry a bit leaving the Miata in a parking lot unattended.

Also, since our miata has to do some slight winter duty around town, and things, a nice cozy hard top would be nice, and to cut down on the noise a bit on longer weekend drives.

That is one reason I have never gotten the removeable hard top, although I have thought about it... I would hate to have a nice day with the lift-off hard top, and not be able to open the car up without stashing the hard top correctly.

Plus a fiberglass hard top is in addition to the folding soft top. At least with this, there is no soft top and mechanism aside from the hard top, there is only one top, that happens to be rigid.

Probably HUGELY better rearward visibility, too. The stock NB top rear window is nice due to it being glass and defrosted, but it's barely the size of a porthole, with HUGE blind spots to the rear quarters.

Archived