LegacyGT.com

Alignment Issues covered by Warrantee?

We have put just over 20K miles on out ’05 outback, and the outside edge of three of the four tires are worn bald, the rest of the tread is significantly deeper. This, to me, would indicate alignment problems. We are running BFG Traction T/As, with a 440 tread wear rating and a BFG 60K tread life warrantee (obviously it doesn’t cover this severely uneven wear), I had expected a good 40K miles out of these, especially since it is the family truckster, not an enthusiast weekend corner carver. The tires were rotated once at 10K miles as well.

Question is, has anyone else experienced alignment issues and has anyone had any luck getting Subaru to cover alignment under warrantee? The car hasn’t been driven off-road, or even on bad city streets, it pretty much sees highway and grocery store duty, so I really don’t think the alignment issues are related to harsh driving conditions.

~Scott & Nadia

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

225/60HR16 BFG Traction T/A's

You can usually get one done as a freebie under warranty early on, but 20k is probably well past when most dealers would consider it - can't hurt to ask, but don't be suprised if they decline.

It's not uncommon for a new car to be out of alignment, my 05 OBXT is the only one I've bought in recent years that appears to be ok - 3 out of 4 previous were off.

Wow, this is odd - I was just about to post about the similar thing happening to my '05 OBXT with just over 25K miles. It's just the rear tires that are wearing bald at the outside edges.

So, the consensus here seems to say that it's not covered... Now for my next question: since it's the 2 rear tires and it's an AWD - I'll have to replace all 4 tires, right? (and get an alignment also)

I've been seeing lots of alignment problems being discussed for MY 05 & 06. I'd tell the dealer that there is a persistant problem and that Subaru probalby already knows about it, even if though they aren't addressing it.

I bought my 06 OB Ltd. in May and noticed the freeway drift soon after taking it home. I took it in for an alignment and they covered it, however it still is drifting and I am taking it back this week.

It is obvious that there is a problem with these 2 model years.

I have that worn tire issue too. The left tire is a front one and the right one is a rear one. These only had 13,000 miles on them and you can see how badly they are worn on the sides. I would expect to see normal wear from cornering, but it seems kind of excessive to me.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/OCDetails2/Tires/tires-4.jpg

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

']There is a thing called Adjustment Coverage on 2005 Subarus and it's good for 3yrs/36' date='000mi. Adjustments are repairs that don't require parts replacement.[/quote']

Jon is correct and Subaru will cover 1 alignment during that time period.

I wouldn't be so quick to say it's a problem with the car, normal, everyday driving can knock an alignment out...potholes, speedbumps, railroad tracks, etc...

For the best tire wear, it's a good idea to get your alignment checked every 12 months or 12,000 miles, check the tire pressure every other fill-up and rotate the tires every other oil service.

I have had 6 brand new Subarus in the last four years. Yeah, I like new cars - new Subarus!

Every single one of them, WRX, VDC, LLB, LGT - all of them have pulled to the right. It's an inherent problem with Subaru.

I took my wife's LGT Wagon in because it was pulling to the right, they did an alignment - still pulled to the right.

So I found a shop outside the dealership here in SLC and he completely understood. We rotated the tires around (to correct possible tred grip) and actually modified the alignment so it would no longer pull. Now it's fantastic.

When I had my Tein H Tech springs put on he did the alignment as well.

Shop in SLC is called A-Bility Alignment.

I had the same problem on my '06, took it in and they did an alignment and moved the tires around. The maintenance guy told me to give it a few miles and the tread would wear in and everything would align correctly. 3800 miles and still waiting.....

for me after picking up the car from the service dept for the re-alignment, I could tell right away that the car tracking was dead center. So the alignment was perfect. But that was good for about 10 days. Now it tends to drift to the right again !@#!@#?? I take it easy going over dips or bumps because the car's bottom clereance is low compared to others. In addition to the alignment ailment I also have a persistent steering wheel simmering. The dealer's re-balancing didn't cure it despite of many attempts. The turbo boost can be a beast so I need to stable and predictable behavior.

• 3 weeks later...
We have put just over 20K miles on out ’05 outback' date=' and the outside edge of three of the four tires are worn bald, the rest of the tread is significantly deeper. This, to me, would indicate alignment problems. We are running BFG Traction T/As, with a 440 tread wear rating and a BFG 60K tread life warrantee (obviously it doesn’t cover this severely uneven wear), I had expected a good 40K miles out of these, especially since it is the family truckster, not an enthusiast weekend corner carver. The tires were rotated once at 10K miles as well.[/font']

Question is, has anyone else experienced alignment issues and has anyone had any luck getting Subaru to cover alignment under warrantee? The car hasn’t been driven off-road, or even on bad city streets, it pretty much sees highway and grocery store duty, so I really don’t think the alignment issues are related to harsh driving conditions.

~Scott & Nadia

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

225/60HR16 BFG Traction T/A's

I have had two outbacks (01 and 05) with the same issue: pulling to the right and outside edges of the tires wearing off quicker than the inside edges. I have visited the Subaru service depertment 4 times so far, and every time was told that the alignment is "within spec" and there is no problem. They don't even acknowledge the uneven tire wear. I am sick of it all and just giving up. I called SOA customer support, but it doesn't look like they are going to do anything about it. I told them "no more subaru for me" . Just for your information, I have another car I drive on the exact same roads. My other car does not pull, and does not have uneven tire wear. I also know it's not a tire issue (cross rotated tires several times by both Subaru and independent alignment shop - they confirmed it's not a tire/wheel issue).

hmm interesting. its been my experiance that subarus like to follow the road but i too notice myself turnin my steering wheel about a half inch to an inch to the left to drive straight. I have had 3 new subys in the last 3 years. they all do the same. but i dont get any excessive tire wear. my first thought would be to check the pressure and check if you have any nails in the tire.

well good luck!!

<:)))><

Jon is correct and Subaru will cover 1 alignment during that time period.

There's the answer/\,,you buy a new Subaru,get the alighnment checked even if it doesnt pull right or left.That way you know it was right from the start.

Archived