LegacyGT.com

Cobb Tuning vs OBX headers

zadok

sorry to revive an old thread, but I want to get something straight and ask a question.

I am looking to buy borla headers and the stromung high flow. If I understand this correctly, its best to heat wrap the headers to prevent a CEL?

Also, how cool does the outside of the heat wrap stay? I am worried about oil changes and getting at the oil filter since it would be surrounded by the borla. I usually run the car for a minute to get the oil flowing a bit better before I drain it. It wouldn't be very fun to slip off the filter and slap a hot header :eek:

Any tips from the guys with this installed?

thanks,

-BB98

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sorry to revive an old thread, but I want to get something straight and ask a question.

I am looking to buy borla headers and the stromung high flow. If I understand this correctly, its best to heat wrap the headers to prevent a CEL?

Also, how cool does the outside of the heat wrap stay? I am worried about oil changes and getting at the oil filter since it would be surrounded by the borla. I usually run the car for a minute to get the oil flowing a bit better before I drain it. It wouldn't be very fun to slip off the filter and slap a hot header :eek:

Any tips from the guys with this installed?

thanks,

-BB98

It's a double edge sword; the wrap keeps the heat in real well- you can almost put your hand on the header even right after shutting the car down. However, you best be careful not to get any oil on the header w/ the wrap as wraps are flammable (downside btw :icon_mrgr ). Even if you coat the wrap with the silicone paint, some oil may seep into the folds and to the backside of the wrap.

I wrap foil and a plastic bag around the header surrounding the oil filter when I change my oil.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived