LegacyGT.com

Head Gasket Problem on 2.5 H4?

Is it a popular problem on 2.5 H4 (turbo or non-turbo)? I have heard quite a few complains about Head Gasket leak of those engines, and it will cost a lot to fix it. Am I misleaded?

Thanks

I was talking to a friend of mine who was a mechanic. He said the older Scooby did have a head gasket problem. It always occured with the #3 cylinder if I remember correctly. He said one of the common problems was power loss. Once that started occuring, it's always the #3 cylinder's gasket. He hasn't seen any problems with the new Scoobs.

It's primarily 95-99 "Phase I" DOHC 2.5 [non-turbo] engines as in the Outback during that period. Early symptoms are sudden temporary temp spikes and combustion byproducts or bubbling in the coolant overflow tank. The job is around $1,200 at a garage if you didn't fry the motor. I had mine changed at 140K pre-emptively. Still going strong at 175K.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

My mom's 2002 Legacy and my friend's 2002 Legacy both had headgasket failures with under 40,000 miles on the clock. The symptoms included "gushing water" sounds when starting the car in the morning, and a faint burning smell at stop lights.

My mom's 2002 Legacy and my friend's 2002 Legacy both had headgasket failures with under 40,000 miles on the clock. The symptoms included "gushing water" sounds when starting the car in the morning, and a faint burning smell at stop lights.

The "gushing water" sound is just air in the heating core. It's pretty common sound in subbies. However, I guess if you lost enough coolant through the HGs that would cause air to get in the system and cause a "gushing water" sound.

9% is a lot in my book and I am sure 9% is watered down besides

Thats Subaru for you. Reputation of high quality my ass....or at least their more current stuff is crappy. I only had one problem with my '96. Ruptured cam seal. $200. Not a big deal.

As much as I rag on Honda/Acura for having crappy, rusty cars, my Prelude had very few mechanical problems.

The "gushing water" sound is just air in the heating core. It's pretty common sound in subbies. However, I guess if you lost enough coolant through the HGs that would cause air to get in the system and cause a "gushing water" sound.

Talk about power loss.

Archived